The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting,
    I've used dual position motorcycle tires, Sidecar specific car profile tires, and car tires on my Ural, and have never seen any if them marked for more than one direction for rotation. I've also never had anyone recommend mounting a tire reversed on the front of a vehicle except for AWD tractors, and construction equipment.
    Perhaps with the asymmetrical tread pattern of contemporary motorcycle tires its worth considering. All that I've used on my Ural were classic patterns that are symmetrical, and present the same pattern in either direction. I think in the OPs situation of using a car tire on the front, I would stick with the manufacturers recommended rotation.
    phughes likes this.
  2. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bazillion years ago, a motorcycle magazine did a nice article about running a rear tire up front. Even got specific instructions on it from two manufacturers. Who explained exactly opposite reasons to each other. One saying reverse rotation, the other saying not to. All having to do with water ejection.

The tire carcass couldn’t care less, as far as I know. There is some thought still that a radial carcass, after extended use in one direction, should not be reversed. Be it in simple rotation or applied forces. But that’s long been shown to actually not be an issue. The plies simply don’t delaminate from this.

Personally, I want the tread V, if there is one, to enter the water on the road center first, splaying outwards as the tire rotated. Every water plate study I’ve seen of tires and how they work with water shows this to work better than reversing the contact.

As for a car tire up front, that was common for a lot of decades. It works. Nuns and kittens survived. With a trike, I think you’ve a very valid reason to give it a try. The tire forces would be very car like. If you do try a car tire up front, I hope you post back on what you found.
    Treadless likes this.
  3. tom c

tom c Teflon Tommy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure this guy has run through a few car tires..... :)
    [​IMG]
    Davidprej and Cat0020 like this.
  4. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He needs one up front now too.
  5. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lesson - Hoarding and motorcycling don't mix?
  6. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Or, if she kicks you out, you can live on a motorcycle.
    Davidprej likes this.
  7. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Yep the front tire of a motorcycle mounted in the correct direction should have the V of the tread pattern inverted. It seems this would push water and debris inward except that when a bike is in a turn and leaning it is actually ejecting it out, toward the outside of the turn.
  8. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Needs some good counselling too. Isn't that the dude who uses a seat belt? :norton
  9. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see seat belts hanging in the pic. Surely he doesn't strap to the bike. Gotta be to allow more stuff to be attached to the bike, other than himself.
  10. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:
    Looks like he has more stuff on the bike since I last met him a few years ago. Yes, he wears the seat belt :confused
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    But he is riding, so I approve.
    anotherguy likes this.
  12. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would at least ditch the rolling AIRPORT luggage and get duffels to hold whatever is in those. Sheesh that looks like a disaster in the making. His forks and monoshock are done for.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m sure the handling of that bike is...interesting. Regardless of what tires he’s running! :lol3:lol3
    Davidprej likes this.
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Not mounted on a motorcycle, but interesting view:

Treadless and phughes like this.
  15. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait... you put a car tire on your Ural? Tell me more.
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are some vintage car tires that will work, such as Excelsior.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I found they're not as good as specialty sidecar tires such as the Hiedenau K28, Avon triple duty, and Metzler block K..
    phughes likes this.
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:

I’d hoped he would do more turns. I was curious to observe side deflections. Ah well. Perhaps someone else will do it.

did find the minute center bulging over the ground contact point interesting.
  18. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I sort of figured you had gone vintage, but I still held out hope for some miracle discovery. :lol3