1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    since I don't flip the AT regularly...I'm more after brightness. But good to know!
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The OEMs are great when it comes to brightness. They just need flexible stalks.
  3. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Yep. the CRF450L are very bright and really flexible. not sure if I'd want to spend $400 USD on a set of turnsignals though...
  4. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I really want to see if I could cleanly and effectively graft the stock front signals onto the Tuff Lights stalks. I've unfortunately already discovered that if you smash the front OEM ones, it breaks all kinds of other bits of front trim plastic :(
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That's the problem. The turn signal itself is fine. Probably best to relocate them to the fairing using flush mounts.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  7. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't go that route. Then you have to cover one hole, and make another in the plastics...
    I did think about glue on LED strips, and putting them on the bars. I've done something similar with my xt1200 hand guards, but the plastic faded quickly, and the light was dimmer still.
    The Chinese bendy ones are decent. Might give those a go. In case of a bad drop, they will simply bend out of the way..will see this winter when I get into it.
  8. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    that's the 2018 ones, and they are solid, as @Nihon Newbie said, its a knock on effect to the rest of the fairing, and they ain't cheap either, and don't have the running light option.
    I think the below will work on two wire t.signals, and still retain the running light option..the coil on the relay may even slow down the LED as it has some resistance to it...will report back in the depth of winter!
    View attachment 1864299
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  9. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    I'm now a member of the failed wheel bearing club. The rear ate itself at 16,000 miles. Almost all offload is dirt with only 1 water crossing that could have soaked the bearings. But, that was 10,000 miles ago. I do ride in the rain, though. If anything caused the failure, it would be possible overtorquing of the axle nut? Why is the AT particularly susceptible to bearing failure when it's a common PN use for a common application?

There were no warning signs before failure. No strange noises or typical bearing growl. All was fine one minute and the next it felt like I had an unbalanced tire and the entire bike was wobbling. A roadside check revealed very moderate axial play. But, the rough road feel and cyclicle bump that felt like a stone stuck in the tread was the bearing grinding itself apart.
  10. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which bearing? there are three. Changing tyres soon and I want to double check the suspect one.
  11. John2453

Oddometer:
    Rear bearing on the right side of the bike. Bearings are cheap enough to where I'd replace all of the wheel bearings.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  12. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    question, on your last tire change, were the wheel spacers put back in the same spot? I think the Honda manual has them backwards.
    16k miles is not a lot. I'm at the same point. I'm almost tempted to pull the bearings over the winter, and put in new ones...cheap insurance
  13. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put my wheel back in after having off for two weeks. I followed the manual. Which side does the cowboy hat one go on?
  14. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sprocket side, with flange against swing arm.
    gve.mcmlxxiv likes this.
  15. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Thanks! one more thing to do tonight. maybe the battery dying when it did was a blessing in disguise otherwise I would have gone out and ridden like that. New lithium battery got delivered today while I was at work.

DOES THE MANUAL HAVE ANY OTHER MISTAKES THAT ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT?
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    I know the owners manual had a bunch of retarded typos like maintenance intervals etc.
    Honda sent out replacement manuals. Now...I wish they would send out replacement suspension..that works:amazon
  17. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Fork cap installation on to damper rod. If you follow manual, you only end up with 1.5 turns of rebound adjustment.

To set rebound needle, screw all the way out, then screw in about 3.5 turns.
    Screw fork cap on gently until you feel needle just seat.
    Hold fork cap and nip up the lock nut. Recheck to see if you have the approx 3.5 turns in the rebound adjuster.
    NSFW likes this.
  18. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    i bought the shop manual on ebay in 3ring binder form
  19. John2453

Oddometer:
    I didn't know it would work installed backwards...
  20. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't know. Haven't tried.
    Have read here plenty of times, folks that have re installed it with flange to sprocket, as it is printed in manual.
    W/S manual is your bikes bible, but people should take note how things come apart.