1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. Bummer, I hate system faults like this. Thanks for the feedback, I'll report if I find a solution.
  2. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Similar story here. My dad dabbles in hobby carpentry but is utterly clueless with machines. I taught myself to fix bicycles in high school using a book from the library so I could get a job (and the included sweet discount) at a bike shop. Years later after i had just graduated engineering school I taught myself to work on my car using service manuals and Google because we were too broke to afford a mechanic. By the time I got into motorcycles doing all the work on my machines was just the norm.
    windowto likes this.
  3. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    yep. It's the way to do it. But it's not for everyone. Some people aren't inclined, or interested in doing the work. Just riding. When something does go wrong, in the middle of no where...then..well shit.
  4. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amy update on this issue? Does your front abs still work? It's easy to test on grass fyi.

If you accidentally figure out how to disable the rear abs there are a lot of us who would be interested in recreating your issue.
    Nihon Newbie and Amphib like this.
  5. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Disabling rear ABS is what the (pictured) button on the dash does. My issue is that regardless of what the indicator says, my rear ABS is not preventing wheel lock.

I don't actually know if my front ABS is working, haven't actually tested it yet, but I'll do that today.

Attached Files:

6. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are u sure u are doing if right? Like sure the rear was "harder" to change then the front but 2 good tire spoons and i had the rear changed in less then 5 mins. Add another 5 mins to balance the rear and back on she went.
  7. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    The walls of the new Shinko were so stiff it was difficult to keep the bead pushed onto the well. I needed clamps to squash the beads together and the force required to lever the tyre on was excessive. Felt like I was fitting a 17.5 tyre onto an 18 rim. Getting too old to put up with that crap on the side of the track somewhere.
    michaelkozera likes this.
  8. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will a 140/80 x18” tyre tube work as a backup for the rear wheel? I have a couple of spare 140/80 tubes in the shed and I’m wondering if it would be folly to pack them as spares for a bush trip?
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 minutes lol.Do you drink a lot.Between your outrageous milage you say you get and 5 minute tire change on this bike you must be one special person.
  10. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would u like a video? Its not exactly rocket surgery lol

To be more specific. 5 mins was just to change the tire, as mentioned above. Add an additional 5 mins to remove and install wheel. And after the 5 mins balancing aprox total time of 15 mins.

as for the mileage. ive already provided photographic evidence of this "best case" fuel consumption. so please read the full post before you start commenting on something. as i will not be making a video of that.........Jesus.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup,i want to see a video from breaking the bead on old tire to to putting air in new one.No way you do it in 5 minutes.No editing breaks with a timer running.Also just use tire irons.
  12. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im happy to show inexperienced people how to change a tire. Ill be changing my tires on my crf500l in a few weeks here. Ill make a quick video.
    Glad to help out! Cheers.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope i can learn how you could do it that fast.I only have 43 years experience working on bikes and need to learn.
    yokesman, leethal and michaelkozera like this.
  14. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hearing a noise from the chain after switching out chain and sprockets. Chain isn’t too tight. What am I missing ?
  15. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    I have 53.......and still happy to learn...........when I read it only took 5 minutes I thought he was talking about sex.
  16. Drum Dog

Drum Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you use oem parts. If not a OEM front sprocket that could be it.
  17. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Why do you say that? if the aftermarket sprocket is in line (both sides are typically symmetrical).
    I've run a 15T (twice), and I'm on to a new 16t Sustar sprocket.

Do lube your splines with moly though!
  18. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not using OEM. Just a little unnerving. I only hear it around 30 MPH or so. It's a whirl/wizz, and no clunks or clangs.
  19. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like to think I'm pretty darn quick at changing tires by hand. I change all my tires by hand, I've got a good method and lots of practice. I am quite happy if I can do a rear on my AT in 30 minutes on a hot day with warm tires and flat ground. Hell, every now and then I spend 10 minutes just trying to get the rear wheel and that damn spacer to fit in the swingarm.

I would be very impressed to see a tubed tire change by hand from flat to rolling again in 15 minutes on AT rims and with cold proper stiff walled ADV tires.
    If you've got a better method, I would love to see it (no sarcasm here, changing tires is a pain in the ass).
  20. Drum Dog

Drum Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IT is just a thought. Most aftermarket fronts don't have the rubber and can create more noise.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.