The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regular gas in NA has up to 10% ethanol which will absorb water. When the temp drops the water precipitates out - depends on saturation level. Regular gas can also go bad in as little as 3-months.
    If you have no idea of history i’d Drain the Tank and check the fuel filter. Fill with fresh gas.
    When not riding or riding intermittently I fill with Chevron 94 (no ethanol) and add octane stabilizer.
    https://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php
  2. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice call.
    Didn't think about that one.
    The ethanol containing fuel in Oz is sold seperatly. Same deal up to 10%.
    I avoid that garbage like the plague.
  3. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Same here. I also find the miles per gallon goes from low 40s to mid 50s for highway cruising when I use 10% ethanol vs 100% gasoline. Octane level doesn’t matter in our engines since they are low compression and don’t need the desensitization to avoid premature detonation.
    Motociclo likes this.
  4. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I experimented with various fuel, 91,95,98, found that got better economy overall on 91. Got no noticeable performance increase on other 2, economy dropped a little. Worse with 98.
  5. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    We have 87 octane ethanol free as an option here. Gets me 55mpg @70mph. Haven’t tried anything above 87. Get low 40s with the 10% ethanol. Strangely enough it barely shows a difference in the 3,500 lb car with a 3.5 L engine which also has a 1-10 compression.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    His 91 is roughly our 87.

10% ethanol should result in a fuel economy decrease of ~2-3% over the exact same octane rating at E0.
  7. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    I’m seeing more than 3%. I wonder if something is suboptimal in the bike. Anyone else do this test?

This is with DCT gearing
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you drained a tank to near empty with one fuel, and then ran the other fuel in exactly the same conditions? The lab tests I've seen show low single digits difference in efficiency at a series of RPMs compared to E0 - with a slight gain in power output.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran the whole different fuel thing on mine and found the exact same as you. Just put the cheap stuff in now with 10% ethanol and run non e last couple tanks before the snow flies. Can only get non E in premium here but bike does not seem to care for it much and mileage actually goes down.Makes it bitchy to start also.Have had to restart up to 7 times because of flame outs on premium. Fires right off on the cheap crap.
    Black99S, yokesman, misterk and 2 others like this.
  10. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find the engine coughs and dies more in slower speed manoeuvres - cone exercises and single track - with non-ethanol 94 AKI (R+M/2) = Euro 97 RON. I only start using 94 as the riding season slows down to ensure the tank is full of non-e gas over winter.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  11. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:

Well "success" was short lived, maybe a half dozen problem free starts since repair, went to go for a ride this morning and exact symptoms came back.

At least it happened in the driveway....

I'll be ordering a new switch tomorrow.
  12. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my new switch under warranty.
  13. rattonshaw

rattonshaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The symptoms you describe appear to be the pistons binding in the caliper housing, which is not on your list of items checked. I had a similar problem on my front brakes due to the mix of salt and molasses they spread on the roads in winter-time UK. Take the caliper off the bike and see how easily you can push the pistons back into the caliper after you've depressed the brake pedal slightly. Good luck.
    michaelkozera likes this.
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it

But we have already solved the issue. It was the heat coming off the exhaust/cat.

The rotor and the caliper along with the swing arm were all getting hot. I confirmed it was the exhaust/cat by making a makeshift wind deflector that deflected the exhaust heat away from the rear rotor and everything got cold to the touch including the swing arm.
  15. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    me too, it is a different part number than the original
  16. Jamm

Jamm Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    I agree, stick with the cheap stuff. I tried using premium and every once in a while I got roughly 10 MPG less, which I found perplexing. Then one time I noticed that I had filled up the tank after the previous customer had used premium and that's when I got the lower mpg. I finally realized that I was using gas pumps that have 1 hose for multiple grades of gas. I then read somewhere that there could be anywhere from 2 to 3 gallons of whatever grade the previous customer used still in the pump and hose before you actually get what you selected. I don't know if that's true but it seems to explain my mpg decrease sometimes. Moral of the story, quit buying premium for the AT as you're likely not getting much of it before your tank is full...but you are giving the next guy a boost with your hard earned $$$.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That single pump thing sucks.I have to look into that.I often put a gallon of premium in my moto van before I fill my competition bike cans hoping to drain the the low grade stuff out.Man I hope it is not 3 fricken gallons to clear it out.I try to only use shell stations for my comp fuel and will check out how they pipe there pumps.That might explain the reason I had issues with my GG 300 trials bike pinging sometimes.If I find it is 3 gallons will add more vp 110 to them to bring it up.Thanks for the heads up on this and I will see what I can find out.
    Mudslingr likes this.
  18. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I've read as little as .4 gallons and up to 2 gallons are left in the pump, so if you want to play it safe yeah put 3 gallons in your full-size vehicle and then fill your can.

I fill up a 5 gallon can of Shell V-Power 91 for my AT pre-ride and then have a 91-only pump at a perfect little middle-of-nowhere gas station at the perfect mid-ride waypoint for where I ride most frequently. I consistently get 48 MPG with 50/50 riding on 50/50 tires, aggressive in the dirt, mostly easy-going on the street (not often above 70 MPH), 195 pounds plus 60 pounds of gear packed in tank panniers, altitudes 5k-12k feet, temps 50-95* F, avg speed 35-40 MPH.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    My engine light came on this morning at start up anyone have this?
  20. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had that happen once with a cold start (near 0 degrees Celsius). It went away after about 2 minutes, and hasn't happened since. The battery could barely turn the bike over at the cold start.