The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everything is about power gains. Responsiveness gives you the illusion of power. The stock catalytic system has a pee hole for gasses to pass through. A freer system will alleviate all that unnecessary back pressure she has and make that 22 HP feel like 22HP has not 12 HP. Of course most of that responsiveness comes from the change in header diameter.

All at the cost of your hearing and sanity!

When I felt I needed to repack my Yoshimura I went to my local moto shop and brought up the loudness. He gave me a roll of packing (mat type stuff.. not the shredded kind)
    That was in essentially an unmarked bag. It made a noticeable difference which I was happy cause I still wanted to use my spark arrestor and not the “quiet” insert that it came with. Repacking is a pain.. rivets are worse.. but it worked. I’ll see if I can come up with some sort of manufacturer from the guy.
    OU812 and Ninjafreak like this.
  2. Ninjafreak

Ninjafreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's really all I'm after is to feel the full 22hp with a slightly throaty exhaust note. It seems a new more open spark arrestor, open the air box some and an EJK would be a cheap attempt and it could be switched back to stock rather easily, although the stock header size may be a deterrent on my 16 model. If I recall the 17 models came with a slightly larger pipe.
  3. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to remove the backfire screen :rolleyes
    OU812 likes this.
  4. canthai

canthai Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Is there a catalyzer in the exhaust?
  6. Jbrowning

Jbrowning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I’m preparing for a big ride after next weekend, and noticed last night my left fork must be leaking. Small pool of fluid under it in the garage. I wiped the fork down and pumped it a couple times up and down. Checked again this morning and no new puddle.

I’m wondering, is it worry trying the little plastic bottle clean out thing on the seals? Is there any way to see if I lost enough fluid and need to add more? Waiting on local shop to open to get some advice.

I figure maybe this winter I could rebuild them and learn a little more about suspension. But I’m pressed for time right now. Any help is much appreciated!
  7. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are sure it’s from the fork you could buy a seal mate. They are cheap. Or you can make one from a plastic bottle. Look on YouTube but it’s easy to clean the oil seal. Screwdriver to pop down the dust seal. Wipe it out. Run the seal mate up and around and out and check for dirt. Put dust seal back up. Expect a bit of leak as you push/cycle the fork as the seal...re-seals. Works most of the time unless the seal is shot or the stanchion is scratched. Good luck! This takes all of 10 minutes to do
  8. Jbrowning

Oddometer:
    Thanks man,

That’s what I’m hoping. Not sure where else could be leaking in that spot. Not brake fluid and I noticed some sheen on the slide tubes.
    fjmartin likes this.
  9. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. That’s why is not recommended to delete the pair valve with the stock exhaust but ok to do so with an aftermarket silencer
    OU812 and sanjoh like this.
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    There it is
    [​IMG]
    OU812 and Mr&MrsEnduro like this.
  11. Jbrowning

Oddometer:
    So I talked to the guy at the shop and he said that seals need to be replaced if they are leaking. I mentioned the clean out tool fix and he shook his head. Don’t think he was trying to make some money because he recommended a Honda dealer instead of wanting to take it there.
    Called the Honda shop and guy said it should be okay for a while with worse case it becomes a pogo stick feel.

do y’all think cleaning it out would get me through a week ride of dual sporting?
    OU812 likes this.
  12. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    While on the Trans America Trail this summer my riding buddy had both fork seals start leaking on his KTM 690. I used the seal mate on them and they are still good today.
  13. Jbrowning

Oddometer:
    Well that’s good to hear haha. That’s the plan then
  14. ksucoach83

ksucoach83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes a seal mate or seal doctor can help. However they merely just clean gunk out of the seals, which means it wont fix damaged seals.

I say this because I've blown multiple seals in the past 6 month from riding in muddy/sandy conditions. These kind of materials once dry, tear apart the rubber that seals against the fork tube. These small/moderate tears cause permanent leaks, which would be the case were you have to replace the seals.

Temp fix/safest band-aid with a shot seal would be to zip tie a rag around the lower fork to collect leaking fluid so it doesn't get on your brake pads. Nothing like coming up to a stoplight without front brakes
    78er, OU812 and Jbrowning like this.
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Or in my case I put on a neoprene fork gator which keeps the funk off the seals.
  16. Jbrowning

Oddometer:
    Cleaned and no leaks for a while, then noticed a small spot after about 6 hours. Just cleaned again with the tool. Will recheck in morning. Worried it’s damaged/worn. It’s a 2015 with about 8k miles on it, was hoping to get one more good long ride before a fork overhaul.

Don’t know if I’ll get a chance now
  17. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think it is highly unlikely that you have lost a significant amount of oil, especially if you are just now noticing it. If the seal mate didn’t fix it, you might want to try it again. If you don’t have a few drops after going for a short, rough test ride, I would just fix it when you have time. The whole world operates on equipment with minor drips. Just my humble opinion. Have fun on your trip!
    78er likes this.
  18. Jbrowning

Oddometer:
    Yeah the plan is to go on a short test ride tomorrow. Need to hear the new Q4 pipe I just put on today run anyways. And give it a check after. I have cleaned it twice now. Oil definitely flowed while cleaning so I know there’s a good bit still in.

I would hate to postpone to spring, a lot of the roads I was planning to ride are seasonal and most are open in the fall.
  19. Skellington

Skellington Pro Coffee Drinker

Oddometer:
    Went for a three day ride in the hills above Bodie,Ca. Always a lot of fun exploring the area since you can ride for miles.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/url[​IMG]
  20. Yaay

Yaay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

sorry for asking stupid questions first.. I've had a minor crash going downhill (not more than 10kph). The bikes handlebar/barkbuster landed on a small rock on the right side. Since that crash I have to steer like 30 degrees to the right when I want to go straight.. Just trying to figure out what exactly is bent. Mind that I use aluminium handle bars. Am I right that it must be the right fork that is bent? Or is it possible that some of the clamps (holding the fork or the bars) also got bent? Sorry for asking stupid questions but trying to figure out what to do now. There is someone on ebay selling a right side fork. Would you go for it?

Pic 1 shows the position of the bars to go in a straight line. Pic 2 and 3 show almost horizontal handlebars (bike would go to the left).
    20190908_111042.jpg 20190908_111115.jpg 20190908_111140.jpg