The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Exposed as what? A guy who has '74 Honda in the stable?
    ObiJohn likes this.
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    A trolling shitlord, dropping trou and spinning in a circle, blasting explosive diarrhea in all directions.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy you've got some weird fantasies. :stfu
    Davidprej likes this.
  4. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried jumping out of an airplane at altitude without a parachute, but pretty sure no reasonable person would disagree with my opinion on the risks associated with that.

There's a term for people who can only learn from their own experiences.
  5. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    I was being polite. Actually, your earlier comment didn't make a lick of sense.
  6. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    All these are highly likely to be true. The first and third are likely marginally true (not a significant difference, but there is a difference). The second is the major reason that people Darkside... to save money.

The first and third reasons also indicate what you're giving up... stability while turning. Fact: Darksiders on this thread have commented that the bike is less stable in a turn because it wanders on the edge of the tread. How stable do you think it will be if there is braking or acceleration in a turn?

Please read this carefully, as it seems to be the crux of the debate. I assert that a car tire-equipped motorcycle requires more attention when leaning significantly on turns, and is not as stable, compared to motorcycle tires. Yes, a rider can compensate. Yes, if a rider has to juggle too many things or things start going wrong, e.g., the tire hits some gravel, too fast for the turn, brakes too hard, etc., then you've added more variables into the mix. More variables = more risk. Feel free to accept that... don't assert that it doesn't exist.
  7. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    Is the rider at more risk when traveling straight, or when leaning over in a curve? Here's a reminder: mitigating risk means you consider the worst case, not the normal case. A bald tire with threads showing may be okay when going straight at low speed... would you take that same tire down a very curvy mountain road at speed?

I do agree with you that a car tire is perfectly safe when the bike is parked. Seriously, it's likely perfectly safe under most riding conditions... but at the edges it's not as safe. Hence the warnings from motorcycle and tire manufacturers not to do it.
  8. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    Okay to watch, but what can anyone objectively tell from this video besides the fact that one particular GW rider is willing to lean his beast? We never see a speedometer, we can see that the rider with the camera isn't nearly as aggressive... and isn't going that fast. We can tell that the GW rider can ride on a road with a car tire (we can't really see if he has a car tire mounted but we assume that this is true). That is all.
  9. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    So now, the only thing that counts in this discussion is one's own personal experience... but that is unreliable and easily manipulated so it doesn't count.

"Alexa, do you post on advrider.com as a bot with the alias of 'None?'"
    Davidprej likes this.
  10. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    No one is denying Darksiders' experiences. We deny some of their assertions, i.e., "no difference," "just as good or better," "if you don't ride a car tire you're skeered."
    Davidprej likes this.
  11. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will the trolls please stop clogging this thread with useless questions and ridiculous scenarios that do not even relate. Some members are actually here to share experiences and learn...not just argue and type. Please go speculate and crap on some other thread. Thank you...your maturity would be appreciated.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  12. cocheese72

cocheese72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy and then dispute.
    https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-...s-biketire-twistys-one-faster-than-other.html
  13. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a very good point. I haven't heard of it actually happening, but even though a car tire is DOT, once you get in front of a judge/jury, who knows.

Personally, I went to a run-flat car tire on my Goldwing and love it. I studied the forums for 3 years and could not find one instance of car tire failure causing harm. And I feel that run-flat is an additional safety factor vs. motorcycle tire. But your opinion is valid and I appreciate your input.
    gen1fizzy and sandsman like this.
  14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    No, that is wrong. Having been corrected about it repeatedly, continuing to regurgitate the same incorrect statement can only be called a lie.
  15. Dirty bike

Dirty bike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez, some folks need to go for a ride. Darksider threads always contain the entire mix, that's a certainty. Some have done it and at least understand the dynamics and actual reality of doing it. Some have never done it and can't imagine why anyone would, but can't just move on to another thread, so have to crap in the thread when they really have no interest. To those, you're never going to convince the people that actually do it not to, so save the wear on your keyboard. And then there are those that continue to do it, simply because it meets their needs. WTF, we can't accept that someone's needs might be different from other's and leave it alone??

