The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to have their tail section laying around and available?

CRF250L Tail.jpg
  2. 301

301 Fully Auto

Oddometer:
    New here.. I hadn’t planned on purchasing a 250L, even though the new 300L sparked my interest. Went to look at a used 3 row trailer and the owner rolled this out of his shed, 2017 CRF 250L w/ 440 miles. Price was right and it followed me home.. now what???

Attached Files:

3. CRD

CRD Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go ride it. Figure out what what you like and don't like and let the modding begin. :-)
    breakm likes this.
  4. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As previously stated don't do anything just ride. If you don't like the baseline you won't like it with upgrades either, they just make it somewhat better, not a whole different bike. So don't go spending few thousands on upgrades before you decide for yourself if that is it or it won't cut it. Then if its good for you but you think in your own mind that seat is bad, buy a better one, you think its too quiet, get an exhaust (very loud), you go offroad with it, get a skidplate, you go long distance, get a bigger tank, you go seriously offroad with it or are a really big guy, get new suspension and sprockets, purely a street "fun bike", get warp9 SM wheels, don't like the red bits, get white bits... etc etc...
  5. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL 301 the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Picked up a 2017 as well. Was looking for a lighter replacement for my KLR 650. Great advice from
    Break.
    I have since added a skid plate,handguards,rad guard,risers with fatty bars ,different tires and a 12v outlet. Very happy to be a 250L owner after owning various 650 dualsports for the last 18yrs.

Attached Files:

Motonirvana and 301 like this.
  6. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I do in Michigan.

7. 301

301 Fully Auto

Oddometer:
    All thanks for the comments/suggestions.. being from AKA Flatistan (Central Florida) not many options for exploring off road, to my knowledge. I’ve mainly been spinning laps at the track on my KTM450, due to the aforementioned, now kinda look forward to putting around on the 250L and see where the Honda takes me. Thanks
  8. canthai

canthai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most find the rear shock especially is garbage. Especially for those of us who work our bathroom scale more than an Asian male.
    I found the biggest improvement was changing the suspension, followed by a 300 conversion.
    CRD likes this.
  9. wpward

wpward Stalker

Oddometer:
    Gold valves in the forks were great, seat concepts seat was great, IMS tank was great, I haven’t done rear shock yet but I’m sure that’ll be great too… but honestly for me what made the biggest difference in general ridability was a $20 front sprocket (13 tooth). The gap between first and second was horrible with stock gearing.

By the time I do the rear shock, objectively I’ll have put more into this little red pig of a $5k bike than it really warrants. But there’s just something about it that makes me not care. But I’m more of a gravel road, 2 track, and occasional casual single track guy. If I were more hardcore I’d probably just buy a KTM and make sure the bank account could handle repairs and constant maintenance.
    dbyker likes this.
  10. CObiker123

CObiker123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll second the 13t front sprocket. But with that said, I rode the bike for a year before I started knowing what I wanted and needed.
    VaderDave likes this.
  11. CObiker123

CObiker123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But speaking of, I did add something else new. This has been on my list for a while but didn’t want the cheapo Amazon offerings and wasn’t uncomfortable enough to spend $100+. Found these by SRC Moto. Super burly, 12mm wider and you can really feel it. Much better platform. 4A54D111-71F4-4198-8D8E-4DAA46583DB2.jpeg
    strommonster likes this.
  12. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Early morning ride after the first summer rains fell last night
    rain4.jpg
    SwampFox883R and Skellington like this.
  13. slattmattery

slattmattery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crammed 1100 miles into a 4 days awhile back. A bit more highway duty that I’d have preferred, but we had to work with the weather and make a long haul to the desert to stay dry. Scattered storms caught up to us on the final day, but overall an excellent trip!

Personal highlight was blasting across the Alvord Desert playa under a full moon at midnight, and spending an hour drifting through the brush on the eastern edge of the lakebed where the traction is poor yet predictable.

Attached Files:

dbyker, Motonirvana, koh kood and 5 others like this.
  14. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd probably change the oil, and the oil and air filters. Mileage didn't get to 600, but she's 4 years old. Either way, it won't cost you a ton, and you will get to know the bike a bit.

I would also run many many many tanks of gas through her before making any changes. You will get a ton of suggestions about suspension and gearing (among others), but it really depends on what your use is going to be. My 2019 with stock suspension and gearing took my fat arse up and over several Colorado Passes during an 8 day ADV trip. Stock suits my riding just fine.

Also, I already know that my biggest performance "mod" would be putting down my fork more! :wings
  15. 301

301 Fully Auto

Oddometer:
    For that reason alone, I haven’t taken the 250L out. To my knowledge oil never changed and fuel has the varnished smell. Have oil & filters on order. Thx

Did the San Juan MTNs in July with my son, departed out of Ouray, great fun albeit in a Jeep. Maybe next year on two wheels..
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  16. Secondcreekrider

Secondcreekrider Secondcreekrider

Oddometer:
    That is the Ohlins rear shock. Purchased from SRC Moto. I just added it this September for the trip to Colorado. And partly because the stock shock had racked up 24,000 miles (mostly forest service bdr type riding) and wasn’t doing the job anymore. Ohlins definitely did the job. I had looked for a mid- priced shock but it was too far out in the supply chain to get it in time. So thankfully SRC had this one on the shelf. Pricey but worth it for Colorado and Utahs famous rocky routes.
    CObiker123 likes this.
  17. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    My ride report is below. We stayed in many places, but did two nights in Ouray.....amazeballs riding, views, places. Can't wait to get out there again! And again...stock suspension, and gearing the entire time......

https://advrider.com/f/threads/colorado-passes-2021-newbs-first-real-adv-ride.1518593/
    nutmagnet likes this.
  18. 301

301 Fully Auto

Oddometer:
  19. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    First page bump with a fairly lame pic. Putted around a bit on Sunday.

4.jpg
    breakm likes this.
  20. breakm

breakm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WalterMitty2 likes this.