The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    You are better off keeping the stock exhaust and putting in the AFR+ EFI controller by Dobeck. It will show you exactly what your air/fuel ratio is, and automatically correct it based on your baseline settings. When running the stock exhaust, I run +5% fuel at mid and heavy throttle, and +/-0% at idle/low load. I change it to +5% mid and +9% when running the Delkevic. I am way down at 800-1300 elevation.

Background to qualify my opinion; exhaust I have tried....
    >Stock exhaust
    -Perfectly fine, no need to remove other than increased noise or reduced engine braking
    >Stock with catalytic converter removed
    -No real change other than more unburnt nitrates exiting exhaust
    >Stock with catalytic converter removed, spark arrestor shortened
    -No real change, but slightly more bass to the exhaust note
    >Stock with only spark arrestor shortened
    -No real change, but slightly more bass to the exhaust note
    >FMF Q4 with stock header [+/- insert]
    -Annoying without insert. Not too bad with it. No performance change other than engine braking is reduced
    >FMF Q4 with powerbomb header
    -Annoying with and without insert. No performance change other than engine braking is reduced and low rpm torque suffers. Usable power is up higher in rev range.
    >FMF Powercore with megabomb header [borrowed, did not own]
    -Annoying with and without insert. No performance change other than engine braking is reduced. Does not change where usable power is in the rev range like a powerbomb. Easy to burn pants/leg on "football" header.
    >Big gun EVO R full system [+/- EVO insert and custom made inserts]
    -Annoying, and incredibly loud. Insert makes no difference other than turning it from blaring loud to raspy loud. Low quality construction and weak springs to hold pipes together.
    >Yoshimura full system [borrowed, did not own]
    -Annoying and incredibly loud. High quality construction but intolerable noise level.
    >Delkevic 18" S.S. oval with Delkevic header [header is same as stock, but stainless steel]
    -My current exhaust, but I remove the Delkevic and use the OEM muffler on the Delkevic header when on multi day trips or at offroad parks. Not as loud as FMF Q4 if insert used. About same as FMF Powercore when insert not used.
    Pete_Tallahassee likes this.
  2. MonkeySlayer

MonkeySlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy wild flowers! Looks good. I was up friday around 12,000 for 2-3 hours and on the steep inclines the CRF250L is just gutless. I think it is just what it is. On flat ridges it was fine and fine downhill but I agree I needed more power.

CRF250L
    FMFQ4
    Stock gearing
  3. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    If you want better power, a 13T front sprocket and 550Performance ECU tune will do it better than an exhaust will.
  4. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    We finally had some warmer weather today, so I decided to do an oil change on my newly acquired bike
    All went smooth and I did not find any metal shavings in the old oil or on the filter
    Current mileage on this 2013 model is only 6050km
    The oil filter had a darkish brown color (is this normal??)
    service1.jpg service2.jpg service3.jpg service4.jpg
    strommonster and Convoluto like this.
  5. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Shavings get caught in the screen behind the side cover of the engine before they end up in the paper filter element. If there are shavings/chips, you are in big trouble.
  6. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Yes: it only saves a little weight, makes it annoyingly loud and there wasn't any noticeable change or gain in the torque which stayed at the same rpm. You've already done the most noticeable improvement with the sprocket change. How much do you weigh???
  7. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply and input. Did you put the Q4 on with the stock header? I’m curious if it would be a manageable sound level combined with the Megabomb.
  8. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Q4 and stock header. Can't speak to the FMF headers.
  9. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    Agreed. With the lowered gearing, I have a blast on the bike. When I get up around 12,000’, which is usually the top of most passes in Colorado, I wish I had a few more horsepower. I’m often standing on the pegs in 1st gear climbing the last few hundred yards to reach the top. This is why I’ve been curious if upgrading the exhaust will give me a little extra torque. Maybe it’s time for a KTM....
  10. CObiker123

CObiker123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would love to hear how the bars on your fuel gauge correspond to what’s happening in the tank. Thanks.
  11. MonkeySlayer

Oddometer:
    Having the same debate after last Fridays ride up in summit county haha.
  12. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in Summit County. Where were you riding?
  13. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Below is my "lite" adv set up. Since I have a small bike, I try and pack really lite as well. However, I am planning on going out to Colorado in late August, and will be living off the bike for a week. The current bag is a 40L waterproof bag.

