The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 with 1000 miles on it I purchased used and I've been trying to get it ridable for 3 years now.

I'm a complete mechanical newb with no reliable mechanics near by so I've done some major stupid things trying to get my "new to me" bike ready for the road.

One of those boobs was putting oil with moly in the crank so I fubar'd by clutch. I replaced all the clutch plates with the EBK kit and stronger EBK clutch springs (had a mechanically inclined rider friend do the work while I handed him tools).

I took the bike for a test ride and within 1 mile going 50 m/hr up a hill my rear tire locked/skidded and my engine was stopped. I started the bike up again and it did it again at ~40 miles/hr about 5 miles later. So I towed the bike home and I'm looking for issues.

My new oil with 8 miles on it was dark and had silver non ferrous bits floating in it.

When I installed the new EBK clutch plates was I suppose to remove the jutter spring(s)....? I put everything back as I found it, so I'm looking for reasons why the rear tire locked up.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Considering you worked on the clutch, and then the issues started, that's where you should look. If in doubt [which it seems] take it to a dealership.
  3. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not as good in mechanics as you are, but if turning the throttle a bit helps, then more air helps. I'd definitely check page 7-16 of service manual, that is IACV inspection as you said yourself. Its probably possible to feel/hear if little motor is doing any idle air opening when you turn the ignition key on.

edit: also page 4-6, first row.
  4. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    non ferrous silver bits would be aluminum, doesnt really narrow it down much as a lot of the engine is aluminum, though clutch case comes to mind. I'd take it to a good mechanic, tell him all the stuff that happened and that I did to the bike, and give him some time and cash to fix it up. From that point on, so fully functional over a thousand miles tried and tested bike, you can start doing some stuff on your own with help of youtube and service manual, one thing at a time. You never do mods (in your case even non-oem clutch plates) when the bike is not functioning properly. Thats not what you wanted to hear, but I doubt anybody can tell you do this and that and it will be good. Now it needs troubleshooting eyes on (experienced set of eyes and hands), do it while its still most likely not a complete engine rebuild.
    OU812, 2thdrinOR and Griff2 like this.
  5. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    its would seem to be a intallation problem ....i/e 1 mile after the job was done ?

whats not clear is what clutch pack you installed ..if its the o/e pack with the one smaller diameter priction plate that seats around the juddr ring ..the judder ring and washer stays in ..straight swop .

...if you used the 250r kit ebc 1313 pack the judder and the washer must be removed otherwise the plates will foul on it ...

its also very easy to lose the return spring on the clutch arm if you lift the shaft out ..
  6. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    With my much customized 2014 model stolen and presumably forever, I’m now weighing my options for its replacement.

One thing is for certain.. it’ll be another 250L .

Considering I’m both a former board but active member of an AMA sanctioned club, a moderator on the main Facebook Dual Sport Page as well as the admin for the Pennsylvania Dual Sport Page.. it says a lot that I still chose this bike over all the influences I have.

It’s not the bike, it’s the rider as they say.

That being said my weighing options are the differences between the first gen 250L or the slightly updated 2017+ model.

Is there anything notable about the the slight “performance” enhancements between model years even with the modifications I would make on my own via full exhaust and EJK anyway?

Are there any panel differences besides color scheme and graphics?

Would a rack from a 14 still bolt up to a 19?

It kind of makes me sick to start over. Not just the financial side of things. I mean.. right down to the boot marks on the frame.. I was proud of those.

I had a shock made for my last one made by Cogent Dynamics. I just sent it down for service and installed it a few weeks before the bike disappeared. They could have told me they were going to steal it ahead of time I would have put the stock shock back in . Oh well.. that was the best $700 I ever spent.

Forks were done too. RT with the valve stack designed by a local guru. Bike was properly sprung for a 200 pound rider and valves for rocks who at times rode it like a dirt bike.

Whatever I replace her with.. has a big shoe to fill. And a wallet to empty.

