The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I think the Altrider lower would have survived its very stout
  2. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Define "went down hard" please.

And sorry about the damage :(
    Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
  3. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you wanna hear ? Confirmation that leaving the left crashbar on your bike makes the probability to experience a such bad experience close to no chance to occur ?

Please define what % is acceptable ?

Easy enough to acknowledge the crash was hard enough for a crashbar fixing point bracket shape to break something it shouldn't have broken (design flaw) and for the bike not being a total wreck and the rider still alive. The crankcase side cover being broken can be experienced after a small crash and I'm not surprised. But the main crankcase having been broken in an area absolutely not exposed / vulnerable is the concern... and eventually what TouraTech has to say about it.

:norton
    simmons1 and Motomantra like this.
  4. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess I am part of the failed rear wheel bearing club now. Was on the way home from a 300 mile day trip when the loud scraping noises began. Had to have the bike towed home the last 60 miles which cost me $200 in extra mileage cost. The bike has seen water crossings and lots of riding in the rain so I guess it fits the profile of bearing failures I have read about. It's a 2016 with about 15K miles on it. I won't have a chance to pull the wheel off to check the damage until later this week. In the meantime I could use a bit of advice from anyone that's had to deal with this problem.

Has anyone in the US had failed bearings replaced under warranty? Even if it's covered I'm thinking I might just replace them myself with better bearings as long there is no damage to the wheel though. It looks like I can get a complete set from "All Balls" Part Number 25-1257. Anyone use these with success or have another source they would like to recommend?

TIA
  5. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea! I got the thing just for that...will whip up something similar to what you made from puckboard
    Motociclo likes this.
  6. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    my buddy had his replaced at 15k km! under warranty by honda.
    I just put new tires on mine, and at 13k km they are fine.
  7. stepside14

stepside14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOOB ALERT - excited to join this forum finally saw the light sold my Harley and am days away from buying a GS or AT. I've noticed in the review videos I've watched on youtube a few AT's have gone down (to be expected riding off road) however in the few I've seen, a simple low/moderate speed wipe out has caused trip ending damage by busting up either the clutch cover, or the stator cover. I'm worried about the AT and cracking open my motor too easily. Any comment or input?
  8. Jamm

Jamm Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    Any bike has that potential. I cracked the clutch cover on my 800GS but not on the AT. It usually happens when the perfect rock hits an unprotected section. Harley's even have it happen. Get the AT and ride it like ya stole it.
    stepside14 likes this.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not replaced them in the AT yet but all my other bikes (except my gas gas)have all balls in them including linkage bearings.I repair alot of bikes for locals and have been using there kits for years with success.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a pro at crashing my AT lol.My heed bunker bars have protected my bike well.
  11. MarkH67

MarkH67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a stationary drop on concrete and . . . well, it did put a scuff on my Outback Motortek upper crash bar! If you are going to ride off-road, I would suggest budgeting for crash bars when you buy an AT.
    stepside14 likes this.
  12. SLODoug

SLODoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The attached picture will make the crash seem anemic. I think I was traveling approx. 25-30mph into a favorite left hand turn and it happened so fast I was surprised and startled by the crash, I’ve gone through this corner a couple of dozen times without incident. The front wheel apparently washed out and down I went, the left side of the bike taking the impact. The damage baffled me based on a dirt, not rocky road. I drove out to the crash location to take a closer look and found one embedded rock that must have been the bullseye the crashbar hit.
    FC0B7ECA-26EA-41D1-B103-2188EC987A9E.jpeg 6A5C5F72-E43F-4BA9-BB48-BE27F26BC2F4.jpeg
  13. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uhmm....

A broom? Your mother-in-law riding with you?

:hide
  14. gammel

gammel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl
  15. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of my first drop-
    One month into the AT True Adventure theme, with the stock Dunflops.
    Tame gravel road, nothing bigger than a plum, yet punctured the alternator case cover in three places.
    Admittedly, everything was stock and no protection added- could have been much worse.
    After rigging Outback bars, covers are safe.
    New owners venturing off-road, protect the expensive parts no matter how much your wallet protests.
    windowto likes this.
  16. SLODoug

SLODoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually drove out to the site a few days later with the wife to see what the heck I hit. The broom helped expose the culprit. BTW the wife was born on Halloween....
    OnOff likes this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my letter from honda today about the centerstand c clip.Wife was a little worried when she handed it to me.I told her what it was before I opened it because it was mentioned here.
  18. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got news that my cclip is backordered until the end of November...for those that have been putting off the recall, might be a good idea to get in line and order it. Snow is on the way, so my long winter of maintenance/upgrades is about to begin.
  19. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday also. I called the shop last week and they ordered the kit, so having it installed Friday. Racer
  20. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine came in last week, has all parts including clip.