The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It appears both the newer 250L and Rally come with an Electrical Accessory Connector near the bars. However, most videos show folks wiring in phone/GPS charging units to the battery. Other then the having a direct connection which allows for charging when the bike is off, what are the benefits of going the battery route? As someone who isn't very mechanically inclined, tapping into the already provided connector seems much easier.
  2. supasonic

supasonic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R1200GS LC.
  3. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    some accessories will pull too many amps for what the plug by the bars allow. You won't be able to charge the battery through that accessory plug, and you won't be able to run heated gear off of it.
  4. mpillis

mpillis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have a DR650 and CRF250L and I love how much lighter and easier to maneuver the CRF is when in a situation. But I do love the power of the DR. So the DR is my adventure bike and the CRF is my go in the woods and play. Not gonna add racks and a bunch of stuff to the CRF. Keep it light.
    StanBo, 2thdrinOR and Bugchewer like this.
  5. mpillis

mpillis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2017 CRF250L, where is this accessory plug. Pics please
    ksucoach83 likes this.
  6. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I have other bikes for the road, like You. I have a CRF250L for everything else (trail riding etc) and even then with its low power output it can give a very good account of itself on a tight backroad. The CRF 250L replaced a 2010 KTM 690R Enduro. Nuff said.........
  7. supasonic

Oddometer:
    May I ask why you replaced the 690? Was it unreliable?
  8. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The below video shows the location for a Rally model. I know you asked about the L, but at least this video gives you a sense of what the plug will look like.

Per the internets (I couldn't find a pic or video) on L models the plug is behind the headlight on the right side.

9. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    There were several reasons. I had it from new and largely had a lot of fun on it both on road and off. However imho it was never a good trail bike. The motor was just too powerful and also too sensitive to throttle input. A heavier flywheel would have sorted that but KTM knew best. I accept however that the motor was brilliant as a road item. The stock suspension wasn't great either but I lived with it for 25,000kms. The rear shock was simply too hard and needed revalving and the forks did not have the travel they should have had, and also needed revalving. I soon realised that I should never have parted with my perfectly good DRZ400S for it, but I primarily got the KTM for a little more ability to do higher speeds on the road to trail heads etc. However there were other factors also that eventually influenced my decision to part with it. It was too tall for me from the getgo but I coped with that. Then there was my age and the fact that the uber powerful motor plus the tallness were mitigating against me offroad. Throw in also that the EFI was giving trouble despite a new injector and I was well aware of the EFI issues which some owners never figured out.

I started to look out for another DRZ but couldn't find one that I liked. Then the CRF was mentioned but all who knew me said that I would not cope with the drastic power drop. They were wrong. As stock the Honda forks were a little better than the KTM items and I replaced the shock. I now have a very user friendly little bike that I will have for a very long time. It doesn't cope as well on steep uphills and open bogland as the KTM did but it is always well up there in the overall going offroad, and if the roads are tight enough it is a blast. Do I miss the KTM ? Not in the slightest. :-)
    td63, supasonic, breakm and 2 others like this.
  10. induna

induna Tryin' to get Dirty

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the accessory plug on my 2018. It is on the right side, just behind the cowl. IMG_20191004_113653.jpg
  11. induna

induna Tryin' to get Dirty

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what kind of connector is on the accessory outlet? I would like to get a couple and build my own harnesses. I live in Costa Rica and shipping plus taxes for the premade ones from the US will about double the price. Thanks.

To answer my own question, it appears to be the one at the top of this page:
    http://www.cycleterminal.com/hx-060.html
  12. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:

Put some me on today in pa..
  13. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tire icicles last weekend! 20190929_112004.jpg
    StanBo likes this.
  14. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stolen from my residence in Muhlenberg Township, PA

5 years of fantastic times!

Nothing but memories now.

Yes it’s insured.

No I don’t care.

No other bike will be this bike.

And that’s all that matters.

My wife and I bought our bikes at the same time. Herself an XT250.

Together we set off on dual sport journeys and met a lot of great people in the process.

That bike started telling a story before we even left the showroom.

She went to swing a leg over it and kicked the rear signal off.

We laughed and said.. I guess it’s ours now.

Now it’s someone else’s.

Adjustments.JPG IMG_5535.JPG IMG_5793.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_7688.JPG IMG_7734.JPG
    StanBo, minkyhead and supasonic like this.
  15. Skellington

Skellington Pro Coffee Drinker

Oddometer:
    Damn, so sorry that happened to you. Hang in there, I had a bike stolen before also and it is a terrible feeling. Maybe a chance it will be recovered ?
    Mr&MrsEnduro likes this.
  16. supasonic

Oddometer:
    I'm so sorry. Hope this ahole gets bloody diarrhea -_-
    78er and Mr&MrsEnduro like this.
  17. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer! Hope he or she gets caught and hung like every horse thief should.
  18. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that's still legal in South Dakota
  19. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And Texas:lol3
  20. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    I'm having some trouble starting my bike. I used to be able to just turn the key on and hit the starter and it would run. Recently I've had to roll the throttle on a little bit to get it to start, and that shouldn't be necessary with EFI. I'm wondering if I might need to do an adjustment to some sort of idle air control setting.

Before everyone tells me to check the spark plug and that sort of thing.... it has brand new gas in it that I know is good because all my other small engines are currently running on the same gas, it has a spark plug with only a few hundred miles on it that I know is clean, I just serviced the air filter, the battery and electrical connections are all fine, and I have no vacuum leaks. the starter spins the engine and it cranks over just fine, it just doesn't fire without adding a little throttle. The set screw for the throttle body stop is in the same position it has always been. I have a 305 CC big bore running a dobek AFR+ EFI controller. All those settings are fine, the wide-band oxygen sensor is fine, and there are no other fueling issues. It just doesn't start right.

I've done all the basic small engine troubleshooting stuff; this is a more technical question.