The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've noticed the false neutral between 4th and 5th too. I lowered the gear lever a bit which has helped but it still happens sometimes.

I guess this is one weakness of the otherwise pretty good gearbox.
  2. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'll come good, Hayabusa gearbox is the same when they're new too. Think once the gearbox gets a bit of wear it gets better.
    mkn and Dav5049915 like this.
  3. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coating has gone also if you look at the first message of this page showing oil servicing on the main thread... http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-africa-twin-crf1000l-owners-thread.1112644/page-270

But on yours, I've also noticed a little dent so that the oil may leak thru it under the o-ring.

Coating has been scratched by the filter when overtightened and the dent by a tool, it's obvious. When it's outside the o-ring area... it's acceptable let's say. But the surface being scratched over the circular o-ring path and with a dent... no need to be an expert to understand it's not good. The gasket seal squeezed will insure a good sealing over the area where coating is gone I think but over the 4mm wide / 0.5mm deep dent... you never know what can happen under pressure.

20160608_162919.jpg
  4. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm not the only one! I've had this happen a few times so far.
  5. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Never a missed gear so far on my AT. 2,400 miles and counting. You want false neutrals, try riding an old Bultaco Pursang. :lol2 The AT trans is sublime. Try adjusting the free play in your clutch lever. Mine was excessive. It made an already smooth shifting trans even silkier.
    Rippin209 likes this.
  6. FTWeather

FTWeather KISS army 1976

Oddometer:
    good point and good detective skills!! Before I put on the new filter in the pic shown, I put a ziplock bag in the receptacle(?) and a few rags and used some fine steel wool to rub around entire mating surface, then cleaned thoroughly. a bit risky but... the dent is smaller and coating is mostly gone surface is much smoother. so far 250 miles and no leak...fingers crossed!!
    Glennswe likes this.
  7. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try adjusting the clutch cable at the hand lever, just a small amount my NC700X did the same thing and a small adjustment got rid of the problem. I know it shouldn't make a difference at that speed at the gear box but it's simple and worked for me and hopefully you to
  8. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't read your post before posting the same thing lol
  9. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job and thanks for having reported this. At the 12k service maintenance, I'll make sure that if the filter replacement is done by an mechanic apprentice (or not), he/she doesn't mess around with the circular mating surface where the gasket sits (and I'll make sure I can have a look at it before the filter is replaced!). Subscribed the 3yrs + 1yr warranty extension for 499€ (launch offer for which the price has now almost doubled...) ; pretty decent and convenient deal if... servicing is performed carefully.
  10. Sefto

Sefto I think I'll just crash here.

Oddometer:
    Dave - if I remember right, I think you put together some good gopro racing footage in the past. Looking forward to some of your AT footage.
  11. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    After letting my new Manual AT sit for 3 days. (Longest it has gone without riding since I bought it) It back fires on startup and again after riding it and shutting it off.
    It seems this is not unusual and Honda is aware of it.
    One owner on another forum reported disconnecting the battery and resetting everything and the issue stopped for him and has not happened again since.
    Others report similar but report that as it breaks in it goes away.
    It may be worth keeping an eye on.

I'll report out my findings as I dig into this.
    krussell, Drum Dog and jtorrents like this.
  12. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
    Ok folks, hve about 600 miles on the new bike (DCT) , doing oil change today and will wait untill I have 1500+ before changing to synthetic. I was making sure instrament lights were on maximum. and after scrolling through the rest of settings I lost the display of current air temp!!! Im hoping it's something simple ,( I am A simpleton).

Thanks. I have tried changing back and forth from celcious to farenheight... anyone??
    jfman likes this.
  13. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did not experience backfire on startup ; but I confirm systematic backfiring after a while during long rides when decelerating (with stock exhaust - fuel RON98).

Normal or not, I kinda like it but (*) :)

A logical explanation would be that unburnt fuel explodes within the exhaust... (*) would be nice to know wether or not it's a problem for the admission valves (and some other engine parts) and then, what's the remedy ?

EDIT : According to a friend can be caused by CATALYSER / lambda sensor / ECU tuning to cope with pollution emission regulations. If someones has the official explanation, I'll be happy to read it here :)
    jtorrents likes this.
  14. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Earplugs.
  15. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it what you use when your partner yells at you also ? Can be a solution to sort out many problems... you're very right! ;-)
  16. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it but did you get a confirmation from someone in MP about this manual DCT reset procedure via buttons ?

@twinrider : "They said they'd report the two stalls to Honda HQ and see what they say. And then gave me the bike back and said to let them know if anything is amiss."
    Any feedback from Honda HQ ?
    I guess that you haven't had any stalling issue or you would have mentioned it... in the other hand, it's so rare that we can't tell if the reset has solved anything... right ?
  17. ducouple

ducouple Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello

i have the sticky set button syndrom. My dealer has ordered a new one.

Do you know if it will be the same or the new one has been fixed to prevent that issue ?

thanks
  18. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've read that same problem has occurred again after the set button was changed and other buttons maybe also face a problem too. Like for the rim spokes, it is much more a random issue from suppliers I guess than an early batch production problem. http://www.threesomewithtwins.com/en/bikes/ (search for set button). Reported many times by several riders on french forums also during the rainy and cold winter (some have tried to spray magical product without or with worse results). Warranty -> raise a claim as soon as it gets stuck as simple as that. Not your problem is problem has been definitely fixed even if that would be smart from Honda...
    shelden likes this.
  19. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I read it from another forum and saved it. It is actually for NC7XX but might work on CRF as well.

No stalling issues, and I do not believe stalling is caused by transmission but engine control unit ECU.
  20. jyrays

jyrays The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have also new set waiting at distributor. Will be changed as I get back from ASIA.