In addition to what you see in the pic below, I want another smaller bag for 1) quicker access to stuff, 2) a bit more overall storage.

Stuff I'm thinking about for this smaller bag....
    • Rain Suit
    • Waterproof & Warmer gloves
    • Sweatshirt (warmer layer)
    • Food (bottle water or 2, granola bar, etc)
    • Portable Charger
    Other than the obvious tank bag options (which I'm not too keen on), what are your thoughts? I already have a Nelson Rigg Tail bag, but I have to leave that at home when my Rotopax and 40l bag are already on the bike. I might have to just do with the tank bag, but I feel that I won't love it filling up that space. I'm already a fat guy so I'm taking up a good bit of real estate between my body and the tank. Also, as you all know, with the stock tank, I will be filling up a lot.

2.jpg
  14. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you did a good job, darkish brown color is normal, its same oil for engine and clutch, it never comes out like it went in. Attached is a pic how mine always looks at about 4000-5000km intervals that is 12 months for me (Motul 5100 semi-synth).

When clutch plates go at some point you will be taking right side engine cover off to replace them and then you will also clean the screen that was already mentioned.

Only thing I check on the oil (oil sight glass mostly) after wet rides (creeks and such) is if its milky on top, other then that and keeping the level right (they almost don't use any oil) its just regular replacements and riding. If you overfill with oil you will be finding some oil on the transparent tube in back of the bike above rear wheel, below airbox, next to the black tube. You will also find some oil there if you drop the bike a lot and it stays on the ground for longer. When replacing oil I aim for the middle, overfilled once above max (on my first oil change), that tube got half full on first 30min ride, took some oil out with a small diameter rubber tube through filler opening and it was fine..

IMG_20200530_151642.jpg
  15. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you @breakm
    Now that I have serviced the bike, I can enjoy riding it.
    I am always apprehensive when buying used bikes as you never know how the PO took care of it.
    Luckily this is a low mileage bike, so I will change oil and filters regularly to look after the engine
    breakm likes this.
  16. Yuri_Ivanovich

Yuri_Ivanovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a rule of thumb that ICE lose 3% of power for every 1000 feet you climb. If that is accurate then at 12000 feet you've lost nearly 1/3 of the engine power. If 2/3 is not enough you have 2 options. Start with more powerful bike, or have less weight.
    Hatrick16 and strommonster like this.
  17. RidingforRebelGears

RidingforRebelGears Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the old style wolfman E-12 on my TAT trip. They worked great and helped keep the weight low.
    WalterMitty2 and Swamper like this.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

The only valid reason to change exhausts on anything other than a closed circuit track bike is for tone. Unfortunately many consider volume as the cool part, where the more mature rider (regardless of age) is looking for good tone, the right rumble, doesn't have to be ear drum splitting. In addition even racing organizations have noise levels set for race exhausts.

Historically it has been proven that exhaust systems seldom add more than a couple horsepower usually at the top rpm and sometimes at the expense of mid-range power. Unless you're racing where 1/10th of a second might win or lose a race, the exhausts are more vanity.

And yes I confess to that vanity. I have a full exhaust on my street bike and one on the shelf for the dual sport. It is for me, not for everyone I pass on the street. My street bike has good low volume with a strong low tone, a bit louder than stock, but definitely a lower tone, exactly what I wanted. It shows to be around 89 dB A on a phone app. Won't bother the neighbors at 6:00 am, but I can hear it as I ride.

By the way the Delkevic has some models with two different cores for them. The quiet core that comes with the pipe and an optional "quieter core" that can be ordered.
    Hatrick16 likes this.
  19. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Delkevic also has many different mufflers for the CRF250L. Stainless or carbon, length, tip style....I was told by Delkevic the one I linked to in my previous post [with the insert installed] was their "most quiet" version with the carbon variant having "more fulness" whatever that means. More low level buzzing probably.
  20. MonkeySlayer

Oddometer:
    We started in Montezuma and went up and did a big loop ending back by HWY 9 and coming out be the Breck side. Cant recall trail names currently. Part of it was amazing but the way we came down was brutal and full of rocks and terrible. Even side-by-sides were turning around haha.