1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Torque Request

Torque Request Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great advise as well, thank you!
  2. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/64501-MJP-G50

Check the 2 bolts that hold it to the frame, just to be sure it's not just loose there. If it's actually broken, and not just loose at those bolts, Partzilla looks to have it in stock.
  3. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quite a few of us have had issues with the front wheel "hopping" up and down at certain speeds, maybe 25-50mph for me.

I have replaced the forks with ATAS uppers, and the issue was still present immediately after, so to me this rules out stiction.

After balancing the wheel a few times, I have come to believe it is a manufacturing defect in the rim, whereby it is super unbalanced. Even with no tire on it, is has a very heavy spot. I have tried to mount the tires in different orientations to have the heavy point of the tire offset the rim unbalance, but nothing offsets this issue.

Anyways, I bit the bullet and had Woody's Wheels build me a new wheel, Excel rim with upgraded spokes. I just sent the hub into them. Going to mount the tire soon and will report back if this fixes the issue, fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    So thats the original hubb but thicker spokes ? do they drill the hub to the new spoke size and thats a standard Excel rim, I like that a lot do you have a part number on the rim (hoping they come in black anodizing mine have the beaten up look at the moment plus a few wiggles as they go round and round.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Marveling...

Oddometer:
    Like DCTfan said, I feel like I should chime in on a doom and gloom thread with a positive experience: I have a 2018 ATAS and have ridden it 6,600 miles so far, ZERO problems. I just rode it 2,600 miles from DE to CO. Riding on NFS jeep trails in the Smokies and 110 mph on I-70 outside Abilene, KS. No problems. Great bike, very comfortable and composed in all those different riding conditions. Happy Camper here.
  6. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Almost 5500 my '17. No long distance yet, but I've only had it since November. Covid robbed me of my spring travel plans. I haven't had a single problem, though I expect I'll be getting ATAS upper fork tubes at some point when I upgrade the suspension. The motor and other systems are flawless. Excellent bike!
    MadMax likes this.
  7. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here, almost 20K on my 2017 manual. Flawless.
    MadMax likes this.
  8. ski-line900

Oddometer:
    It's the problem thread guys, we're happy for you.

Back to the doom and gloom, installed the new rim, went for a test ride. Way smoother, seems like problem solved:
    [​IMG]
  9. Torque Request

Oddometer:
    Nice Civic, Early 70's 1200?
  10. ski-line900

Oddometer:
    Yeah, '77 1200
    Torque Request likes this.
  11. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    @ski-line900 please give us an update when you've put on a few more miles especially at higher speeds across a variety of road surfaces...

..."seems like problem solved" isn't quite as confident as I had hoped to hear from you. With Woody's in my backyard, I really do hope that your solution is THE solution but I want to know before I spend - how much was that without the shipping?
  12. ski-line900

Oddometer:
    Will do, only had a couple mile ride this morning in between meetings.

Cost was $550ish plus cost like $10 to ship my hub to them. Could do cheaper with reusing spokes, or oem style spokes.
  13. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the combination meter (display) comes off with x4 screws; overall not too bad.
    If you haven't tapped the front accessory power; now would be the time to do it.

PS. don't forget to take a 'selfie' with the front cowl on your face; it's memorable :)
    gammel and Amphib like this.
  14. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I freaked out and chased my 3yo around the yard with that on my face. He thought it was hilarious..... No pics. But yeah, it's a thing.
    gammel and DCTFAN like this.
  15. Torque Request

Oddometer:
    Funny, I did use it as a mask a few times but no selfie.

Overall the job was not to bad unfortunately I didn't get the middle cowl back on correctly (alignment tabs everywhere) so it is coming off again.
    gammel likes this.
  16. ski-line900

Oddometer:
    Got in a longer ride today, 100 or so miles. Town/Highway/Gravel. I will say that just changing the wheel resulted in a 80% improvement in the front end "hop" I was having. After the initial ride I reset my front suspension, I had the preload at close to max, and compression/rebound also much stiffer. I set the preload at 8 turns from max, compression 2 clicks stiffer than stock, and rebound stock. After making these changes all negative front end feel is gone.

My conclusion is that the front wheel was indeed the culprit, and that sub-par settings accentuated the issue. During the ride I didn't think about the wheel hop at all, and that is as high of a praise as I can give; it was infuriating before.

[​IMG]
  17. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're right (about the tire+suspension combo) and I experienced something similar when I picked up my used 2016 AT last year. The previous owner put in stronger springs (good) but didn't adjust the damping (eh) but used Dynabeads in the front (didn't consistently balance it). It was driving me nuts, some rides it was fine, other rides I felt I was on a hobby horse. It was accentuated when loaded for touring (less weight on the front); I had to replace one spring to reduce preload, added thicker fork oil, and some days it was better and some days still annoying. It wasn't until i pulled the tire off and found the dynabeads that it became clear what the issue was. My theory is that quick starts didn't allow the beads to settle properly and balance it correctly. With a better dampened suspension it might not have been an issue; with a properly balanced tire the suspension would be fine. Combined they amplified each others problems.

Glad you got it sorted too!
    Junglejeff1 and ski-line900 like this.
  18. Skyy223

Skyy223 New on the Road

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

I own my Africa Twin (non-DCT. 2019 built) since june 2019 now. I have some issues that I kinda can't get rid of yet.
    Im riding with low crashbars, mostly no panniers and a givi trekker dolomiti 30 topcase. Not much more in case of accessories.
    Tires CTA3 with 2,1/2,6 bar

First big thing: My bike is kinda unstable at highway speed (everything above 110km/h~65mp/h really). I feel like my front wheel is getting too light or it takes every windpunch directly into the tire. I stiffed up my (stock) suspension to max now, it gets better but isnt good. Andy advices? (im 100kg/220lb) Aftermarket suspension neccessary or can it be something else? I kinda wanted to make the africa twin my bike for alot of years but some things just dont seem right. The instability rly is scary sometimes even tho I think i never experienced wobbles. Also i feel that unstable since a few months now, not for the last year. What changed? Im kinda disappointed with the instabilities, not even my transalp 600 had issues there, with super old stock suspension, stable as a rock up to the 180km/h it was capable of doing. and a almost brand new bike gives me the spooks at 120km/h? Im getting second thoughts about my beloved at

Second: My helmet is crazy loud on the africa twin. Its not neccessary a quiet helmet at all but on my naked bikes it never was so loud. I guess it comes from the windtunnel thing at the bar so i ordered ruggedroads airdam (https://ruggedroads.co.uk/WebRoot/S...779E/5605/8152/0A48/3535/C9B6/4706-fitted.jpg). Will it improve with that?
  19. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Did you install a new tire or make any other changes before the instability happened? My '17 is rock solid right up max speed.
    bbanker likes this.
  20. Skyy223

Skyy223 New on the Road

Oddometer:
    Yeah changed to the CTA 3; Suppose to be super good.
    Before i had the stock D610 where everyone cries alot about. Personally never had much of an issue.
    and around the same time I added the topcase.

I tried riding without topcase, same results.
    Everyone i ask about the CTA3 is telling me that this tire is amazingly good tho