the connecting road was found!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by inte, Feb 9, 2004.

1. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    ...but you'll have to ask Dave about it. I wasn't exactly sure what we were looking for, but it was a fun ride!

Started out waiting an exceptionally long time for breakfast, then hit eventually got on the dirt around 9:30

[​IMG]

Took Saddleback from Silverado up & over to Indian Truck

[​IMG]

...but not before hitting a little singletrack.

snow freaks us out down here ... :evil
    the snow in the photo was a novelty - the steep iced-over road 50 yards ahead of this was not.

[​IMG]

dave the journalist.

[​IMG]

obligatory photo (santiago peak in the distance).

[​IMG]

eventually got to the base of the mountain, went under the 15 to a frontage road & onto some dirt dave knew about. he had previously ridden these roads & was getting all the turns right ...

... unlike this guy.

[​IMG]

not to be deterred by the carnage, we continued on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This spot will (or should) come to be knows as "land 'o nails"

[​IMG]

"the oasis"

[​IMG]

"the jump"

[​IMG]

! VIDEO OF THIS JUMP !

eventually we hit the end of the dirt and an exit/entrance that dave was looking for - a very scenic 2-lane road with big views of Lake Matthews too us back to the 15 for lunch in Corona and then on to Skyline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is my

"crapthere'sarangercheckingbikesandIdon'thaveasparkarrestorsoI'mgoingtonicelywaveandthenquicklyboltdownthehillandpanicdavewhothinksIwentovertheedgebutreallyIwaswaitingherethewholetime"

photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bigger version of the panoramic
  2. inte

Oddometer:
    all the photos were taken within this loop
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride!

Cool pics too. Your track map show a short section that does not loop through. Did you turn around or did the GPS track not record a small piece?

:dj

R-dubb
  4. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    I see shit like this and i want to stick a rusty nail in my eye.....God I hate Florida.:baldy
  5. inte

Oddometer:
    If you're looking at that gap in the route near "Beeks Place", the GPS lost the satellite for a while. Really weird - there's no line-of-sight blockage as that part of the trail is on a ridgeline, but Dave showed me a couple dead-end roads to some of the radio repeaters on the hill - perhaps they had something to do with the signal interference ...?

There are also a couple spots we backtracked - short little exploratory loops to the top of a hill here & there to get our bearings of the area.
  6. inte

Oddometer:
    we did the ride yesterday (Sunday). up silverado, then down main divide to indian truck trail - there were a few long sections of iced-over road near the top in the shady spots. the photo of snow was from a single track that leads from the silverado side of the mountain up to the entrance road for the towers. the steep part of that singletrack was pretty sketchy - especially on a balding set of Metzler Sahara 3 Enduros.