The cost of crashing

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by scapegoat, Sep 10, 2019.

1. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    sieg likes this.
  2. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That simply is not true. American for profit companies have developed a great deal of drugs and medical advancements. If they did not do so they would have stay profitable.

And I don't know about Brazil but France certainly seems to have for profit, privately run health providers, which means they too have incentives for development.
  3. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
    Errr.... would it be OK to get back to the intended topic guys?
    sieg likes this.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eh, it’s pretty easy to look up every point I mentioned. But by all means, don’t, and just deny they exist. :beer
    tlub likes this.
  5. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, sure, I suppose if you want to say that a multi national company that has a lab in France but makes a lot of it's money in America is a French advancement, sure, you can stick to your ideas.

Problem is that things aren't so cut and dry. It's not so simple as a Google search, and so many arguments in things of a political nature tend towards the oversimplification. That's why we can look at the same facts and come to different conclusions.

But the fact is that countries with national health care systems simply are not leading the way in, or there driving force behind, most modern medical innovations.
    sieg likes this.
  6. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have another cost of crashing.
    I'm a fulltime caregiver for my wife and if I can't take care of her I have to move her to respite care and that's $275 a day, $8200 a month.
    Almost had to do that in July. Had already moved her to respite care so that I could do a ride to Tuktoyaktuk. On the return ride I crashed on the Dempster Highway, I had some injuries but was still able to ride and the bike needed some repairs but I was able to make it home.
    The injuries did make moving her more painful but I could still do it. If things had been worse it could have been a very expensive trip.
    It is a concern but I don't want to let it control my life.
    Cameleer and DittyBag like this.
  7. peman

peman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have to say it makes me really appreciate the health care system here in Australia, i recently snaped the ucl ligament in my thumb and between the public and private wasn't much difference in cost but the time frame was some weeks apart so i opted for private and got the surgery nine days later, and all up cost was $3000. Mind you our waiting list for hernias etc you talk in months to years...
    DittyBag likes this.
  8. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Canadian here.

Land of the free (healthcare) and the home of the brave (I don’t fear trips to the hospital).