The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Lapchik On my street bike (XSR700) I went with the longest 18" stainless muffler. I wanted good tone, with minimal volume change. It worked... and I still have the "quieter core" should I want it quieter yet. I did the research contacting Delkevic to verify no ECU reflash needed and that it was under 96 dB A. It worked great except where it burns my leg! I did some exhaust wrap and a shield over it so that's solved.

I don't particularly trust carbon fiber to not wallow out at the holes, fraying and breaking, so I stayed with stainless.
  2. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    I picked stainless because I can fix it with basic equipment on my own. Repacking, etc. Same concerns as you with the carbon.
    markk53 likes this.
  3. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    pm.jpg
    Went for an afternoon ride, to make sure there are no leaks, after the oil change yesterday.
    Gear changes are much smoother now.
    Skellington, Mofrid and strommonster like this.
  4. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be in your neck of the woods in late August. Some of the spots close to Montezuma that we might hit will be Webster and Red Cone pass...both near Hall Valley Campgrounds.
  5. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:

Thanks for replying.

I think I might just go with small backpack for a couple of reasons...

• free - i already own several small ones
    • has lots a different size storage options
    • i'm not going to store anything in it that can't get wet. if i do, i will use a baggie
    • i can wear it, or easily strap it in front or on top of my other bag. can detach easy and take with me or rummage through as needed.
  6. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate it!
  7. Lapchik

Oddometer:
  8. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
  9. Hatrick16

Hatrick16 n00b

Oddometer:
    You would have either come up from Montezuma on Deer Creek or Saints John. You likely came down on the Breck side via the North Fork of the Swan, which has you go through Garibaldi Gulch, which is steep and rocky. If you do that ride again, try coming down the Middle Fork of the Swan. Both the North Fork and Middle Fork come down to the same point.
  10. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    There are no Wal-Marts [or any other stores, really] in Northern MN or the Black Hills National Forest and I can't exactly run to the store when I have a flat tire or broken clutch lever in those places.
  11. Swamper

Oddometer:
    You missed interpreted my point. I've been in places very remote on long 9,000 mile rides, like in the Yukon and Alaska. I can say only a couple have ended up wear there wasn't a place to resupply or get something that was forgotten. I've even had to replace tires like on our Continental Divide Trail ride with the Rally. Wal-Marts or Canadian Tire stores have been utilized a number of times.
    We don't save weight by not having the tools needed to fix flats and work on the bikes. I kept the weight to 35 Lbs including the full Roto-Pax 2 gallons of gas on the twelve day ride 20180909_171600.jpg 20180915_162741.jpg 20180912_122553.jpg . Always include a first aid kit and a Spot.
    Motonirvana and breakm like this.
  12. MonkeySlayer

MonkeySlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup thats it! We were at the apex and came down that then vs. going the longer route around thru Middle Fork. I remember being at the top and reading the sign for North Fork vs. Middle Fork. That Gulch was awful.
  13. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    I get packing light. Carry what consumables you have to and resupply every couple days. I only eat food that requires no cooking [bars, fruit, crackers and peperoni, etc]. That eliminates fuel, burner, pot/pan, utensils. Water backpack and a filter straw/tablets for emergencies. No tent, just a tarp and a sleeping bag. Bug mask over my face. Tents only provide the illusion of security as an animal [bear] will by stopped by a tent like you are stopped by candy bar wrappers. I normally use my worst/most worn out clothing when camping, so I can just throw them away or use my socks with too many holes in them to start the evening camp fire. Safer to burn those haz-mat socks anyway after riding all day. Makes room for trinkets you bring home or just makes the bike lighter.

Have any other pack light tips?
    Swamper and Mofrid like this.
  14. Convoluto

Convoluto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, come on.

That shit is toxic. Apart from a nice watter supply, you just need a folding knife, a quarter of cheese, some bread, and a little wine. Sounds like a lot, but it's easy to pack and can keep a man alive and kicking for four or five days no problem.

When traveling/exploring, I always eat any kind of fish locally sourced in any bistro, restaurant or bar I happen to come across. Always aim for the fish, when prepared by others. That keeps you healthy.
  15. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Mmmm...rotting grapes......
  16. CObiker123

CObiker123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will second the Wolfman E-12. Hard to find right now I think, but for the size they hold a lot. If you don't want a tank bag, there are not too many other options. Front fender bag, but they are generally pretty small.
  17. Swamper

Oddometer:
    I found drinking any Alcohol just dehydrates the body. I do like a decent glass of wine now and again but not will on a ride.
    I've only used the extra gas (Roto-Pax) twice. Once was helping one of the KTM guys and the other was when I was pissed off at Shell and past the last gas station (Shell) thinking there would be more stations ahead. So unless I'm taking a route knowingly it will be over two hundred miles I won't be using the Roto-Pax again. I did however get a 1 gallon Roto-Pax (White) to carry extra Water.
    On our longer rides we use clothing which can be washed easily and dries super fast, including sox. Backpacker stuff is usually light weight.
    20180914_144258.jpg
  18. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
  19. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    What's the consensus on replacing a tube when you replace your tire?

I've got about 4,000 miles on my current tires (stock tires from when I bought the bike new). The back is pretty worn, the front still looks good. I want to replace the rear before heading to Colorado at the end of August. So far I've had zero issue with my current set up.

Should I replace the rear tube when I replace the rear tire?

Thanks
  20. Swamper

Oddometer: