The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:

This is signature material, you cannot duplicate this illogic easily:deal
  2. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Musta struck a nerve or sumthing.:eek1:lol3
  3. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Well XtreemLEE,

I am sure glad you chimed into this thread.Your facts about car tires sold me.:lol3

:loco
  4. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. blahwas

blahwas flow control

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine CTs on MCs work well, but I won't say "no" if someone offers me to try his ride with a rear CT.
  6. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    fancy graphic of contact patch

why not a graphic showing showing a car tire at lean angles ? afraid that it may show a larger contact patch than a bike tire at any lean angle
    sloryder likes this.
  7. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Dunlop Winter Sport snow tire in Colorado -

[​IMG]
    blacktruck likes this.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't fix stupid. :1drink
  9. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Lengthy Member

Oddometer:
    Seems like a car tire is still kicking a motorcycle tire's ass in terms of contact patch in the curves:

[​IMG]
  10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Looks like car tires start to run on the sidewall at 30deg lean angle. That can't be good.

--Bill
    11motos likes this.
  11. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    would also be nice to have similar scales on the graphic
  12. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And where´s that from - some net user´s vivid imagination perhaps..? :rofl

IF it happens to be correct, which I´m not 100% convinced of, then a certain kind of tyre seems to offer a much more consistent shape of contact patch for rapid left-right-left-right changes, that correspond to riding the more twisty stretches of the road.
  13. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Who wants a Miata ride?!

Oddometer:
  14. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    And who pee'd in your cornflakes this morning? :deal

--Bill
  15. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing V Stroms, 'Wings, and cruisers don't get to 30-45 degrees very often????

Point is, we can all post up pics of immaginary drawings. They are not real pics and even if up placed a bike with a rider on a piece of lexan and took pics from under, it still wouldn't represent what's happening in real life due to cornering forces. Anyone that has run a CT on a bike that most often is of the type that a CT is mounted up on,,,, knows the CT never gets up on the side walls due to lean angle limitations and tire deflection. I've seen many, many CTs mounted on the back of many different bikes and I have run one myself and again, never have I seen a CT with wear on the side walls and I've seen some pretty fast riders riding on the CTs.

Look I don't really know where that pic comes from but in the real world, you don't put a CT on a Gixxer. The people that are running CTs are running them on touring bikes and cruisers, maybe an Adv or Sport Touring bike here and there. I can tell you from real world experience, the CT I had on my DL650, at the pressures I ran never got on the side wall at all.

Now before some might assume I'm holding up Winnebegos and Amish buggies in the mountains, understand that my DL650 has more cornering clearance than most DLs as I have raised it 1.5-2 inches and the foot peg height is at least an inch higher and they are shorter than OEM DL650 pegs. I also have stiffer springs and better damping than an OEM DL650. All those things add up and my DL has more cornering clearance than most DLs and even so, I regularly tick the pegs when playing in the twisties. Even while running a Shinko 705 up front at around 30psi and a CT out back at around 22-25psi.

The CT I ran, at the pressures I ran,, definatly had more traction on tarmac while riding straight up or when leaned over, dry or pouring rain, heat of summer or with temps in the teens than the MT I would normally run {ME880s, Tourances, 705s, Big Blocks or TKCs}. It did so while delivering much better wear. Trade off was slightly worse handling at the extreme edges of the envelope and significanly worse handling in rough, off tarmac terrain.

That is my real world experience. Many others have the exact same experience. I and others have no reason to lie. Especially with the asshats on here that have absolutely no experience running a CT ridiculing others for simply sharing their experience and opinions.

Really, just how much more lean angle do you need on a touring/adv/ST or cruiser?:scratch
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, he does have a point. Dude started a new thread just to stir a stick and beat the same ole horse.

But, I'm posting away too so what the hell ehh?:1drink:lol3
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I ran a CT on a 06 FLH.
    just a shade under 19k
    No special wheel mods needed. We just put it on and blew it up.

No, I didn't burst into flames or crash horribly.

If you don't like it don't run it.
    I can say it did work for me and my style.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Da Monk
    1oldsickle and Alexander B like this.
  18. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles have gotten heavy and more powerful than ever. Tires wear out fast. Amateur researchers are getting good results. Is there any evidence of real life loss of control with cts? I haven't seen any. This issue keeps popping up, but I don't see any accounts of bad results. Anyone out there who has tried it and had a bad experience?
    round_i likes this.
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I ride one of the heaviest and have found that they don't wear out fast, 50,000 miles is the most I've gotten out of any MC tire and it was on the heaviest motorcycle I've ever owned.

That YellowGoober claims to wear out his "cornering tread" and never the center. This isn't because he's such a legendary cornering genius, it's because it'd take 80 psi to get the center tread to even touch the ground.
  20. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you tell us more? I followed a thread comparing motorcycles to pickup trucks for overall economy and the motorcycles were consistent losers because of the tires.
    round_i likes this.