The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by twinrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ArcticTwin

ArcticTwin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I will be taking my time going through all cables, check for damaged insulation and bad connections.
  2. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    The only time I have seen anything out of spec is at the first valve check always the no2 exhaust valve on cylinder 1 is slightly bigger gap than spec. Never seen an inlet valve out of spec. I have seen ALL the exhaust valves adjusted to the inlet valve spec by a Honda dealer and 24,000 km later I adjusted them all back and there were no issues with bike.
    swimmer likes this.
  3. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you shed some light on which wires might need to be checked?
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was back in 2017 I read it somewhere here and tied them down.I think it was on left side up by radiator under tank if I remember right.Have really just run the hell out of bike since then with just basic maintenance.I am not even going to admit how much I am over on the valve check but it should have been done 2 years ago.
  5. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    How many miles are you at?

I'm closing in on 30K. :shog
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    24k, Guess I will check valves this winter.
  7. SkipD

SkipD That looks stickey

Oddometer:
    The loom that goes over the left hand radiator had not been cable tied correctly and was sitting on the radiator and not the little plastic stand off that it was meant to be on. This mean that the wires could rub through with contact on the hot radiator. You had to loosen the cable tie down further (required the back of the tank to be lifted) towards back of the bike about 100mm (4 inches) then lift the wiring loom up about 20mm onto the plastic support on the radiator and re tie the 2-3 locations. If you look in by the outside edge of the left radiator you will see the loom either sitting on the plastic support (good) or pulled tight accross the edge of the radiator (bad).
  8. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    2016 Africa Twin DCT at 50,000 miles!
    Only problem I've had is that the stepper motor ratio controller wore out at 40,000 miles. Symptom? Bike would stick in gear.
    I believe that the Honda engineers considered this a wear item, because they made it readily accessible on the left side of the motor. $205 dollar part and about 15 minute's work. My dealer installed it for free it was so simple. I've now gotten another trouble-free 10,000 miles out of it so far.
    Here's what it looks like (yes, I originally thought it was a filter!):
    IMG_3279.jpg

The part is Honda OEM 31 300-MJP-G81 and the gasket that goes with it is 91301-MJP-G81

So, if your DCT starts to get stuck in 5th gear when hot, this needs to be replaced. For $205!
    Flying Marmot, Honda-50 and Todd157k like this.
  9. Nomadic_adv

Nomadic_adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the horn wires in the loom on left radiator is what you're talking about.

Strange the issues didn't manifest until after the battery replacement. With the replacement battery, the first part sounds like a low / bad battery. Check the battery terminals and threaded inserts in the posts to make sure everything is seated properly and tight. Check - pull and look at all the fuses before. Disconnect or remove any added electrical accessories. Hopefully no reverse polarity occurred when jumping/charging and your test meter is good.
  10. carlrf

carlrf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to follow up. Replaced the water pump and no issues since. However I don't think I have really simulated the conditions of when it gets noisy.

swimmer likes this.
  11. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv 2016 Africa Twin DCT No.272

Oddometer:
    maybe a problem without a symptom isn't a problem.
  12. carlrf

carlrf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another follow up;
    I decided to let the shop I work for part time to have a shot at it. To make a long story short, they found and corrected an issue with a balancer bearing.
    swimmer likes this.
  13. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Name that noise!

My AT has always done it. I've heard the same noise in other ATs. It occurs immediately after a start. There is a small 'chirp' that might be (seems to be) coming from the right/front area of the engine.

It's not a problem, nothing I'm worried about. I'm just curious what the bike is chirping about. Some kind of sensor reset maybe...although I don't know what sensor would be resetting at that time.

Anyone know or maybe just have a good idea about it?
  14. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    Maybe the the starter clutch.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Is the noise associated with an engine stumble or misfire type condition?
  16. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine does it sometimes. I don't worry about it.
    simmons1 and carlrf like this.
  17. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The great thing about little noises you can't figure out... they will get louder and let you know what's happening.. eventually. :deal
    simmons1, LouisPK and windowto like this.
  18. Flying Marmot

Flying Marmot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    This is a fantastic bit of advice and I’ll get mine changed ASAP. It crapped out on a notorious piece of steep road in the middle of nowhere. I figured I could free my gears by rolling the bike back and forth then turning it on. Gears work again but the hesitation in shifts and slipping of the clutches is appearing again. So no I know. My AT DCT is not bomb proof and had this happened on the freeway….