The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Johny Brando

Johny Brando n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys , I,m new to this CRF250 L site & would like to draw on your pooled knowledge based experiences please . I'm off in 10 weeks time to Nth Thailand & possibly into Laos too on a hopefully approx 60% off road 4 week trip on my own . I'm using a rental CRF250L which will likely be 2-4 years old ?? & no doubt seen some prior action !!!! Having never ridden one of these before I'm after general advise on what to mechanically specifically look out for as weak links
    ( that could bite me & potentially ruin my trip ) these CRF250L's seem to have a reasonably good reputation & off course I don't mean the obvious look outs like -Tires / Chains & Sprockets / Brakes etc ...... but like most bikes probably there will be the odd specific weak links & bugs that I'd like to be pre-warned off & know what to look out for on the day when I'm introduced to my specific Rental mount - maybe say .....duff auto cam chain tensioners or reg / rectifier gremlins or jump out of lower gears etc etc etc . I'm just trying to head the Indians off at the Pass so to speak !
    If I have prior potential awareness & know what to look out for it would be a really GREAT HELP . I am as usual taking my own tools & gear etc & I'm quite mechanically savvy & have made numerous prior similar long solo camping trips like this in Asia, so I'm aware of general look outs and the dealer culture & mindset & I do understand it from their side too . If I have a genuine" watch out - cause for concern on the rental day" well at least I can then raise my concerns & maybe try and ask to take a specific spare or 2 just in case I'm on top of a mountain in Hellarwee & a known weak link lets go on me !!!!!!! Thanks in advance to any one kind enough to reach out to me on this .
    Cheers , Johny B P.S . Don't know if I'm breaching protocol here ! but if it's any easier for you please P M ' Private Message ' me ....or email me direct on leeshelford1@gmail.com
    ksucoach83 and Thunderbutt like this.
  2. Ellrico

Ellrico n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello here,
    I'm looking for a second pair of whell (one for commuting, one for fun !) but here there's no CRF250L wheel one second hand market here.
    Maybe some of you already find compatible wheel form other model ?
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    been trying to sell them for last few months lol

https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf250l-wheels.1413271/

[​IMG]
    OU812 and ksucoach83 like this.
  4. kebrider

kebrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

i hope so. i have them up for a pretty good/cheap price (i think so haha)

i use to ride alot of hardcore off road with the crf500L so i had two sets of wheels, one with knobbies and one with 50/50 of them for the street/ commute. but ever since i got my crf1000l i used the ATAS for highway mainly and the crf500L i find i only use it for off road only. so ive got these extra set of wheels kicking around. someone else can use them as they are just building dust, shame really.
  6. frenchman81

frenchman81 n00b

Oddometer:
    il y une épave de CRFL chez un casseur du bon coin; les roues sont disponibles...Mais il faut faire vite...
    https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/1640086201.htm/
  7. Ellrico

Ellrico n00b

Oddometer:
    Bien vue ! elle ne ressort pas dans mes recherches, je contacte le vendeur, merci

thanks but I think the shipping cost to france will be a bit expensive ;)
    OU812 likes this.
  8. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    I used some advanced manufacturing techniques to prototype a petrochemical reservoir chamber to increase the run time ability of my mobile all terrain refined hydrocarbon recycler.

KIMG3001.JPG

And before you say just buy a camel tank, those are expensive, and the scrap metal in my garage didn't cost anything.
    OU812, mactavish, ksucoach83 and 5 others like this.
  9. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Short, cold days growing shorter and colder, but now and then a brief window of opportunity.... IMG_6050.jpg IMG_6161.jpg IMG_6207.jpg IMG_6212.jpg IMG_6224.jpg
  10. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great lighting...professional!
    td63 likes this.
  11. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
  12. Ellrico

Ellrico n00b

Oddometer:
  13. frenchman81

frenchman81 n00b

Oddometer:
    A charge de revanche; dommage que tu habites si loin...; A ma connaissance il n'existe pas de forum en Français pour la LRP...
  14. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    What in the faque?
    jank, 2thdrinOR and supasonic like this.
  15. Ellrico

Ellrico n00b

Oddometer:
    Et c'est bien dommage !

Sorry for ours non-French speakers inmate, we will continue in English.
    frenchman81 give me a good link for secondhand wheel in France and they will be mine soon !!!
    ksucoach83, Mofrid and Griff2 like this.
  16. canthai

canthai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dom't know how much you weigh, but the CRF is set up from the factory for about a 50kg rider. Rear stock suspension is the worst, once you add touring gear.
    Crank up the spring preload and you have only a few inches suspension travel, so take care on rough roads / off road
    OTT - roads beautiful. Rain more or less over, still green, morning getting cool - well, Thai cool
  17. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 75kg without gear and its about 35% of travel used when I sit down dressed for the ride, about 3 turns left on the preload adjuster, all stock. Should just do the 3 turns someday..

btw, I'm not sure that adjusting preload changes total suspension travel, it only changes the rating of the spring a bit, the oily bits still can travel the same length, or actually even more if there is a bigger guy sitting on it using half the travel just by sitting, and you adjust the preload correctly, he will gain useable rear travel.
  18. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some pics from today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Skellington

Skellington Pro Coffee Drinker

Oddometer:
    That looks like it was a great ride. Thanks for the pics .
    breakm and Bugchewer like this.
  20. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    Beautiful country to ride in!
    breakm likes this.