Thanks for any insight on model differences.

Pic from the last time I rode her to work.. stopping for refreshments for the day.

IMG_7314.JPG

I’m also thankful I do have another bike to ride.. it serves a different purpose though. It is for the local enduro and hare scramble scene and for when I otherwise want some performance off road. Still loved my L a bit more though. Even though the Beta is plated.. nothing beats the dual sport motorcycle.

View attachment 1931027
    78er and OU812 like this.
  7. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about you bike getting ripped off. Just curious, do you live in the big city, not that it matters.
    Gone is still gone! Good luck with the replacement!
    Mr&MrsEnduro likes this.
  8. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not. But not quite the country either. Stolen bikes are an epidemic on the east coast. They drive up from Baltimore to dealers in PA and back vans right into the stores and load up and go. The dealer where I bought my wife’s KLX had 12 bikes stolen in April.. most of which were KTM. They were in and out with a uhaul in 10 minutes.

Mine was simply sitting in front of the house since I was getting ready to ride it to work that morning. Being that we ride regularly.. I’m pretty sure I was scoped out as we’re not on a main drag or anything.

Watch how quickly after you hit refresh how often a bike is listed stolen here. It’s sickening.

https://stolen911.com/stolen-property/motorcycle-theft/

I’m in the process of setting up a meeting with the township and local PD about setting up a bait bike.
  9. O Captain My Captain

O Captain My Captain Upsetting the apple cart

Oddometer:
    After lurking around the CRF250L suspension thread over at TT, I also bit the bullet and ordered up a shock from Cogent a couple of months ago. I see you're over there as well. Agreed that Cogent makes some fine suspension parts. The difference over the crap stock shock is quite remarkable. I still have to do something with my forks. Probably go with the Racetech spring kit and maybe some gold valves.

I also saw your video clip from the 7 Mountains ride last month. Beautiful area. I was there as well. I'm sure we must have passed each other at some point. Good for you for doing that ride on the Honda. I was on my Beta 390 and was still sore four days after that ride. :kurt

On a side note, I hope your wife is doing well with her recovery.
    Mr&MrsEnduro likes this.
  10. Ninjafreak

Ninjafreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In regards to your panel differences question I can tell you for sure that a complete set of plastics from an updated 2017 model fits perfectly on my first generation 16 model.

17D47751-7DC2-46C4-A609-31077C6962BA.jpeg

1684F190-ECFE-43DF-AC08-96194768C2D3.jpeg
    Mr&MrsEnduro likes this.
  11. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:

Awesome to know that. Thank you !
  12. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are a firm believer of riding a dual sport at a dual sport. I also have a Beta (300) but to be honest.. it would have been a bit of a bore it at that event.

PATRA was given a less than ideal set of tracks by the DCNR even though PATRA is the main organization that maintains it all.

Mainly thanks to the BDR that runs though there they have a whole lot more traffic running though there and well... the DCNR’s job is to mitigate the damage caused by that.

There is plenty of forest trails to be had there.. and they were allowed to use mainly rocky “drivable trail” instead. Not that we mind rocks.. we ride on old coal mine property all the time.. it just wasn’t what they would have hoped for.

Normally the trails open back up after hunting season but like last year they won’t this year again. Instead, after reclamation inspection, they’ll open back up to the public Memorial Day weekend.

Cogent Dynamics is a great company and makes a great product. My wife has their DDC’s in her XT and KLX.

Here’s a tip with them.. make sure you send your shock down to them for service within two years of purchasing. This will guarantee you always have a new shock for life. Any wear items are replaced for free. Just pay for the shock service.

I had obliterated my internal piston stop.. meaning I was topping out (too much rebound) vs bottoming out. The stopper fragmented and clogged the ports making it rigid. At just a few months before my 2 year mark they fixed everything under warranty and revalved the rebound slightly.. all no charge.

