The Compleat Yamaha TY80 Thread!!

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    New MWVTA season is rapidly approaching. Doing some SERIOUS work on the Team TY for the season opener coming up in a couple weeks -

20200309_134359.jpg

More to come..... :evil
    TXNMGUY, trials935 and Huzband like this.
  2. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    With the 2020 Vintage opener a week away, that's a good time to swap engines, right?

20200312_153846.jpg

First time that the whole enchilada has been out of Teamie in the 11 years that we've owned it. The top-ends were always done "in frame". Once the OE engine was out, 11 years of League love and pampering became apparent -

20200312_154208.jpg

20200312_155554.jpg

I had freshened up a nice little Lincoln 110 MIG welder I had acquired a while back from an NMTA member that wanted a new Hobart. Sure welds thin material super nice sooo.....

I jammed an engine in it instead!! :lol3 the mill is the DT-based 5-speed engine that I had thrown together for Hammer's bike so he could finish out the season. With Hammer's engine done, this thing was just sitting on the bench. Besides, welding on that whomped cradle would have been lipstick on a pig. The Hater (chronicled elsewhere, I hated assembling used stuff without the benefit of at least a dingleberry hone) installed!

20200314_143310.jpg

Why an engine swap? Teamie's engine was starting to get a bit shy on compression in the years since it's last top end. The Hater fired up and was happy almost immediately. Couple of tweaks here and there and.....SanYo, here we come!! :D

More later.....
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be out helping Ronnie in the a.m. Lots of sand is the cure for TY80`s.:lol2
    jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Sand? As in shitty loose sand, not nice grippy sandSTONE that SanYo is rife with???

That tears it, we're out..... :bluduh

:lol3
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to even the playing field. Ronnie needs three more sections. He says it will be on the easy side.
    Brewtus likes this.
  6. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, he always says that.... :muutt

:D
  7. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My tank was completely stripped of paint so i went ahead and made a tab to replace the broken one. It isn't perfect but it will work nicely. IMG_3045.jpg IMG_3076.jpg IMG_3129.jpg IMG_3131.jpg
  8. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little more progress. Tank stickers, new pegs and new shocks.

I’m waiting on clutch plates and cables now. I’m waiting on fenders also but they may be a little bit before they arrive.

IMG_3148.jpg
    LowPSI, LemmeTry, Huzband and 4 others like this.
  9. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the tank stickers from?
  10. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found them on eBay.
    trials935 likes this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    GARRETT at 8 years old, just before we started to modify the bike for his height.

Attached Files:

12. upperleft

upperleft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question for you guys. It sounds like you all love these little TY80 bikes. I found one for $300 in my area. Says it runs but has low compression and needs carb work and he isn't sure on the year. looks like a late 70s to me.

I want a pike bike / play bike to ride around my yard and camp and practice wheelies and trials type riding. I am also pushing 250 lbs. Do you think this little 80 would suite me well for this? Looks likes parts are available on e-bay.

If I go look at it what should I look for? I know all the general stuff to look for when shopping for a used bike but are there any things specific to this model I should check? Any spots of the frame known to crack or parts that can't be found I should be aware of?

Thanks!
  13. Portlandtyist

Portlandtyist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TY80 fans! My mini TY burned through the aftermarket chain tensioner’s rubber piece. Any DIY or any on hand somewhere to replace it? I’ve seen nylon/ Teflon ones somewhere.
    Gracias
  14. goinsriding

goinsriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m getting close to having this one done. After market fenders are junk! IMG_3545.jpg
    slicktop, jonnyc21, Huzband and 4 others like this.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    We've (the League TY80 Trials team) have been horse-beating these things for over 10 years now. Never broken or even cracked a frame. Ever. Biggest problems with these are usually the butchery performed by previous owners.

80s were imported here in '74 and '75. Any imported into the US after '75 were grey market bikes. Got a pic?
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  16. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Horse-beating!?! :fpalm
    Huzband and Brewtus like this.
  17. Portlandtyist

Portlandtyist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I found a dealer in Spokane WA that had 4 of the rubber bits. 19$ + shipping. I also found a friendly outfit in U.K. that actually answered my emails (!) and has these for about 6£. Even plus shipping, much less than the dealer. SumoRubber in UK has tons of rubber and aftermarket parts for vintage Yamaha.

https://sumorubber.com
    Brewtus likes this.
  18. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Rented mule beating? :dunno
    jonnyc21, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  19. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    M
    My Grandpa always said.... Worked it like a $10 Mule!
  20. upperleft

upperleft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well looking through this thread made me decide this is the exact bike I need. I went and picked it up Friday. I guess this kids friend gave him the bike in boxes and he cobbled it back together. He was able to start it for me but I knew the engine needed work. I got it home and pulled the top end only to find a piece of the piston gone and only 1 ring on the cylinder... Seems like someone got into the engine and decided it was too much work to fix it and slapped it back together.

It need a new piston and a rebore on the cylinder. I am thinking about doing a +1.5mm so I can still go to a +2.0mm in the future. The bottom end feels tight to me so I am hoping I don't have to mess with the bottom end.

The kicker is also not springing back and the bike is in pretty poor shape. Either way I have already fallen in love with this little bike and can't wait to get it going.

I was happy to see the frame is straight and the kickstand is still there which I know is not common.

If anyone has parts they want to sell pm me. It needs lots of love. It's great to know there is a group on here that knows these bikes well.

Attached Files:

Huzband and jonnyc21 like this.