Some years back I couldn't find a tire that would last 10k on my FJR since my fave, (Avon Azaro), was no longer available in the size I needed. After trying some "new and improved" tires, none of which would last for my normal endurance riding, I investigated the Darkside. Not new. Not different. Not ground breaking. Just looked again at something that's been done for decades. For me, it was about doing more riding. It was either going to be tire money or gas money and more travel. Gas money and more travel won out. I did a test fit to determine physical realities using a junk used tire in the size I wanted to run, (205/50-17). Figured out what minor mod I needed to do to allow clearance, then bought an all season tire with a 400 AA rating that had what I hoped was a fairly rounded profile. Boom, down the road I went.

Yes, it's different. Yes, it's not for everyone. I said, it's not for everyone, so let it go. It's not THAT different. Under inflated? Not just no, F**k no. I run the same pressure as any self respecting car owner would. In my case, 32 psi gave the best results for my 900+ pounds of rider, bike and gear. (Thank you to Mr Truck Scale) 40k miles to the wear bars was my normal tire life on the CT. Cornering was not an issue. I'm not Valentino Rossi, (he won't ride on the street anyway. "Too dangerous.") But more people fell off the back following me in the twisties than not. The nay sayers seem to not understand the dynamics of CTs on motorcycles. The tire is rubber. It flexes. It's designed to flex. When leaning over the tire starts changing from a round donut to an elliptical shape. As it does this, all of the tread stays in contact with the ground. At some point in the lean the tire can no longer flex... at that moment when those whom have never ridden a CT think you will feel resistance, there is none. At that point when the tire can no longer flex, two things happen simultaneously, (look it up); The tire goes back to a round donut shape and the rear end of the bike lifts up, steepening the steering angle and quickening turn in. This simultaneous effect cancels out any perceived resistance. Nothing is felt, it just works smoothly as if nothing unusual is occurring. IOW, it just works. That is the point when the outside edge of the CT lifts off the pavement. There is still more tread contact than on a moto tire at this point. Still more resistance to slippage on sand, tar snakes, wet leaves, etc. Still more braking available. All those tread blocks and sipes work, for the very same reasons they work on a CT mounted on a CAR.

Like moto tires, car tires vary. Holy cow Batman, you mean my favorite tire might not be Joe Blow's favorite tire? Yes, Boy Wonder, tastes vary. Tires vary. CTs have different feel from brand to brand and version to version just like moto tires. So just because one person tried a CT and hated it, doesn't necessarily mean they hated CTs on bike, but perhaps they chose a sucky tire. But regardless, that's OK, because ITS NOT FOR EVERYBODY. We're all adults and can make our own decisions. So sit back and read and ponder, or shake your head, but no need to try and preach doom and gloom to those that choose to follow a different path than you do.

Oh, and for That Guy that always brings up the legal or court potential issue. You're an ignorant dork. Ignorance is a correctable condition. (The dork part you're stuck with) I spoke with a few actual, real life, insurance investigators and accident investigators from major institutions. Round, black and with tread is as far as they care to look. Unless the tire was an obvious causative factor in the crash, no one cares. And while I have actually spoken first hand to two relatives of riders that died after a crash on a bike with CTs, in neither case was the CT brought into question, (nor did it have anything to do with the incident). Oh, and all bets are off if you live/ride in the EU, this is about the US. The EU have different issues and MOT to deal with. Who knows about the Canadians? I don't.

Ride. Be Happy. Don't stress about it if someone does something you think is wrong. They will either figure it out, or maybe, just maybe, they're not wrong, it's just different.
  16. phughes

phughes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    would you jump out of an airplane with a parachute designed to slow down a top fuel dragster?
  17. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    By all means give it a try. Or perhaps gathering your thoughts up to type one cogent post instead of monopolizing a page with successive posts full of scatterbrained twaddle.
  18. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Will I still need to counter-steer with car tires.:photog
    anotherguy likes this.
  19. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    I am only willing to jump out of an airplane with a purpose-designed parachute and only then if the alternative is sure death because the airplane is going down... maybe. I'm no Ethan Hunt, but then again there is no Ethan Hunt in real life.

There's a saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence... just because something works doesn't mean it's a good idea. I don't care if you ride on a car tire. I'd ride on one, gingerly, until I could get to somewhere that I could replace it with a motorcycle tire. YMMV.
    gen1fizzy likes this.
  20. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez...I'm so glad I know that about you. PLEASE be mature and stop posting useless crap.
    phughes likes this.