So in essence.. every two years you can have a new shock just by getting it serviced.. even if they have to replace the piston. Not a bad deal.

Man that thing ate rocks for breakfast. Where my 300 can feel twitchy at times.. the weight of the L and the valving of everything made it feel plush but compliant.

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG
  13. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    these scumbags should be shot on sight ...boils my piss they can just take somones bike ..not only are they taking the bike they are taking dozenand dozens of hours of time ..
    ive run both engines 2013 2017 and currantly run a cbr300 motor .. there is deffo some differences to be noted other than the the 2 hp which on paper is not a lot ...they have reworked the 2017 engine with i think cam profiles and throttle bodies exhaust headers and maps .....
    the main difference is higher up in revs and higher up in the gears it has taken away the tendancy to tail off and stuggle to pull 6th gear and it actually has a distinct little kick from 6 to 8500 where the old engine kind of fell away ..for roadwork in particular the 2017 engines are much much better and in most normal road conditions pull much better higher up and maintain amuch better mid 60s cruise ..there is a distinct difference in delivery ..id deffo go with 2017 engine if you can ...
    78er and Mr&MrsEnduro like this.
  14. O Captain My Captain

O Captain My Captain Upsetting the apple cart

Oddometer:
    I know this post is a few months old, but I feel your pain about the FMF system being loud. I also wouldn't get too excited about the quiet insert making it that much better.

I bought my LRP used back in March. It came with with an FMF Powerbomb header and Q4 pipe. The Q4 had no insert at all and, man, this thing was obnoxiously loud. After a few rides I swore I wouldn't ride it again until I could quiet it down. For me, it was unbearable.

As far back as April, I tried ordering the FMF quiet insert you listed above (FMF #040630) directly from FMF and also from another online retailer. Both notified me that it was on back order. I understand they are still on back order. I got lucky and found a guy from the UK on Ebay who was selling them. Cost me almost twice as much than what I would have paid if I bought one here, but since nobody knew when they would be available I didn't care about paying more.

There's no doubt that the quiet insert made it quieter, and I could tell the difference immediately. However, after about 500 miles of riding with the insert, I once again feel that it's too loud for my personal taste. When I get off the bike after a three-hour ride, my ears are relieved. And I ride with ear plugs in also.

Last week I changed my rear sprocket from 43 teeth to a 40-tooth and went for a 25-mile ride. In addition to liking the gearing change, I also liked that the engine wasn't revving as high and as a result the exhaust note sounds a bit more subdued, especially when cruising along. I'm not sure yet if this is the cure to my issue with the loudness of the FMF system, but a few more rides should help me decide. If I can't live with it, I will sell the FMF stuff and go back to stock.
    Mr&MrsEnduro and SAPB like this.
  15. canthai

canthai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just joined. My 2017 ... and where I ride P2110006.JPG Nan.jpg
    Griff2, 78er, JMGCO and 5 others like this.
  16. Ninjafreak

Oddometer:

I did the whole FMF Q4 setup with the quite inserts as well and just couldn't take the abuse from the noise. I sold it asap! Has anyone just changed the spark arrestor, removed the snorkel from the airbox and running an EJK. I'm wondering if the noise is tolerable with this setup?
    O Captain My Captain likes this.
  17. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Removing the snorkel makes the intake louder, but you can't notice it above about 25 miles an hour. There's no real performance gain from doing that either, just more noise.

If you take just the spark arrestor out of the factory exhaust, you're going to melt your blinker.
  18. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Throwback Thursday IMG_7829.JPG
    td63, breakm, 78er and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ninjafreak

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of replacing the spark arrestor with a more open design, not removing it and opening up the air box some. Would like a bit more power without the obnoxious noise of a full aftermarket FMF system.
  20. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    the changes you are talking about will not result in any real measurable gain of power. If you want more power without more noise do a big bore kit. you can use the factory air box and exhaust.
    78er, Griff2 and Ninjafreak like this.