The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No sir, read it again.
  2. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may have been that tire. It was the dark side thread on BMWLT Forum and I used the popular tire a lot of the guys recommended.

I also swapped my front and rear TPS readings as the PSI I ran on the rear would sound the set fault point for PSI. So I swapped the numbers for TPS front and rear so I had to remember front was rear pressure, and rear was front pressure.

It is not for everyone and not everyone is for it. It works, I know that for a fact. I just am not going to yell the sky is falling or your hair is going to catch fire. You have choices and if I was racking up miles it would be a thought, but I think the GS would look pretty funny, but I bet I could find a M&S for it?
  3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    The only darksiders I know do it because of failures of MC tires due to weight. A large touring bike ridden 2-up will, often, be over the rear tire's weight capacity. (Goldwings, in particular-they're rear-heavy even solo.)
  4. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Operator error. :lol3
  5. glory racing

Oddometer:
    I went to a CT because of curiosity and I ride a sport touring machine 2up on chip sealed AR roads and only get around 1000 miles per rear tire. That was getting old. The CT's cost about half and last 2 to 3 times as long.
    20161005_105104 (2018_04_19 15_36_38 UTC).jpg
    Jbrjbr21, davidji and CROSSBOLT like this.
  6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Note that a Wing only has about 400lbs of weight capacity.
  7. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the tire capacity of the ones recommended for the Wing, have a capacity of 539, over the wet bike weight. Still, I see monsters on Wings all the time, so I understand what you are saying. Still, with the horribly overloaded Wings I see, you still don't see catastrophic tire failures due to weight. I have not seen one. Not to say it cannot happen, or hasn't, but in all my years around Wings, and being affiliated with GWRRA in the past, I never saw or heard of one. Tire pressure, and maintaining the tires, replacing them when necessary is important.

I have seen people run car tires on their Wings, and the universe didn't implode. Their choice. I'm not their mommy.
    CROSSBOLT and Davidprej like this.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    My stack is smaller
    100487101_292959358386595_9178579517982113792_n.jpg

May last the year if big daddy navy ever un-grounds me.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  9. glory racing

Oddometer:
    In the closet with riding gear n stuff....Nice!
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    20200524_220423.jpg

Behind all of the suites is 6 guitars, mold prevention, its seriously damp here and the Japanese don't do central air.
  11. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I've gotten a few flats ont he darkside. And i didn't carry a patch kit with me one time, i was suprised that i could ride the tire home with it flat. The tire itself was pretty thick and held it together, and when i got home i noticed nothing much other than the flat. I have had similar experiences with moto tires, and i would not be able to ride that distance home on a flat. I don't recommended riding anything on a flat, but sometimes it has to be done.
    davidji likes this.
  12. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    On the V-Strom in that video? What tire was it?

Don't tell anyone, but I've ridden 8 miles on a dead flat rear motorcycle tire on a bike in a similar weight class. Handling was OK at freeway speed, but typical flat tire handling when going slow.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride flat is all about sidewall rigidly. Some tires have it, some don’t.
    Davidprej and Clampett like this.
  14. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Yes it was on the vstrom. And it held up really well riding across the u.s. on the tat too, didn't get flats either. There is so much hate for the darkside, but the important thing is just to go out and ride. The darkside lets me ride longer than a moto tire.
    Clampett, Davidprej and CROSSBOLT like this.
  15. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was goldwing talk, here's my notepad math on why my next tire will be a car tire. Just bought the bike a few days ago.

The old 1800 wing carries 55% of its weight on the rear tire according to google. Assuming the new 1800 is the same that's 458 lbs on the rear tire empty.

half of my weight, plus all of my wife since she's directly over the tire, plus 50lbs for luggage, equals 808lbs.

The wing saddlebags are surprisingly small. There's less room than what's on my Triumph Tiger even. So to camp 2 up on a 3+ day trip you need either a trailer or a hitch carrier.

[​IMG]
    Jarlaxle, Davidprej and Luckycharms like this.
  16. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you give us the brand and specs on the CT you put on the Strom? Tks,
  17. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Clampett and Davidprej like this.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez, where's all the cheap shot posts since the last time I was here? I came for some entertainment... :(
    randyo likes this.
  19. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    either the car tire guys exploded in a ball of fire after hitting a bus load of nuns, or the MC tire people are too busy changing tires to post.

:hide
    glory racing and Clampett like this.
  20. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still here dark siding away on my Wing. I subscribed to this thread for comic relief. You know the old saying " Opinions are like assholes. everyone has one". Except in this thread where some people actually are one.:imaposer