The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they spent all the transmission development budget on the DCT and just punched out a manual design that hit min requirements
  2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the lever "freeplay"?
    Pg 115 in Owners Manual.
    IndiBiker likes this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I
    I have zero complaints about the manual transmission. Don't notice any weird behavior.
    Muddler, Drum Dog and Sno cat like this.
  4. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I blew the ilum stop 10A fuse today on my way into work. Hit the horn, instruments went dark, etc... I think the problem is a shorted horn wire against the Altrider radiator guard the PO installed. Replaced the fuse and everything is back to normal except I have a CEL on. Searching around it seems like this CEL was triggered by a low voltage error coinciding with the blown fuse. I have read this CEL will go out on its own after some unknown amount of time or circumstances. Others appear to have taken the motorcycle to the dealer to reset the CEL .

Does anyone have experience with the CEL and it self clearing or absent of that a way to clear the error codes without taking the motorcycle to the dealer?
  6. rob377

rob377 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine had a CEL right off the showroom floor. It self-cleared after 10 miles or so.
    Nihon Newbie and swimmer like this.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Well, I have ridden my bike twice for about 30 minutes each time and my CEL is still on. So, if anyone has any experience with DIY turning off of this indicator please let me know.
  8. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Have you jumped the appropriate connections on the DLC plug to read the trouble codes yet?
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    No. Rightly or wrongly I am assuming that the CEL came on due to low voltage errors that presented when the fuse blew. A person on the AT forum blew this same fuse and that is what codes the dealer told him were present before they reset it for him.
  10. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I googled this because I was curious and surprised how little I found. Have you tried disconnecting the battery or pulling the main fuse for 15 minutes? It works on my 4 wheel vehicles.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I sent a pm to a guy on the AT forum who had apparently done the CEL reset himself based on instructions he got from the service manual. Hopefully he will respond with instructions. I have not disconnected the battery yet.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Let us know, I'm sure curious. It would be nice if there was an easier way not having to get to the battery.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    So this is what I found from a version of the service manual I downloaded. This is for a 16-17 bike, mine is an 18. Probably the same.

How to clear the DTC with SCS connector
    1. Connect the SCS connector to the DLC (page 4-6).
    2. Turn the ignition switch ON and engine stop switch " ".
    3. Disconnect the SCS connector [1] from the DLC [2].
    Connect the SCS connector to the DLC again while the MIL stays ON
    about 5 seconds (reset receiving pattern).
    4. The stored DTC is erased if the MIL goes off and starts blinking
    (successful pattern).
    • The DLC must be jumped while the MIL lights. If not, the MIL will not
    start blinking. In that case, turn the ignition switch OFF and try again
    from step 3.
    • Note that the self-diagnostic memory cannot be erased if the ignition
    switch is turned OFF before the MIL starts blinking.

There is a video of a guy on youtube pulling jumping is DLC connector in order to get error codes. Not sure if the wires he jumps are the same as you get when using this OEM SCS connector.
    Amphib likes this.
  14. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks. I will try and adjust that. I looked in that page and located it on Pg 123
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    2nd post down explains how to do this without the OEM connector. Would need to confirm wire colors are the same for the '18+ bike and also not sure where that poster resides if there happen to be different wire colors for different markets.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/201-electronics/23009-pgm-fi-fault-light-reset.html
  16. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    IIRC there are 4 wires that terminate in that DLC connector. You need to jump the two that are NOT black and white. Telling you the colors on my bike wouldn't do you any good, but if you can find a photo from the manual for YOUR bike, you can look closely and see the position of the SCS connector on the DLC while being used and that will 99% show you which wires you need to jump.

My recommendation is DO NOT GUESS. Even when I looked at my manual, the color wires it said to jump didn't even match what was actually on my bike. California bike, matching manual: shit was still wrong.
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, even though I have a wiring schematic I thought having the OEM connector as part of myttool kit wouldn't be a bad idea since it's only $20 so I will pick one up from my local dealer on Friday.
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  18. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was posted in this thread a long time ago but I figured it out as described:
    Once you identify the ground wire, the other wire that needs to be shorted is shown in the photo.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...problem-thread.1131281/page-129#post-32265925
    Here is where I marked mine: 2016 DCT model, but should be the same on all models.
    Green is ground and the black marker indicates the other wire to short with paper clip or piece of wire. SCS Connector.JPG
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Just to close this CEL issue out in case someone else has this issue. I noticed this morning that the light was off. So, seems like it will eventually reset itself if the problem is not reoccurring.
  20. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    On some bikes like the Tiger, if there is a fault, the light comes on. Once a certain number of fault-free startups have been completed, the light goes off again.

Not sure of the AT wrt to light going off again, but I know on the AT, the fault codes remain in the memory