The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Natyfour

Natyfour n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    My Africa twin runs great, starts right up, dies after 5-10 minutes. Won't start again for about an hour... Any ideas where to start?

I haven't touched anything repair wise so I'm not sure why this is randomly happening. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check your breather hoses and fuel cap aren't blocked.
    Natyfour and OzCr0w like this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Has anyone experienced what appears to be fuel starvation issues following several thousand foot descents? Twice, after coming from an altitude of about 9000' down to about 2500' over the course of about 26 miles my bike started to stumble once down the hill. Even though I have only done this route twice, the stumbling lasted longer and was worse with a low tank of fuel vs. a 3/4 tank of fuel. In the worse situation the problem lasted for about 5 or 6 miles. Bike never stalled, just some surging. Temperature gain from top to botton was about 30 degrees (60's t0 90's) both times. '18 AT. Not a significant issue, just wondering if this is common.
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Maybe try popping the gas cap to see if there's pressure or a suction that might be causing a problem?
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I felt it likely that venting the tank would resolve it but wanted to see if the situation would resolve itself which it did. Just curious if anyone else had experienced this. Although unlikely, it's possible I pinched a vent hose the last time I reinstalled the tank.
  6. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    One way to confirm would be if, hopefully not, it happens again, instead of waiting an hour, open/close the tank cap and try again...
  7. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    US bike. Do you have the EVAP system with canister under the seat? Possible this is the cause??
    Gas cap has a small screw & plate which retains a small spring and rubber plunger. Check if clean and freely moving.
  8. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to know what road drops 6,500 ft in 26 miles!
    Cuchulainn and windowto like this.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Elevation of Tucson is about 2500' and a mountain just outside of town is about 9000' at the top.
    Blaise W likes this.
  10. Natyfour

Natyfour n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok drained the tube front of battery box. Other 2 tubes were clear. Removed air filters, opened gas tank lid. Same issue. Any other tips? Thanks!
  11. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Long shot.
    Coil/s may be faulty.
    Have had vehicles in past with a coil that when hot, would stop, then once cooled would run again until hot. Like i said, very long shot.
    Give the starter button contacts a clean and start to check a few conections. Battery inclusive.
  12. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Natyfour IF you have an Adventure Sport model you likely have the fuel tank problem. It is fairly common.
    blrfjr, Winger57 and Cuchulainn like this.
  13. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    road drop.jpg
  14. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have noticed really weird behaviour with the "engine brake" in signifficant and sudden height/temperature changes. After going up and down several mountain passes from 400m to 3500m and from 32ºC to 0ºC, the engine was pushing uphill with fully closed throttle. Something as when you hit a "resume cruise" button.

(Edit) Sorry for the unit measures.
  15. moparren

moparren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, every summer (except this year) I go up the control road and come down Catalina Highway at least once.

Never had the issue you're describing.
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've had the tank lifted up a couple of times, maybe I have a partially pinched vent tube or something. Not going to bother with anything until I have another reason to lift the tank.
  17. ameen

ameen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    out of curiosity, when/how did you resolve it when you were riding?
    I had something very similar. It would lose power and even with the clutch pulled in not rev over 5k rpm. Oddly, I could turn it off and back on a few times (even while riding) and it would fix it, at least for a while.

The issue for me only happened at elevation. Primarily when over 4500m or more for a longer period of time. Checked the fuel filter, pump, hoses and even vale clearances etc. with no issues. Runs fine once I could get down to realistic altitudes and haven't spent the time to dig deeper.

My current hunch is it could be some sensors at one end or the other of their tolerance ranges. Getting to thinner air might be just enough to throw it off. Im back in the States now and it will be hard to test rides over with 5000m or so of elevation so I kinda am just letting it go for now.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    It just resolved itself after a few minutes of riding.
  19. Anjin455

Anjin455 Riding on the company dime

Oddometer:
    Is anyone else seeing a lot of wear on the drive shaft splines for their 2016 standard? I am running a 14 tooth front sprocket, lots of highway miles with a good amount of gravel and forest roads in between. The wear on the splines is causing quite a bit of slop in the drive gear as it mates to the output spline shaft. It's going to have to be replaced. I am sitting right around 50k miles on the bike...FML
  20. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noticed some red rust dust on my 2017 under the bolt / washer that retains the sprocket at ~23,000km. Replaced sprockets with Honda OEM.
    Applied plenty of Moly Paste (Honda expensive stuff) to the splines with the new sprocket.
    I think if you keep the splines lubed with Moly Paste and use good quality sprockets wear should be minimized.

That sounds like an expensive repair - engine out and split the cases?