The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. cocheese72

cocheese72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fresh back from the mountains. Another tire worn out. Only close call was a car coming into my lane (not the tires fault). Swerved without incident. Not dead yet.

upload_2020-6-23_11-12-53.png
    Cat0020 likes this.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jules, bummer about the cancellation of the dual sport ride. My knee is a wreck so I'd have missed it anyway. Rehab after a February operation hasn't worked out as it should, having tendon issues around the knee cap. I'm hoping to get out on the road again soon.
    jules083 likes this.
  3. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve pretty much written off this summer for everything except riding to work and back. I figure anything I get to do is just a bonus.

Good luck with the knee.
    Treadless likes this.
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles did you get out of it?
  5. cocheese72

Oddometer:
    This tire is only at 14k at the moment. Worn more so in the middle, too much air. It is a run flat and they have lower tread wear ratings. It has a 560 vs a 740 tread wear in a non run flat. I am going to run a Dunlop Elite 4 next to see how it does.
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best post in this entire thread.
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Real darksiders use a studded snow tire. It's call darkestsiding.
  8. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    Meh, try one of these. :lol3

1077169C-7247-41A9-AD75-5BC6A51386C2.jpeg
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    Throw some sparks!
  10. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told there would be no math
    :D
    phughes likes this.
  11. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s why I did the math for you and even showed my work!
    Patch likes this.
  12. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    my next tire will be a studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta, my last was an unstudded General Altimax Arctic. with studded Karoo block knobby in front
  13. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    But what will you do during the 2 weeks you don't have ice and snow up there?

Oh - maintenance
    :lol3
    jules083 and sleazy rider like this.
  14. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have conventional motorcycle tires mounted on a spare set of wheels.
  15. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Double dark side question....
    I'm building a trike, and I've heard people put rear tires on the front wheel with the rotation reversed. Supposed to get better tread life out of it that way, and supposed to be able to support more weight. (Trike will have a Ford v6 motor, so better spring/tire is a must) Any truth to that? Any truth to the put it on with the rotation reversed part? Would it make any sense to use a car tire up front? I'm guessing that would make it much more difficult to steer and wouldn't have any real benefit.
  16. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, about MC tire rotation direction on double darkside:

There are differing opinions as to which rotation direction to mount the rear tire up front.
    I had mine mounted in the normal direction as the tread is designed to evacuate water
    best in forward rotation. When mounted on the rear of a bike, there are also forces acting
    on that rear tire in braking which is in the opposite direction of forces from acceleration.
    The front mostly takes braking force almost exclusively in the forward direction and just
    freewheels otherwise. So IMO, it really doesn't seem like much of an issue as to which
    direction it is mounted. Except, as I said that the tire is designed to best evacuate water
    in the forward direction.

So, on the much larger, heavier bikes, mounting a rear tire up front in reverse rotation
    makes sense to some of those riders. Then there are others who mount it in normal
    forward rotation for many of the same reasons I did.

Being able to support more weight... Yes probably, but not because of reverse rotation,
    but rather because it is a larger tire designed to carry more weight. MC front tires seem
    to last longer because as I said before, they mostly just freewheel and take some force
    when front brakes are applied; which I might guess is less than the weight and force a
    rear tire gets with acceleration. (but I could be wrong about that... on that I don't know
    for sure)

A car tire on front? I wonder if one could find one to fit. Even if that was possible, I would
    tend to agree that the steering would likely feel much heavier. (harder to turn so would
    need more steering force applied) I think the jury is still out on whether a car tire used up
    front will last much longer than a MC tire (whether it is a front or rear MC tire) My best
    guess would be that it would last longer, but would really need to hear the experience of
    some people that had actually done that.

That being said, there was a guy with a Piaggio MP3 3 wheel tilting scooter that had at
    one point used car tires on all 3 wheels. As I recall, the steering took more work to make
    it turn, but was otherwise not a problem for him.
    Cat0020 likes this.
  17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    FWIW...every dual-position tire I have seen is DESIGNED to be reversed on the front wheel.
    AZbiker likes this.
  18. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    What are "dual-position tires"?
    Davidprej likes this.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    One marked by the manufacturer showing direction of rotation for a front wheel mount and direction of rotation for a rear tire. They are always opposite, since the rear is working to not spin on wet surfaces when either accelerating or at a constant forward speed, forces working to turn the tire, channeling water away. Front tires are essentially working the opposite direction and definitely so under braking, which should still be done with the front brake doing the most work, not the rear. Thus the reason "dual position" or "bi-directional" tires show opposite direction of rotation.
    AZbiker and Jarlaxle like this.
  20. cocheese72

Oddometer:
    If you compare a rear tread vs front tire it is reversed. So if you flip the rear, it will match what a typical front tire looks like. Avon recommends flipping as well.

upload_2020-7-10_21-13-46.png
    Davidprej likes this.