The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Yes if I buy one it will definitely be with the DCT. Has Honda done anything about the forks is there a recall?
    Really appreciate the input so far
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    No recall. Some guys have been lucky with warranty replacement. There's a lot posted in the threads here. @Motociclo has been very involved with trying different things among several other guys.

Cogent has a write up and some recipes.

https://www.motocd.com/honda-crf1000-africa-twin-suspension-upgrades/

So does konflict...

https://www.konflictmotorsports.com/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-works-suspension-kit

My bike is working great... No issues, but now that my farkles are about done, I'm going to start saving for an upgrade using cogent... They're in my neighborhood.
  3. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Jump the appropriate wires on the DLC plug under the seat, the one with the red dummy connector cap. There should be 4 wires terminating at that plug. For my CA model US bike, it's the grey/blue gray/green wires that need to be jumped together. Preferably use a 5amp an inline fuse to jump the connection. Don this with the key OFF. Once jumper is in place, turn the key to ON and watch the patterns of the MIL. There's even a Honda tool for this job, and this whole process is in the service manual, under how you read the MIL trouble codes without the data reader.

Anyways, long story short, look at which, if any, codes the MIL blinks. My first thought is either injector failure, or O2 sensor heater failure. Possibly even just a loose connection to the O2 sensor.

I would unplug the O2 sensor, cleanb the plug contacts and inspect the wiring to the plug. Dry, plug back in. Manual will tell you how to clear any stored trouble codes. They don't get erased from disconnecting the battery as they're stored in the ECU's EPROM.

After cleaning the sensor plug, documenting MIL codes, addressing any trouble codes, and clearing them from memory, try riding at lower altitudes first and see if it shows any codes then. If none, ride to problem altitude and check again.

Best of luck, and be VERY careful to double check which wires you're jumping on the DLC plug.
    ameen likes this.
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the SKF seal part number?

I searched, but was unable to find it.

Just developed a leak on my left fork. Cleaned it, and will see if that fixes it....temporarily....but want to order new seals to put in over the winter.
  5. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are a few options,

https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/45mm-showa-fork-seal-wiper-set

http://www.jwtimports.com.au/shop/skf-products/skf-fork-seals/skf-fork-seals-kit-kit45s

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00...1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5/Products/SKF-FSKCRF
    Yooper_Bob and swimmer like this.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve noticed that the bike has been have some stumbling at idle after being started, and today it actually cut out after a bit as I was getting my gear on. Started up again with no issues and came up to temp no issues the second, but still concerning. Is there a common culprit for this? Air filters done ~4K ago, bike has 23k miles, ‘16.
  7. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Possibly dodgy start switch. Known issue.
    Happens on occassions.
    Can replace with newer version, or clean contacts.
    I still have original,(16), cleaned and lubed contacts. No issues since.
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Cold start, mine will do that occasionally. I'm not sure why, but after 45 sec or so, it levels off then fine. I just assumed it it wants to be at correct operating temperature. It never does it warm.... Or hot.
    Wayward Gypsy likes this.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn’t sure if that’s what people meant by “hard start” since to me I figured that was a long crank period.
  10. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Mine would sometimes stall after releasing starter button. Other times stumble and stall.
    Once the button contacts were cleaned, no more issues.
    Never had a long crank issue, just the stall or stumble.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I’ll get in there and give it a clean and di-electric greasing.
  12. ameen

ameen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I’ll try this soon. I think tomorrow I will finally be down to around 2800 M elevation, but after more riding I don’t think it’s altitude dependent anymore. Just happened to show up at the same time.

Many times when I start it, it will either be able to rev fully through the rev range or get stuck around 5-6k rpms. If I shut it off and restart it it fixes it. It may take a few tries but usually solves its.

I have to check the codes but I’m starting to think I have some crap blocking the fuel filter. When I turn it off, it releases suction and it’s a gamble if it opens up again when restarting. At least that is what is going through my head and seems similar to when my friend’s ATAS had gunk in the tank from the overspray issue. I’ll be in Kathmandu soon and have time to take off the tank and check.

Maybe I’m hoping it’s this so I don’t have to find new parts :)
  13. Bushyar15

Bushyar15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a search and didn't find the answer. Is this gas tank weld issue happening the 2019 ATAS as well? Curious before I take a trip and wind up stranded.... TIA
  14. ameen

ameen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i am following the DLC reset process in the manual but can’t seem to get the codes to clear. Any advice? I am just using a wire to short it

When i read the codes I get 23 (O2 sensor, but that could be from anytime) and 41(????).
  15. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    I don't have my service manual in front of me right now but I can look up code #41 when I get home.

I think to clear the codes you need to jump the connections, then turn key to ON, then immediately pull the wire, and put it back in.
  16. ameen

ameen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s what I tried but it didn’t clear. It should flash to show it was correctly reset but it doesn’t.

I have the service manual but 41 isn’t in it...
  17. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    A long shot but I had similar power issues a while back.
    The culprit was a loose PAIR Control solenoid valve: (not the reed valve)
    Worth a look.
    pp. 7-19
    upload_2019-9-10_8-45-58.png
    windowto, Nihon Newbie and mb300 like this.
  18. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Indeed it's not...That's weird!
  19. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    mine has done it once or twice in the last 10k.
    2017 slushie, 25k km. Will take both switches off this winter as I plan to upgrade the bars. Will give them a good clean.
  20. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    other option are the kawasaki seals, and double up the oem dust seal. Works great, for fraction of the cost.
    Culprit is a weak oem dust seal, and single seal on oem oil seals.
    Kwak seals are double sprung.
    pretty sure I got the part numbers and explenation here...
    SkipD, Amphib and Motociclo like this.