The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. krisz

krisz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My set button sticked today. It feels like spring is missing behind. Sprayed with WD40 but not help.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-G900F eszközömről
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Good posting . Thanks for taking the trouble to do so. Fortunately I did not find out the hard way on this occasion and concentrated more on the front brake as soon as I found out how easily the rear locked up. Some bikes are worse than others in that regard and this one certainly locks up a lot easier than my previous KTM 690.
  3. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    DCT and non should leave ABS on and Traction control on, DCT in Manual when off road. serious stuff air down.
  4. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. "It's not by drifting on calm waters that ones become a good sailor". Same saying goes for motorbike riding... we all have a good margin of progress and that's part of the fun.
  5. Espada

Espada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing I've noticed with my bike is that I have to be very deliberate, and positive on the 4 to 5 shift. The manual transmission seems to be prone to false neutrals for that shift.
  6. rally roo

rally roo Total poser

Oddometer:
    No real reason, just not something I'm used to from other bikes. In the full dark, I can see the orange glow from the top edge of the lens which is distracting, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time. Additionally, I'm planning on LED signals, so I'm not sure if the "dim" setting on the single-filament incandescent bulbs would just make the diodes flicker all the time. Maybe that would be a perk, talk about conspicuity! :D
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Put strips of black electrical tape on the tops of the lights if the glow bothers you.
    rally roo likes this.
  8. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike is MT and my speedo if off ,fast, by 10% compared to my 60csx and Montana GPS units. Can this be recalibrated ?
  9. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    No glowing with the LEDs... better replace with LEDs then if DOT regulation allows this modification (or if you don't care if they don't! ;-). Easy for less than 20bucks.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Your gps units will be off by at least 2 kph and behind in real time too. Just how they work. Are you running standard size tyres and gearing? Speedo healer otherwise.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Mine glow, but I find it soothing.... :)
    Woody469 likes this.
  12. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Some gearboxes can be difficult at first. Perhaps a change of oil and some further miles might alleviate that problem.
  13. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ZEN effect... they have pushed the design very far on this bike! ;-)
    So let's say that the "always on" blinkers soothing effect compensates the SET sticky button and its "get on our nerves" effect
    ahah
  14. Dav5049915

Dav5049915 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting this also if i'm being lazy while shifting.
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heavy bikes have a penchant for gravity. On low traction downhills you have about 160 lbs of additional weight on the AT to try to slow compared to your 690. The rear wheel is going to lock up very easily and not slow things down much on any big bike in that situation. I can drag a locked up rear knobby down a steep gravel/dirt downhill for a LONG way on my Tiger 800XC compared to a light bike. The good news if the front brake still works well. But even with perfect braking you'll not arrest downhill momentum easily on any heavy bike.
  16. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All standard. I did not know the GPS are also inaccurate.
  17. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    They aren't inaccurate. Maybe 20 + years ago with early gen single channel multiplexing units and dithered signals but not today. There are occasional outlier fixes that show 500 mph top speeds but averaged over sufficient time and distances GPS today has speed accuracy approaching 99.9%
    DockingPilot likes this.
  18. MrTwister1

MrTwister1 Things that can kill me, make me feel alive.

Oddometer:
    I have a standard AT and I'm having power issues with initial wide open throttle with the TC and ABS in off position. Initial power is cut back like it is in TC 2 for couple of seconds and then runs normally again. So other words, no wheelies. Icons on display show that TC and ABS are off and there is no error codes. I have 1,200 miles on the bike.
    Tires were changed at 200 miles and this problem didn't exist aterwards. This problem starting occurring around 800 miles with no other changes to the bike.
    Any ides would be appreciated. Thank you.
  19. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It must be lack of air fuel or electric during the cycles of your engine. My DCT pops front of even with TC1, but just shortly.

BTW ABS has nothing to do with wheelies.
  20. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Having the same issue happened about 10 times now. 3 times just over this weekend.