1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Skyy223

Skyy223 New on the Road

Oddometer:
    Upgrade: My bike goes to the mechanic on the 05th june. 12.000/1 year inspection.
    Maybe there really is something wrong with it, kinda hope it, it would mean they can fix it.

Other then that i wanted to quote out again: i feel that the front gets too light, meaning i rather not ride without my hands on the bar but i didn't get whobbles yet.
    Im just srsly scared that i might get them in the wrong moment.
    Question to that: if at around 80mph i feel like the front is getting scary light...and kick off my brain and keep on locking my frist on full throttle -> would the feeling intensify up to vmax or will it stay the same? because i actually did this, not smart but whatever and the feeling of instability didnt get worse up to 210km/h / 130mph which is what my AT runs on vmax.
  2. Skyy223

Skyy223 New on the Road

Oddometer:
    Little Upgrade: Did some touring with my +1 today and i played around with the rear sag a bit.

It showed that I get better high speed stability when i put the sag up but shimmies on low speed (50km/h precisely). If i set the sag lower, the AT gets unstable on highways again but shimmies are gone. :/
    I ended up at 20 clicks from lowest setting as 2-up without serious luggage.
    I now turned it down 10 clicks (so to 10 clicks inm total) when i go to work tomorrow (alone obv.). At halfway on highway i take a quick break and set it up to 15 clicks. If its even improving I set it to 20 and see how it is. If at 20 its good alone, then i try putting it further up with my +1 next time.
    With these 5-steps i can figure out where about im landing to finetune it from there.

I get the feeling I end up at around 18 for solo, 23 for solo+luggage, 28 for 2-UP and 33-35 for heavy loaded. Seems like between the low speed shimmies and the highspeed instability i will choose the shimmies since they feel annoying but not dangerous. That being said, i was going 2-up today, had them at 50km/h and let go of handlebars. It was shaking alot but not really getting into a dangerous area. Better said: I let loose on around 60km/h (no speedometer) the bike stayed stable, slowed it self down to 50km/h and got shimmierish, slowed itself down to around 45 and got stable again.

It seems like its limited to 50km/h atleast with 20 clicks in.
    But WTF Honda...this is a 13.000€ bike, i rly expect something better there :X Lets see what my mechanic say in june.
  3. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guide is rider sag (or as close as you can get to 33% on stock suspension) before anything else. Have to get the suspension properly balanced before tuning compression and rebound. I'm 150 lbs shower wet and had the shock pre-load cranked fully in (32 or 36 clicks) to get near proper rider sag. When the seals started leaking I upgraded to a 100Nm rear spring, 0.75 front springs with forks and shock re-valved. Very happy with the results.
    You might want to read this https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf1000l-spring-and-valving-data-base.1363798/
    Seems your ride went to shite with the new front tyre. Had some guys say the same with one of the MotoZ fronts.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I am close the same weight as you and ended up with about the number of clicks setting my preload. 2018 FWIW
  5. Skyy223

Skyy223 New on the Road

Oddometer:
    I will wait what the mechanics say on the fifth june.
    If they dont find anything, i will wait until the CTA3 is dead and replace it with michelins or pirellis. Some good shit.
    If the next tires show the same behaviour i will switch the suspension; most expensive so last option.

If even with a new and fitting suspension the bike isnt stable im gonna sell it. Then the AT is not the right bike for me.
  6. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read this for good opinion on how to set up your suspension to get the best out of it.
    https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/Honda-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-Suspension-modification
    NSFW likes this.
  7. Skyy223

Skyy223 New on the Road

Oddometer:
    Thanks alot.
    I measured it today. With stiffest preload i hit -95mm in sag; while I should have about 65mm.

Im too heavy or the shock is too soft. Or both ;)
    I read that link like 100 times now. I need to upgrade my suspension for a good result i guess. no way around it.
  8. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last weekend myself and 3 other Africa Twin riders headed to the NM BDR.

The 2018 ATAS had the known fuel filter issue:

This episode has reinforced my conviction of only touring on high volume popular motorcycles that are not first year out of the box. There are tons of after market parts and forum posts to solve discovered known issues.

This was my first fuel filter cleaning. We were about 50 miles south of Carlsbad. Duke is about a mile behind me and calls.

He said his motor is cutting out at 6200 RPM. I knew the cause immediately.

I told him “your fuel filter is clogged with paint chips. Let’s pull over and turn the bike off to release the fuel pressure. This will get you another 20 miles. “

Sure enough we got about another 20 miles, stopped and repeat.

