The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Bitchin ill order that . I knew there was something out there for this. The new pump does have a different part number so maybe the fixed it? But I will still order that sock.

Parts are still a couple days out I haven't got an email that have shipped yet atleast.

Thanks again sir.
    Getnout likes this.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    You mention this like its a common problem with the AT, but as far as I know this isn't a common issue at all on non-ATAS bikes, which I assume is what you are riding. Will b interested to hear what your problem ends up being. What year is your AT?
  3. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody have excessive coolant leaking problems from the drain weep hole? I seem to be getting a whole lot of it.
  4. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    I would say I have heard about this problem from about 10 other bikes. And yes my bike is a none adventure sport and its a 17.
  5. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting! This is the first non-ATAS that I have heard of it. I hope you get it sorted out fairly easily.
  6. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:

Now yall have me second guessing this.. i just don't what else it could be.
  7. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles are on your bike? Plugs should last a long, long time.

Bad gas or dust etc. getting into the tank could happen with any bike.

A dirty fuel filter is where I would be looking too. When it is pumping fuel at a slow rate, the fuel gets through the filter, and when you need more flow through the filter (AKA higher RPMs) then it begins to be starved. I would pull it and check it out if it was my bike, and install the Gulgatech filter kit as suggested too. This is assuming that your air filters aren't clogged AF.
    Getnout and Smittyrunner like this.
  8. KDouble

KDouble AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer:
    Easy fix ,but expensive time for a water pump assembly. Have the same issue on mine ,but isn't excessive yet. Little weep is normal according to the manual
  9. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    My bike has 47k on it. Plugs have already bein done when I did the valves. Air filters it could be that but I'm also going to change those at the same time as I do everything else.

I do agree with the more fuel thought . Bike goes perfect all the up too 4100 rpms give or take then it has it issue.

At this point I think im going to do all three and an oil change and see if that fixes the problem best case it fixes the problem and I have all new parts. Worst case it doesn't fix it and I have new parts. I dont know thats my current thought on it.

Thanks for the info. Parts are supposed to ship today so we should know in a week or so.
    Getnout and MikefromNL like this.
  10. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Smittyrunner it sounds like your bike is defaulting to the safe mode. I believe there is a way to cycle through the diagnostics to find out what that means. I don't know it though. I seriously doubt it is a fuel pump problem.
    swimmer likes this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I agree. Doesn't sound like a fuel delivery problem. And I'll repeat my comment above that I have never heard about a non-ATAS bike having a fuel delivery issue. Obviously that doesn't mean its never happened, I just feel like I have a pretty good feel, like a lot of others I am sure, for what common problems creep up on the AT. Either going into safe mode or an ignition problem is my guess.

@Smittyrunner , have you tried connecting diagnostic plug, or shorting the correct terminals, and reading any error codes that pup up or asked a dealer to do this?
  12. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:

In my opinion it has to be a fuel issue. But i could be wrong.

And no I have not tested to see if there is any codes. I might have a dealer check it out today or tomorrow and see what they say.
    Getnout likes this.
  13. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    Well it seems you guys were right. Its not the fuel pump or spark plugs or air filters. Now I'm at a loss I dont know what it is. It is better like it doesn't do it all the time it did it one time on a 100 mile test ride.

My only thought right now is maybe the front sprocket is worn but it doesn't look that bad to me. And only has 20k on it. I ordered a oem front sprocket this afternoon may or may not put it on. I just know I need to start heading south soon.
  14. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    That was my thought on wiggling the shaft by hand but it makes no difference, you can push and pull it as much as you like. Adjusting either the stop position on right hand end of shaft or TPS position on left hand end and putting back to stock location fixes it every time though its like it forgets where zero was (zero position = normal for idle). In the early models there where a number of DCT bikes taking off without riders using the throttle, to me that was the same issue as the high idle in a manual. I think its the fact that the Throttle Position Sensor was not registering the throttle as being closed for some reason and adjusting either the TPS it self or the other end of the shaft (the throttle stop) enabled the TPS or ECU to reset the idle position.
  15. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pair valve ?
  16. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    Thats what im scared about. If I was at home that wouldn't be too big of a deal. But I'm currently 2500 miles away. Im gona resume my ride on Monday. I want to keep riding for atleast another month but if it just continues to get worse im gona have head home.
  17. leethal

leethal 3 wheel Monarch #37

Oddometer:
    Replace the TPS
  18. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here - little bit on the garage floor from time to time, but mostly after I just bought it, suggesting perhaps the dealer refilled too high.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Is the bike cutting out at the same RPM regardless of which gear it is in?
  20. Smittyrunner

Oddometer:
    Typically in the higher gears.