The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

No leaks on the 2016 (15XXX miles,) 2017 (35XXX? miles,) or 2018 (31XXX miles.)
    But, to be fair, much of my milage is on paved surfaces whereas many here take their bikes off road. My not paved road mileage isn't even double figures.
  2. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done any work on the bike recently, other than boosting a dead battery. I will take the fairings off today and have a look at what I can find for air leaks. I think this is almost definitely a high idle issue and not a transmission issue. The transmission is doing exactly what it is supposed to, from what I've read.
    Thanks.
  3. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any chance you are missing the cap from one of the air filter drain tubes? Less likely to cause this, but is easy enough to check.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've seen the reports of wear, just not leaking seals on the "18-'19.
  5. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try this:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...problem-thread.1131281/page-179#post-33908373
  6. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I was surprised, but one of them had a crack in the porcelain. Maybe a manufacturer's defect or just bad luck? No other symtpoms.
  7. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to try anything, but would this be applicable in my situation? I don't understand how it could help as the symptoms point to an idle problem- the bike is idling between approx. 1800 and 2300 RPM.
    After I start the bike it idles at about 2300RPM for a minute, then drops down a bit, but only to around 1800RPM.
    With the bike in N, if I give it throttle to 3000-4000RPM for a few seconds, then immediately after I release the throttle the engine speed drops down enough for just a moment that I can get it to go into gear, with a much louder CLUNK than is normal. which you would expect since it's running at a higher speed when the clutch engages.

Replaced the air filters today and inspected the airbox, crankcase breather tubes, fuel and vacuum lines etc.
    It all looks good. Still idling 1800-2300RPM though.

Checked that one- nope, they're all there.

I'm having a thought-Is there anything in a fuel injected bike that a low-voltage battery could cause this high idling problem? I can't think of any reason why it would but my battery is on its way out and definitely isn't holding a charge like it should. I am hoping to make it to next year before I have to replace it though.

I'm going to go for a ride this evening to get the battery cranking and a fresh tank of gas just to rule out fuel and electricity as possible culprits.
    UPDATE: New tank of gas and the battery is cranking fine. the bike is still idling high at around 1800-2200RPM. It seems like it will let me shift into gear at about 1800RPM.
    If I put it into first gear right now, let go of the brake and give it zero throttle, the bike will cruise at about 12MPH. Its a but of a safety issue as if I slip off the brake while stopped, she will take off. This is getting to be a bit frustrating.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a leaky intake manifold. Spray some water with a garden hose towards intake manifold and see if bike starts to miss.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:

My bike idled high and the shop replaced the idle control valve.
  10. windowto

windowto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes, the simplest things get overlooked. It could be that something is interfering with the throttle cable and makes your engine rev...
    MikefromNL likes this.
  11. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Investigsted this one thoroughly. No fricton on cables. No pull with full turn both ways etc.
    I'm confident that isnt it.

This one is interesting. Did it fix the problem?
    windowto likes this.
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Yes. That part is what controls the idle speed and it can break.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  13. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had my idle air control valve replaced as well. Not the same symptoms and not a DCT, but it did fix my stalling/ hard start issue.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  14. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another update: I did a quick run to Costco today during lunch. Bike was idling at ~2000 on the way there and didn't want to get into gear. Same problem. Got it into gear eventually but it would pull when stationary in 1st and try to cruise at about 20 km/h, which is right about 2000RPM in 1st.

Started the bike up for the return trip and everything was back to normal. Idle was about 1200RPM. No problem getting into or out of gear, no pulling while sitting still in 1st gear.
    A malfunctioning IACV is making even more sense to me now. It wasn't working/ it was stuck open. Now it's working and closing as it should be.
    NSFW likes this.
  15. sheath

sheath Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:

Mine did it a lot and I spent ages going back to the dealers etc and never found a solution. this works for me:
  17. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Might be a long shot but are you using motorcycle oil? I used Mobile automotive (not motorcycle)and had trouble shifting the dct. Changed to OEM oil after just 600 miles and all problems went away.
  18. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video. Exact same symptoms as I'm having. Its a little hard to see exactly what doodad you're turning there.

Always the honda oil used so far.

I couldn't get the bike to go into gear today so after 40 minutes this morning I made use of my BCAA membership for the first time. Lets see what the shop thinks. Also here's to hoping the extended warranty covers this one! 20200915_124248.jpg
  19. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    Kickstand switch?
  20. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. It is definitely a high idle problem.