The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have noticed the leak around the filter, alright with your explanation and doubt about the jointure/surface between the filter and crankcase, the tightening or whatsoever related. You've got some detailed replies.

If not, so if you have noticed oil traces on the bashplate and that you "obviously" think that it might be leaking from the filter (as said, it's obvious for anyone...), consider this :

I knew that a french owner had experienced an oil leak on his brand new CRF1000 (very hard to diagnosed actually by Honda!) located at nut near the filter ; fixed under warranty. I've posted this yesterday (then have deleted my message...) because I was unable to find the post that I've had read several months ago... I've contacted the guy who replied almost instantly to my mail ; he told me that his previous blog has migrated to a new one and the posts are lost. He has posted a sump up about this issue immediately but... unfortunately with a bit less details and only a post stamp's sized picture!

575b0bd633491_fuitehuileafricatwin.PNG.73d46fdd5e9381d8a3dae0e5d8f8c8c8.png

Here it is (in simple french so a google translation will be just fine) :

--> http://www.mototracer.com/forums/topic/4-honda-africa-twin1000-crf-fuite-dhuile/#comment-6

Maybe not related to your problem which seems to be located at the filter / crankcase jointure but well... we never know and my message will maybe help others.

Regarding your problem, I would forget my pride and ask my Honda dealer about it... except if I'm sure of what I'm doing or have done of course which doesn't seem to be your case about the tightening torque for instance ;-)
  2. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try disconnecting the battery and see if that prevents the lights from coming back on.
    I'd be very interested to hear if that works.
  3. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    get it checked out at the dealer, they will probably say it's nothing but at the very least it would be good to have the dealer check it out for a paper trail
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Imho the surface should not be painted. Like You, all others that I have come across have been perfectly machined surfaces and that is the way it should be. There is no point either in putting a small amount of gasket silicone on there as the screw on motion of the filter will move it from where you want it to be. Just try tightening for now, but I would certainly bring it to the attention of the shop from whom you purchased whether it continues to leak or not.
  5. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    It was mentioned above that tightening to the point of contact between filter and crankcase would distort the gasket. Theoretically I cannot argue with that, but I am only suggesting light contact, and over many years I have not had a gasket let go yet because of distortion. Of course the correct option is to get a filter cup and a good torque wrench and utilise the torque specified by Honda @ 19ft lb . I suspect that torque will be a lot tighter than hand tight plus a quarter turn.
  6. MotoWhaler

MotoWhaler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to try to get it to nearest dealer (10 miles) this AM to see if they can read code. If they cannot help me I will have to ask dealership I purchased from to come and pick it up (50 minutes away at 70 MPH). I'm okay trying to get it 10 miles but any further than that and I'm not interested. I just checked battery connections...they are exceedingly tight so I do not think we have a loose connection there. I checked a number of other cable connection points around bike and all connections feel secure..couldn't find any that appeared loose. It seems to occur when I get the bike bouncing a bit or lean it over fairly aggressively.

I did not try disconnecting battery yet as someone mentioned.

Any my wife thought I was nuts for having two bikes. See...what will you ride when your Honda is in the shop? ;-)

I'll keep all posted.
  7. MotoWhaler

MotoWhaler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well..they were nice enough to take me with no appointment. Code was a 4-1. "Code caused by unusual riding conditions. Wheelies, Bumps, Jumps, Etc!". Now, in 90 miles I am not sure I have done anything more exciting than maybe hit a good ole New England pothole. Never off road, never a wheelie, and never over 4500 RPM. They cleared the code, test rode (8 miles), and issue was not reproduced.

When I took delivery the bike it had 1 mile on it so there should not have been any test rides. And no indicators popped up for the first 70 miles. But they have popped up 3 times in last 20 miles. I suspect the bike will be heading in again when this reoccurs.

How do these codes work? If there is a code in the computer already is it more likely to occur or more sensitive to throwing it...I would think not. I do not see how a code just occurs then goes away completely.

On an interesting note..I knew one of the techs there from a couple years back. He came out for a moment to take a peek at it and pulled a small leaf out of the area *near* the front sensor...could that have gotten between sensor and wheel? I doubt three times though.

Anyway, I need to pile on some miles to see if it's really gone.
  8. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Update on this . I was off out again today I dropped the rear tyre pressure to 34psi. I know that is only 2 psi but it felt better and I may drop the pressure some more.
  9. FTWeather

FTWeather KISS army 1976

Oddometer:

Very good info, thanks for taking the time to reply!! I will look closer at that nut near the filter also. I have scheduled a visit to the dealer to check it out
  10. FTWeather

FTWeather KISS army 1976

Oddometer:

Yes, thanks...I plan to get a filter cup instead of the strap wrench and use the torque wrench and go from there. I did remember somebody mentioning how tight the factory filter was and that was my experience. I had to use a pipe wrench to get it off!!! lol
  11. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing... f...ing magic! (or f...ing leaf... ;-)

Wow, wow... interesting start for a "go anywhere" adventure bike :)
  12. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    1. If you spin rear tire on grass without front tire turning below the indicated speed you will turn ABS and TC in fault mode as it thinks your front speed sensor is faulty. It is also easy trick to completely disengage ABS! It should return to normal when you switch ign off and on.
  13. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It is an inductive sensor, a leaf would not disturb it. But of course if the aircap between sensor and the ring will be on limit who knows. :1drink
  14. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    One more sticky set button, my dealer ordered new parts yesterday.
  15. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    G'day guys, new AT owner posting up (Silver, manual, yay!);

Does anyone know a way to bypass the running light "feature" on the front turn signals? I was riding in the rain yesterday and only noticed once it started getting dark that they're always on, but dim. I thought at first water had shorted some connection, but apparently it's normal. How do I stop it?
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Funny, I just had a friend comment to me tonight how the turn signal running lights made my bike much more noticeable. Why would you want to stop it?
    mkn, Juha, Griff2 and 2 others like this.
  17. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of the running light feature as well. Sorry no info on disabling.
    Juha, MyDogsName and Mikemm like this.
  18. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I am finding that the back brake locks up a little too easily especially offroad on loose surfaces downhill. It is not too bad on the road but I have had to lower my brake pedal by one position on the splines to alleviate this issue somewhat. I don't have ABS but no doubt the same could apply to ABS equipped bikes and will result in frequent modulation by the ABS system. Anybody else finding this ?
  19. EBR458

EBR458 Evil Black Rifle

Oddometer:
    Yes, in loose gravel with the ABS shut off it doesn't take much and the rear wheel is locked and sliding. So iv'e been leaving the ABS on in gravel.
  20. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I recommend you guys to watch this instructive vid with a special focus at 2'22"" regarding the rear brake use...

Going up, coming to a full stop in the middle of a very steep and slippery track is another story with a heavy bike. I know what it is on a 450WR for having slided down a steep hill with the bike several times... reaching the bottom after, with or before the bike ;-P
    Griff2 likes this.