The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the CEL light come on twice in the last year - and go off by itself a day later.

Both times it was after I washed the bike (garden hose) and then started it up on the centre stand - spun up the rear in 2nd gear to fling the water off the chain before applying chain lube. Next day when starting the CEL light was on.

Dropped by the dealer to get the CEL code read and on startup the light was off. Dealer said codes could only be read when the light was on. So I bought the dongle to read the codes myself - but the CEL light has never come on again.
    windowto likes this.
  2. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Nice! Post up if you can after you get the SCS connector and check for codes. My bike has thrown codes but not the CEL, so you won't know until you check and clear them.
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Installed the updated starting switch today. The old one was giving me starting issues when it got wet.

Managed to replace it without removing the tank... but it's a tight squeeze.

Hope this resolves the starting issues!
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  4. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think you have anything to worry about but may check for stored DTC if any.
    Just to be clear, the service manual refers to "CEL" as MIL (malfunction indicator light)
    This is what the manual says about current and stored DTC
    PS what your dealer told you about reading DTC is wrong, according to the manual.
  5. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
  6. PistolPetey

PistolPetey Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I'm not convinced the Ohlins are wearing i've been told by a reputable source that there are a lot of fakes out there and at this point mine are fine. My OEM forks used to stick just bringing the bike vertical while on the stand i don't have that problem with the Ohlins yet.
  8. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents on KYB conversions.
    The few that have done it, never have reported if there has been any wear on anodising.

The KYB are slightly smaller in triple clamp area and taper down to just smaller at seal end than ATAS outers.
    SSS, 59mm at lower triple to 54mm just above seal area.
    ATAS , 60.5 mm at lower triple down to 55mm just above seal area. Very similar.
    The only real benefit, your getting far better damping system than what stock AT forks.
    Hard to beat well set up twin chamber forks.
    The 48mm lowers on the KYB's are only going to reduce how much material there is in the outer tube internally. This couldn't be any good for flex.
    The ATAS tubes have a 47mm ID, wall thickness in above mentioned areas is 6.75mm and 4mm.
    For the SSS KYB, not sure of ID, but KYB seem to run abit tighter clearances,(inner/ outer tube), from experience. Based on that, I figure they have a 49mm ID. Wall thickness in fore mentioned areas is 5mm and 2.5mm. If it was 50mm ID, take 0.5mm off those numbers.

The Ohlins are likely very similar in diminesion.
    I don't believe the KYB is going to be any better from a strength stand point, only damping.

Shame what has happened to Gregs and his mates Ohlins. I would have thought that it would be a none issue.
    Some reading i have done recently on hard anodising, it is nearly inevitable it will eventually wear through on fork legs. Hard ano is quite brittle and doesn't like bending.

Next service will strip down my forks. Not expecting to see any wear. I expect these ATAS outers and lower combo i have to at least meet at a minimum, 30k km before i see any wear in the outers. This is when i found the wear in original outers.

If the KYB are lasting better, certainly happy to eat my words. I just can't see it being the case.
    Amphib, PistolPetey and Junglejeff1 like this.
  9. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have not stripped my KYB's down yet, but they have not started to show issues of stiction or performance deterioration. Or leaking seals for that matter either. Considering that my OEM shocks started giving me performance issues before 20kkm mark, I am happy.

I am not a 'let's pull 'em apart every few months' kind of guy but I will be doing them in a few weeks after the AT comes back from the shop for the cosmetic damage rebuild. But it would more than likely be an oil change only, unless there is some major grid/crap coming out with the oil like the AT had
    PistolPetey likes this.
  10. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Good they are working for you.
    I only strip forks for service myself.
    Revalves etc, don't require total strip.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder also because of lower clamp area but the sss forks are pretty tough units.I found some info you can put in your suspension archive also for future reference.
    2005-14 2 strokes: Upper 56.0mm.

2005-09 YZ450F: Upper 56.0

2005-12 YZ250F: Upper 56.0

2010-15 YZ450F: Upper 54.0.

2013-15 YZ250F: Upper 54.0

2006-2012 KX450F: Upper 54.0
    The upper is the same all years.
    Also I believe the sss forks are 49mm but to lazy to go out to garage and measure them at the moment.
    PistolPetey and Motociclo like this.
  12. Motociclo

Oddometer:
    Cheers, will add the info.
  13. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Yes. They are stiff forks, and work well. coating..whatever, I paid for them, might as well use them
  14. maddoggie501

maddoggie501 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had mine come on this morning. Its a 2017 with 2000 miles. It stayed on for about 25 miles and once i parked and shut it off for a few minutes I went back and checked and its now off. I just wonder what set it off to begin with!
  15. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    what what now? Fakes? Like China fakes? Seriously?

Who's your source? the guy that sold you the forks?
    PM me if you want, cause I'd like to talk to your source.
    Why would any one in China spend 4 grand on a set of forks, tear them apart, and go to the trouble to sell 20 sets?
    2000 sets maybe..but there wasn't that kind of availability of them.
    China copies shit that's simple, levers, lights, etc..I have my doubts.

Its the real deal from an Italian distributor, who also carries other reputable brands. Likely over stock.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/genialmotor/OHLINS-FORCELLE-FRONT-FORK/_i.html?_storecat=13088337015
    the above is just their Ohlins selection.
    All three places that I know of, or deal with couldn't get them in mid 2018.

Besides, even if I bought from a reputable vendor, do you think they would actually go to bat for me? and say yeah...the fork design is ok, or the coating sucks, and yes we will replace it for you.
    Again, I have some serious doubts.

Check your forks after 10k, or 15k and report back.
    Regardless of how you use the bike, it will wear, at the lower triple.
    Two Ohlins in Alberta, full tear down, both with worn coating.

Ohlins is in the same boat as Honda. Trying to cut costs, and sell us either on name they got me there on both counts, or by reputation.

I'm very happy with my bike, and ok with the fact that my ohlins are worn. In the end it's just money, and I spent it. Will not get it back, and loosing sleep over it will not make it better.
  16. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    so it didn't work for you, baffle in (gopher and pipe),
    or with baffle out?
  17. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something as expensive as ohlins is not serialized?
    MillennialFalcon likes this.
  18. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baffle in.
    You'd have to drill it out as it was all riveted.
  19. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    oh snap, so they don't even give you an option to remove it?
  20. Greg the pole

Oddometer:
    Not the fork. I can have a look at the box, see what it says. Looks legit, and not something that got cobbled together in a back alley.