The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Fact check: Mostly true. However this time I was just joking around. :lol3 :rofl
    windowto and Honda-50 like this.
  2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    @twinrider owns this thread.
    I blame him for all my major problems with my AT ;)

PS. I had no problems with mine :p
    PistolPetey likes this.
  3. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Normal operation. I don't like it but it is the way they designed the bike.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 11.16.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 11.19.45 PM.png
  4. klrkid13

klrkid13 what makes an "adventure......"

Oddometer:
    roger that.

fuel amount does not count down after reserve is met.
    Range stays stuck at .8
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    It looks like the level sensor can't be replaced separately, if indeed that final countdown of fuel remaining is calculated based off fuel level and not from the calculated consumption rate. The whole pump unit runs about $500. It might be worth pulling off the tank, pulling out the pump unit and moving the level sensor manually to see if its movement is restricted. I also wouldn't be surprised if in the service manual there is a procedure for checking the level sensor via resistance measurements as I would think they would use an LVRT to get that level signal.
    klrkid13 and windowto like this.
  6. klrkid13

klrkid13 what makes an "adventure......"

Oddometer:
    dude. you the man.
    I have teased (silently) the ADVrida forum previous but your info. has given me a couple of small gold nuggets.
    thanks!
  7. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put him on ignore. He sold his AT and bought a S10 over 2 years ago, and yet he still shows up in the AT forum to crap on the bike we own and enjoy. I have told him several times.....Get over it. Move on. Let it go. But no. He still insists on showing up.
    simmons1, cblais19 and Motociclo like this.
  8. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I misread your question. When I just checked the fuel level is separate from the fuel pump and can be replaced, part #37800-MJP-G51.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 12.50.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 12.50.59 PM.png
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Yep, looks like I was looking at the fuel pick up line and mistaking that for the level sensor. There is at least one of these for sale on eBay.
  10. blindsided

blindsided n00b

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the 850cc twin if it makes it to the U.S. May have to sacrifice my 17' and buy a goldwing for the road trips and an 850 for the real ridin.
    DreamRiderRG likes this.
  11. enzo972

enzo972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonjour tous le monde,
    J'ai une mécanique Africa Twin 2016 et j'ai l'indicateur ABS qui clignote tout le temps, mais il freine bien. Pouvez-vous me dire d'où ça vient? Merci pour ton aide
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Le frein antiblocage est assez simple. Vérifiez d'abord les choses faciles. Le bouton de commande de traction fonctionne-t-il ou colle-t-il? Regardez la bague de distribution sur les roues et assurez-vous qu'elles sont propres. Inspectez également les fils qui leur sont destinés pour déceler toute rupture. Après cela, cela pourrait être un voyage chez le concessionnaire.
  13. enzo972

enzo972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE = "Todd157k, post: 41868418, membre: 244586"] Le frein antiblocage est assez simple. Vérifiez d'abord les choses faciles. Le bouton de commande de traction fonctionne-t-il ou colle-t-il? Regardez la bague de distribution sur les roues et assurez-vous qu'elles sont propres. Inspectez également les fils qui leur sont destinés pour déceler toute rupture. Après cela, cela pourrait être un voyage chez le concessionnaire. [/ QUOTE]

Merci pour votre aide, quelle est la bague de distribution sur les roues?
  14. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    il y a un anneau d'environ 10-12 cm de diamètre avec des trous. un sur chacune des roues. c'est ce que voit le capteur lorsque la roue tourne.

pulser ring.png
  15. enzo972

enzo972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, I'll clean them up and say, thank you very much.
    Todd157k likes this.
  16. enzo972

enzo972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I noticed while cleaning the circles that the front wheel was not tight, the big bolt was barely tight, as well as the 4 small ones of the fork. I everything tight and this morning, no light. Hoping that the concern came from there. Thank you for your help. Best regards
    Honda-50 and Todd157k like this.
  17. enzo972

enzo972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an africat twin 1000 2016 mechanical and the cold idle does not hold and sometimes it stalls, I have to put a trickle of gas and play with the accelerator at low speed to avoid stalling, do you know how to adjust this issue ? When hot, idle runs better, while when cold, it tends to go down and stall.
    Thanks for your help
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    A few people have reported having faulty idle control valves that cause similar problems.
  19. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue and it was the idle control air valve. Replaced under warranty and no problems since.
  20. enzo972

enzo972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonjour,
    quel est le contrôle de l'air de ralenti, avez-vous une référence?
    Merci pour ton aide