The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also check your gas cap - the spring loaded plunger should move freely.
    Cory on Camel ADV produced this video on install of the Camel Tank
    27:50 shows the canister plumbing - what goes where
    34:10 he describes the gas cap
    Good luck.
  2. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    For those of you with fork anodizing / stiction:

How did the stiction manifest itself when you were riding?
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    1st sign was slight bounce in the front end. Like I'd be braking, going into a gas station, slow, smooth pavement, and I'd feel the front bounce up a little bit. It was infrequent. Then I started noticing it after braking for a red light... I'd either get that bounce, sometimes it wasn't so slight. Sometimes it would come back up feeling like it was notching its way, like it had detents, finally, offroad, they would completely lock up. I would think I had a flat front tire, no action whatsoever and frightening to ride.

There were other signs as well, long stretches of slab, they would get very harsh, I'd brake hard to get the bike to dive, then OK again.

Hope this helps.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

we will be at the Pahrump Rally this weekend. feel free to join us or just camp.
  5. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love too but I'm 2k miles away still. Thanks for the offer tho.
  6. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Lots of wear on mine. Never stiction. Serviced first time ~16Kkm when seals leaked. second time ~22Kkm for new valving, bushings etc.
    Anodizing wear is obvious. Fresh fork oil, new bushings shimmed, good seals, proper springs and valving make a world of difference.
    PistolPetey, windowto and cblais19 like this.
  7. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks ... I have a slight bounce most pronounced at ~35 mph which I've been trying to chase down. It's pretty consistent, no issues off-pavement, static stiction isn't any worse than other forks/bikes I've had. It's subtle enough that I often wonder if there were invisible ripples in the pavement. To me it feels like it's the front doing the bounce, but it doesn't seem so clear-cut to me.

Others have had no issues despite the anodizing wearing, so I'm not immediately jumping to replacing the uppers, and looking at other culprits.

Front tire has been replaced and balanced multiple times. I can't detect any wheel runout visually.

PO had dropped in stiffer springs so I suspected the valving wasn't up to the job, so I put back in one OEM spring. That helped (I think) so I figured I was on the right track, and jumped for the FKA's, which was yet an overall improvement, yet I can't get rid of that slight bounce.

Next theory is that it's the rear shock; it also has a stiffer spring, and has ~22k miles on it, thus about time for a refresh this winter anyways (probably going the Ohlins route here too).
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same bounce at the front between 30-40, it was there before I had my forks reworked & services and is still there. It was better when I cranked the preload on the back, so I probably need to play around with the settings some more. That’s an issue common enough on these bikes there’s a little thread on it here.
    Amphib likes this.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I've got a minor hop at 30-35mph. I did not have it with oem tires. It came on once I put the tractionator gps on. 3rd set, still does it. I think it's the nature of this tire but won't know until I try something else. I have had the wheel checked. Pulled tires off, back on spun it on the rim, multiple times in the balancer, took it to the shop. Ive gotten used to it to be honest. Below or above that range it's dead smooth, but in that case I'm absolutely convinced it's wheel/tire related and from cruising the forums seems pretty common. Tho it's not always easy to put vocabulary to a problem online and some folks are better at it than others.

I was dead set on going with an ohlin shock, but after talking with cogent, they have a great recepie using the oem with new internals and high/low speed adjusters. I'm going to go that route with a new spring and save a little money there.

As far as the stiction goes on the forks, I think a lot is just based on the individual rider. I have an incredible amount of respect for @Black99S. From his posts he seems a much better rider than I. He's involved with rider training and would think has a much more precise process for riding technical terrain. Where I'm probably more coming from the hey hold my beer and watch this end of spectrum. It's my guess that he's much more gentle on his equipment than I because of his training and approach, not to mention mechanical knowledge.

I'm always curious, why this bike and not that bike regarding issues. That's just a theory anyway.
    Black99S likes this.
  10. Black99S

Oddometer:
    Funny. Helmet coms.
    Recent ride my buddy on 1090 asked me if I noticed a front end bounce at slower speeds as we rode home from Squamish. Yup. Both of us with reworked forks, springs and different tyres since we last talked about it on a ride last year.
    Whatever causes it is road or block / knob tyre related in my opinion. Don’t notice it much and when I do it’s not a safety issue.
    Amphib likes this.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'm not about to stick a 90/10 on my bike to compare, but it's almost like I can feel the front tread pattern on my 705s at that speed. Goes away below and above, and has no impact on tossing the bike into corners.
  12. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    I've run that tire, and an AX41 and now a 805. Same thing, each time. Before and after tubeless conversion. I'm pretty sure it's not the tire.
  13. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had 705s my old '04 Vstrom 1000. Smooth as a sport tire. I presently have a ¾ worn TKC80, the usual tall sucked knob with worn paired knobs, on the front of Toto. I can feel it below 5mph, but not past that. I did have some harshness in the front end that I've now fixed. First was too adjust the fork clickers. Less rebound actually made a big improvement. It was better, but still a bit rough through the bars. So I softened up the shock a little and voilla, nice smooth ride.

It's not always what you think it is. I was sure it was the compression damping being to stiff in the forks. Turns out it was mostly rebound being too stiff. Thanks @NC Rick for that eye opener. Yesterday I softened the shock 2 clicks on the bottom adjuster just to smooth things out while sitting. It did, but it also settled the front down a bunch! Totally unexpected, but very welcome. I'm totally satisfied with my suspension now. I had a feeling it was just a matter of adjustments.

For reference, me and my suspension setup:

I'm 250lbs before gear, 5' 10" with 30" inseam and size 13 boots. I can reach the ground ok, but nowhere near flat foot it.

Forks have .72 springs with stock damping. 6 clicks out of compression, 2 turns out on rebound, preload all the way backed off.

Stock shock with 10.27 spring and Cogent revalave and high/low compression adjuster. Bottom adjuster 6 clicks softer than received. High speed comp half turn softer than received. Low speed comp 2 clicks softer than received. Preload 10 clicks out from full.

I don't know what they initial shock settings were from Cogent and I haven't tried to count clicks. Maybe @NC Rick knows what the initial settings was? Sure would be nice to be able to write it down!
    bbanker and Amphib like this.
  14. ClaudiuIgnat

ClaudiuIgnat n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello! I tried to open your photos but there are not available. Can you post again this photos with the set buton case open. Thanks!
  15. ROYMACNIC

ROYMACNIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, i'm having what seem to me to be fuelling problems with my AT, has anyone had any fuel pump problems or failures on a 16 model , obviously its a pre Adventure Sport , i've heard of all their problems , just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the basic model having any trouble of this kind, thanks.
  16. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last June the fuel pump on my 2017 standard trans AT started making different sounds. I removed the pump and found the filter sock completely covered in black junk/stuff/debris. I replaced the filter sock and pump for peace of mind.
  17. ROYMACNIC

ROYMACNIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, was your bike running poorly before you changed the pump, or was it just noisy?
  18. Smittyrunner

Smittyrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your bike doing a surging of rpms?
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Symptoms?
  20. WacoDirtryder

WacoDirtryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_7069.JPG IMG_7070.JPG IMG_7073.JPG

I just had to take the tank off my 2018 Adventure because of debris in the tank from the welds. Coming back from a ride on Friday it would only run 60 mph. Took the pump apart and cleaned out the filter screen. Runs great now.
    NSFW and William Wolfen like this.