The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took a nice cool winter afternoon ride on a mix of gravel/tar today - distance 170km.
    Quite impressed with the actual fuel consumption at 35.7km/l (83 miles/gallon)
    pm.jpg
    Convoluto and Skellington like this.
  2. canthai

canthai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday
    W of Phrao.jpg

Attached Files:

Skellington likes this.
  3. Convoluto

Convoluto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice picture.

Let me contribute mine, a late evening ride out last Saturday:
    [​IMG]
    Skellington and Samanjo like this.
  4. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out for another hour long ride today.
    Enjoying the bike a lot, so far
    pm.jpg
  5. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    You have a beautiful riding area, wow
  6. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am ready to do an oil and oil filter change
    Will it be sufficient to tighten the oil filter cover by hand?
    I do not own a torque wrench
  7. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as you can do it with 2 fingers as if you're holding a toothpick, then about quarter turn and thats it. You should be able to feel it start flattening the (new) gasket, shouldn't be more then a quarter turn and you are done. If it leaks its easy to tighten bolts slightly more, if it breaks its more of a problem.

When you take the bolts out check if they are elongated around the middle, thats an indicator of previous over tightening, check that also for your own work next oil change and have spare bolt or 2 in future. Bad torque wrenches are worse then hand feeling.

Same for drain bolt, tighten loosly until it grabs the (new) OEM or equivalent washer, washer will deform in maybe only 1/8 turn extra, no more then quarter for sure, when you start feeling washer deformation in that first 1/8th of turn after finger tight, thats enough as washer shouldnt break, it should only slightly squash to make a good seal, very slightly. On next oil change old washer will be harder to take off the bolt threads then it is to put new washer on. If you continue after first feeling of deformation (1/8th turn) you could strip the thread as its aluminum engine case.

All comes down to feeling of starting to squash gasket/washer and stop there (no more then quarter turn, probably less), check for leaks, if no leaks its good, if slight leaks, 1/8th turn extra.

Now this is how I was doing it for 4 years now, not by the book, do it at your own risk.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  8. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, it will definitely assist me.
  9. n3nman

n3nman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the Smokey Mountain 500 on my CFR250L the other week. Did great. Little video of the ride.

Robertehv, Convoluto, bobcat and 4 others like this.
  10. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    One last question ........ do you put some oil on the gasket before you install and tighten the oil filter cover?
  11. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never done that, just cleaned the surfaces with workshop paper or clean rag. I don't see how oil would help with metal crush gasket. If it was rubber gasket then I would do it.

Be careful to place the filter the correct way, it has outside markings and opening with rubber seal obviously goes to the engine, I usually put the filter on first as it holds nicely to the engine, put spring in the housing, pull rear brake down for room, and place the cover with the spring in it on the filter thats already on the engine. Before tightening try the spring action a little to confirm that it hasnt fallen off, try to align the oil gasket as correct as possible before final tightening (it has very little play on the cover bolts), at least for visual effect :D
    strommonster likes this.
  12. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you breakm, much appreciated
  13. llamanc

llamanc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the length measurement of the stock 2012-2016 side stand? I'm trying to figure out if the previous owner modified it for the supermoto setup he did. The bike sits what I would consider perfect in SM trim, but it's leaned over quite a bit with the stock dirt wheels on.
  14. strommonster

strommonster Dan Jerry racing team

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's about 14.25 inches.
  15. llamanc

llamanc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I've got about 13.5" from foot to pivot bolt. That seems fairly close to your 14.25 measurement, especially if it was end to end. But I see so many people complain about the length for lowered/SM setups that it's hard to believe I have the stock length.
  16. strommonster

strommonster Dan Jerry racing team

Oddometer:
    Yes, end to end , total length. Sorry.
    Sounds like you have a stock one. My 2012 with a cogent shock sits pretty high. Probably would sit fine with sumo wheels.
  17. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before...I live at 10,000' and do 90% of my riding on trails and forest roads. I've already lowered my gearing, which has made a positive diference, but I'm now tempeted to replace my stock exhaust with a FMF Megabomb and Q4 pipe. Any other high altitude CRF 250L riders do this? Thoughts? Boreas Pass.jpg
    breakm likes this.
  18. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Waste of $.
    breakm and sanjoh like this.
  19. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I added a Q4 to my Rally a couple months ago.

I then removed it a couple weeks ago and sold it.

It's obnoxiously loud even with the spark arrestor insert in. The only way to quiet it down was with FMF 040630, the quiet core spark arrestor for the Powercore (which also fits the Q4), which is sold out worldwide and which FMF says has a lead time of 3-4 months. The extra 5lbs is worth the silence.
    dankatz likes this.
  20. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Why is it a waste of $? Did you put that combo on your bike and it added no power gain?