I sent a text out to our riding buddies, because the closest Honda dealer was 100 miles away in Roswell. I asked them to find a mechanic in Carlsbad. They found Carl’s auto and cycle parts.

I called and spoke to the mechanic, Austin. Austin said he had never heard of an Africa Twin

I said no problem, we just need a shop, I have all the tools but we can’t dump gas on the ground. He told us to pull around back when we got to town.

The 2018 Africa twin Adventure sports has a known issue of some of the paint chipping off the inside welds and clogging fuel filter. I have heard of a couple of 2019 ATAS also.

Duke had about 10k miles on his bike. I though about pulling it a couple of weeks ago when we installed the cruise control to inspect. Didn’t do it, but should have. Most of the problem tanks happened before 3000 miles.

In route I also called DFW Honda, he will have a new fuel pump on Thursday so it doesn’t mess up our Idaho BDR trip June 12th. I also suggested he order a guglatech filter to solve the problem for good.

Here is the filter we are going to install:

When we pulled behind the parts store, there is a shop. With some street and motocross bikes.

View attachment 264579

Here is the video I found for Austin the mechanic to take apart the fuel filter.

View attachment 264580

Bottom line, Adventure touring on a motorcycle is a lot less stressful if you know your bike and some of the potential issues.

This episode was a pain. but it is very satisfying when a problem erupts and you have the ability and good fortune to solve the problem.

Saturday morning, Steve, Dave and I hit the BDR. I told Duke he was good for about another 4000 miles.

But Duke was not comfortable knowing this problem did not have permanent fix yet. I think that was a great decision on Duke’s part. After all the shaking, rock and rut hitting we did, it could have easily caused more paint to flake off.

Duke made it home Saturday evening with no problems.
    Lost Cartographer, gammel and NSFW like this.
  9. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your buddy's problem, but I can't fathom why he left on a trip without having preemptively resolved a known issue with his bike. It's a lousy problem, and Honda should be warranty replacing all the tanks, but it's like going on tour with a DR650 without first checking and securing the NSU screws. You just have to take care of it. It has nothing to do with being a popular high volume bike or not. It's a lack of bike preparation.
  10. bike fx

bike fx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-6-2_15-58-21.png

Luvin my new Britannia Composites Fairing. Great if you want a little wind , and just adjust up and you are well protected.
    Just came back from a 800 km ride in the rain and it worked fantastic.
    Thanks Ian.
    gve.mcmlxxiv and Trail Boss like this.
  11. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, anybody have an idea where the pics and instructions are for splitting the throttle side start/ kill switch and bending the tabs/ dielectric greasing the whole thing are in this thread? I spent about an hour yesterday looking for it. I took the screw out of the housing but it didn't seem to want to spit apart and I didn't want to ham fist break something for a preventative procedure.
  12. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may help
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-africa-twin-crf1000l-owners-thread.1112644/page-819#post-33853018
  13. bbanker

Oddometer:
  14. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    Never had to open mine.
    But this may help you
    upload_2020-6-15_17-2-28.png
  15. bbanker

Oddometer:
    That's it! There are two screws! Thanks Mike. I knew it didn't feel right.
  16. DCTFAN

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, Brad.

When reattaching make note of these in the service manual:

Apply grease to the throttle pipe flange groove.

Install the right handlebar switch housing/throttle pipe
    [1] aligning its location pin with the hole in the
    handlebar.
    Tighten the upper screw/washer [1] first, then the lower
    screw/washer [2] to the specified torque.

TORQUE:2.5 N·m (0.3 kgf·m, 1.8 lbf·ft)
    upload_2020-6-15_17-41-20.png

Attached Files:

bbanker likes this.
  17. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    There is always another screw somewhere!
    bbanker and DCTFAN like this.
  18. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Hi guys I got a standard low mileage 17 model that has started having an interesting issue when starting up on cold mornings.
    It wont start and idle without some throttle input like its lacking fuel unless throttle open and can take a bit on the starter to get fired up. Once it fires it needs a bit of encouragement and then is fine.
    Anyone had similar things from their AT?
    After that it will start and idle like any other happy FI bike without throttle wrangling
  19. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds counter intuitive, but it is possibky the starter button.
    When mine did same thing, would turn over, fire, let off button and stall. But strange enough, use a bit of throttle, would run.
    Cleaned up starter contacts, no more issue.
    Junglerot likes this.
  20. bbanker

Oddometer:
    Yep. Rock the starter button back and forth a few times. See above links from @DCTFAN for specifics.
    OzCr0w likes this.