The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not do so well today at 38 mph.Burned up 4.3 gallons at 189 miles mostly playing flat tracker on gravel roads.Was worth every dollar.Don,t get to ride it much without wifey on back and it was a lot of fun.
    MillennialFalcon and Amphib like this.
  2. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    When it comes to riding our AT's, you and I have a lot in common Jeff despite the 20-30 years difference in age. I tell my girlfriend I need every other ride to be without her so I can just have some time to myself and with the bike "the way it was meant to be", because she knows riding with her is asking a lot of me and any motorcycle with offroad capability. She get's suspicious I'm finding other passengers :D

Yes both these last two posts belong in the AT problem thread. Problems: AT too much fun. Passengers like AT too much. AT a problem for relationships.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After almost 4 summers on this bike I am just starting to appreciate it.I am done with the super nasty stuff pretty much.Wifey hurt her leg last week.I had her get off bike to walk thrue a rock garden that could go bad with her on the bike.She tripped and fell walking thrue it and took a sharp rock in the shin below her knee pad.I love riding my offroad bikes but this adv distance riding on back roads is really getting fun.Also find it handles sand roads pretty good with just me on bike.Traction control set on low is almost like cheating sliding corners.I don't do that stuff to much with bride on back lol.I need to ride this bike alone more like you do.
  4. randallz2002

randallz2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cogent called yesterday and my long awaited ohlins forks are on their way to me . Just general fyi for anyone interested in the gold option...
    Zave likes this.
  5. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    without reading this complete thread have you guys sorted out all the front fork issue's and will the newer bikes have this same problem

thanks
  6. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, the fork issue is way overhyped. I acknowledge there are riders more in tune with their suspension than I am. However, I have had the same coating wear as others since 12k miles. I put cogent springs in front and rear at 12k miles. I now have 40k miles in 15 months. Best bike I ever had out of about 30. I change my fork fluid about every 15k miles, I also have shock sox so I have yet to blow a fork seal. However, I did change out my fork seals at 20k miles for preventative maintenance. I did a 7k mile trip in 12 days in June and another 3k mile trip in 7 days in August. I enjoy riding this bike on the highway more than my goldwing. I also do quite a bit of dirt riding. I am probably 70/30 road to dirt.
  7. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    My forks were so f'ed at 8k miles. That was after a blown fork seal at 1k simply riding down a trail - so brand new fork seals and fluid at all of 1k.

I couldn't ride down the street without noticing the stiction that developed by 8k. As I'd accelerate from a stop, weight transferring back, my forks would extend with a lurch going into the stiction portion of travel, then a pop up suddenly as they passed the stiction zone. It was a solid half inch or more of completely crap fork travel going either way that made itself known with the simplest of motions. So the reverse would happen during braking. At night it'd look like I was playing with my headlight adjustment on the go with some sort of quick adjuster, popping it up then down well beyond what you normally see with standard weight shifting of bikes, i.e the complete opposite of smooth weight transfer from acceleration and braking.

Stationary, I could lift the front wheel off the ground by pointing the bars to the right then pulling on them - standing to the left of the seat - to pivot the front of the bike's weight onto the sidestand, then set front wheel back on the ground without the forks compressing at all - being held at full extension purely by the stiction resistance alone. With front wheel back on ground, forks still completely extended, I would then turn the bars to the left which would put enough pressure on the forks to allow them to grind down thru the stiction point and return to normal static sag.

50/50 rider, spirited Rocky Mountain trails (mostly rocky dirt roads), easy-going on-road.

Solved for now with 1k miles on ATAS upper tubes.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  8. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a follow up on my earlier post regarding a friends AT that would stall or quit, he had the pump pulled and it was clogged with white sh**! With no new filter at the shop that did the work, he just had them clean it to the degree possible and reinstall. We just finished a multi-week ride up in MT, ID and WY with no more issues (Magruder, Lolo Trail, Best of Montana 2017). He will take it to his shop here for final correction along with the report from the Honda dealer who did the initial investigation.

Now......I am beginning to have the start button issue on mine. Will start, but die as soon as you release the button. Off to my shop to see if they will do anything; if not I'll take care of it here.
    chasdog likes this.
  9. chittyrox

chittyrox Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have a AT or ATAS model?
    chasdog likes this.
  10. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Update, I jumped the DLC plug again and found a couple other codes it was throwing. Think I just hit the bike too hard with the pressure washer and fouled a plug somewhere. Cleared the codes, rode home, everything works fine now.
    Amphib likes this.
  11. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    not an issue per se, but I had a little high side a while back.

The ALT rider bars did their job, but the left turn signal broke. It's held together with tape now, and will be getting replaced in the off season.
    I want to replace them with something floppier, i.e. CRF450L signals.
    links partly work. Select turn signals once on the page.
    They are not cheap, and would require buiyng the entire assembly. About $105 per side. If I do go this route, I would need to buy a front set for $210 USD
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/21

Surprisingly, 2017 are not cheap either, about $62 for the entire assembly. Obvs..I would only need one
    33450-MJP-A61 TURN SIGNAL ASSY., L. FR. (12V 21W)
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/6

I could go stupid cheap and go ebay chinese cheepies, but, there will not be ones with running lights (not super critical), and will not be as bright.
    I've used some super flexible ones on the SV build that were decent, but not bright at all, even slowed down.
    They worked well, even without a resistor to slow the rate
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Univer...nal-Light-Indicator-Blinker-Lamp/233080549757
    Would need to make adapters for the turn signal wells...but got lots of puck board laying abooot.

Also found these, but they don't seem very flexible..and not running light compliant for the front, price per pair, so nothing to write home about
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-HONDA-...rn-Signal-Light/323213903096?var=512288453829
    Anyone switch out the OEMs? ideas?
  12. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Some cheap OEM used ones on eBay right now.
  14. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    not to sound lazy, but linky?
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  16. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a '16 manual. My buddies bike is the 18 ATAdventure.
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  18. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I had them on my 350 EXCF. They weren't super bright but were sufficiently bright. And they seemed indestructable.