The cost of crashing

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scapegoat, Sep 10, 2019.

1. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    In 45 years of riding I never really took the cost of crashing as something that influenced how I rode. Maybe Perhaps I've become disillusion and need a reality check. I have the best health care we can get in our area, 80/20 ppo. I had an little mishap on the left forearm while working. Severed a couple tendons and a 10" laceration. This one took an ambulance ride to the ER, surgery and some rehab yet to be done. Between the ambulance ride and surgery Im at $70,000. We still haven't seen the ER bill yet. It would seem another $10K+ might be in the works for that. My part in this one will be around $15 to $20K after the copay and deductibles.
    I cant imagine what some of you guys and gals have gone thru with the get off's Iv seen and read about. I dont think we can afford to have a bad get off, it could bury us financially. So where does one go from here? time to hang it up? Maybe something like Aflac Plus Rider to ease the financial hit?
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Medical payments on your insurance. Cover yourself in any accident.
    High limits on said policies.
    Low deductibles.

More rider training.
    Strict discipline about drinking and riding.
    Good exercise/ sleep/ diet regimen.
    Cameleer, Rockred, Edoz and 3 others like this.
  3. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never worried about it. I've always had good insurance. My ER co-pay is $50. Now, I also have Medicare.
    Uke and neanderthal like this.
  4. Bobsguys

Bobsguys n00b

Oddometer:
    My buddy has Kiaser (HMO) and Aflac. He was in a fairly bad accident about a year ago on his bike. He was unconscious for a minute, but before FD arrived, he regained consciousness.

The private ambulance transported him to the nearest Kaiser Hospital.

According to him, the most expensive thing out of all the surgeries he has had was the cost of the ambulance ride. His co-pays for all of his many Kaiser visits has been only $15 each time.

On top of that, each time he goes, Aflac pays him something back, so it is virtually free after it all comes out in the wash.
  5. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    This is pretty much why I've cut back road riding significantly. The costs (the big picture) are potentially too high. Fears of paralysis remain.
    garfey likes this.
  6. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Gotta pay for all those who don't carry insurance.

We argued over a $1200 charge back when my wife had cancer - insurance screwed it up and left us with the bill. The hospital wrote it off without blinking an eye. They made enough off our insurance to cover the loss with ease.
  7. Antvera

Antvera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  8. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    If it happened at work shouldn't workmen's compensation cover it? Unless you work for yourself.
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    @scapegoat, that $70k from the billing statements of the hospital? Wait until the insurance/workers comp settles it. It will go down quite a bit.

But yea, life can go sideways in an instant, and can cost a lot as a result. Be that simple money it costs you, or other expenses, like lack of body function or such.

Equally, living life "safely" in a padded room isn't much of a life.

So you have to decide how limited by fear you chose to be.
    Edoz, Daboo, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  10. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of insurance do you have? I thought the maximum allowable out of pocket was somewhere around 8k for an individual.

And why isn't this covered under worker's comp? Self employed?
    sieg likes this.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've stopped worrying about things that have yet to happen. And care little when they do. I do what I can to avoid mishaps and dismiss things out of my control. I don't have any money anyways. :johntm

EDIT: I do have outstanding insurance. :D
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    and therein lies the rub.

The more you have, the more you risk.
  13. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you're looking at the work accident, and then thinking about the possibilities of a motorcycle accident. That is, if I'm reading your initial post correctly.

Look at your insurance. Perhaps call up an independent insurance agent. They are in business to get you the best deal possible and usually represent a lot of different companies. Sticking to just one of the major namebrand companies, only gets you what they offer...and they may not be competitive...but they have name recognition.

I had my right knee replaced a few years ago and it was covered under my work insurance. I paid only to the yearly maximum of about $5600. The total bill was about $90,000.
  14. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a bit CSM but the USA is the only first world country where financial ruin is a real risk of illness for a significant portion of the population. That is one of the biggest differences between Canada and the US. Also when people up here consider moving or changing jobs, health insurance isn't something that factors into the decision much. Overall outcomes are about the same.
  15. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I worry about in relation to crashing is how much its going to physically hurt.

Financial impact is so far behind that its not even worth considering.
    ydarg and brgsprint like this.
  16. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used Dr Google when I busted my MCL. 6 weeks of bed rest, 3 weeks of crutches and I'm as good as new.

Sure beats blowing through my $7.5K deductible to have some professional tell me I need 6 weeks of bed rest and three weeks on crutches. No doubt a doctor would have ordered an MRI of my knee to cover *HIS* ass.
    DittyBag likes this.
  17. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Usually health insurance policies have a total out-of-pocket figure that limits what you're responsible for. I've never heard one being as high as $15k - $20k. Our company has Blue Cross and its individual out-of-pocket (deductibles and co-pays) is $7,700. So, that's the worst case scenario financially for me and I've got it covered. That's not where I want to spend it, but if it comes down to that...
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that worked you didn't actually "bust" your MCL.
    neanderthal and sieg like this.
  19. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I could tell it was a grade III tear. Fortunately the ligament wasn't torn off the bone, because you need surgery to reattach it.

I was wearing knee braces at the time, I wonder if that saved me from a worse injury.
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK Doc.
    Themastermike and sieg like this.