The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

If you are referring to Yellow Wolf, his 'Wing and his CT,,,,, ya talkin outta yer ass ole boy.:lol3
  2. racer23

racer23 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm more of a lurker and rarely post but I really think a car tire on the back of a Goldwing is a necessity. A Wing fully loaded and 2-up is heavy, add a trailer and the rear tire is working pretty hard. I just got back from a trip out west where speeds of 85 to 90 are common. The stopping power of a car tire is impressive as well. I guess I just feel better with a ct on the back.
  3. squirrelnator

squirrelnator Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a CT on a Honda ST1300. Works great for me.

Since I have actually done it, I feel comfortable in commenting on the fact that it works well and has been safe for over 20,000 miles. It does not look like it should work but surely does. :D
    Alexander B likes this.
  4. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you just had to jump in here and prove how fricking stupid you are didn't you...:rofl
  5. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Actually, if you've "machined" a Passenger Rim properly onto your motorcycle hub --- you just may get away with it.

That's the deal: you turn a Phillips Head screw with a Phillips Driver Tip . . . and not a Pozi-drive or a Flat Blade.

In like fashion; mount a Passenger Tyre onto a Passenger Rim. So, if the desire is to run a Passenger Tyre on the rear of a motorcycle ----- please employ the kind of rim designed for that tyre.

Don't believe me?

Refer to TISB Vol. 28:
    [​IMG]

Now, if you employ the correct rims - not only can you use Passenger Tyres, but you can even use Tractor Tyres.

[​IMG]
    Match up the correct rims to the tyres designed to be mounted on those rims . . . . don't just do a band-aid job.
    ETZ likes this.
  6. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

And where are these wheels that you have machined up?

Or did you just read something on the Internet?
  7. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Your initial question is puzzling. Maybe you'd like to ask me about my reasons for launching a space shuttle vertical rather than on-top of a railed-boggie as in the movie; " When Worlds Collide "?

No, I didn't just (as you put it) "read something on the Internet". Between 1973 and 1995 I worked in the Motor Vehicle Tyre industry. When I joined that trade CrossPly & Biasbelted Passenger tyres were still the stock in trade, and Fabric Construction Radial tyres were just entering stock in amounts to make a difference.

I learned to mount tyres and balance them. There are Wrong Ways and Right Ways. I still have all my fingers.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There is an aspect of human thinking which leads them to prioritize their thinking to ignore anything that does not suit their desires. Have a look at "Confirmation bias".

One can easily call to mind the average committed darksider - - when reading that last paragraph.

As I said- want to ride on a Passenger Tyre?
    Then fit up a Rim that was designed for it.

1024 x 768 pixel image of Passenger Tyre section placed on a section of Motorcycle Rim.

Notice the concave curve running from the corner of the bead to a corner where the sidewall begins? That Curve is designed to mate-up with the Inner Rim on a Passenger Wheel. See how it does not conform to the shorter Vertical Rim Section on the Motorcycle Rim.

800 x 911 pixel image of Passenger Rim on rear hub of BMW.

And then there is the 40psi mounting limit. Any instruction manual, or bulletin, will advise one to employ no more than 40psi during tyre mounting. Over and over I note how Darksiders boast how they employed "past-limit air-pressure" to FORCE that Passenger Tyre onto a Rim not designed for it.
    ETZ likes this.
  8. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    TL;dr
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    What's your point?
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    You are using common sense,facts,experience, in the wrong thread. Putting a car tire on a bike rim makes the same amount of sense as putting a bike tire on a car rim,they arent in any way made to fit properly.
    ETZ and round_i like this.
  11. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:

So... do you still have the risk of losing inflation pressure due to a broken bead when running an inner tube?
  12. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean on a tubeless wheel/tyre, and to prevent losing inflation pressure due to a broken bead?
  13. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a shit load of CTs that have maximum pressures above 40psi. If I remember right, the CT I ran was rated at it's max. load at up around what, 50psi I think. Do you mean to tell me that those tires can't be run at their maximum pressures because "Any instruction manual, or bulletin, will advise one to employ no more than 40psi during tyre mounting."???? :huh

I have had CTs mounted correctly on car rims that required more that 40psi to pop their beads, yes,,,, even when installed correctly.

I have had MTs mounted correctly on motorcycle rims that required more than 40psi to pop the beads. Again, even when installed correctly.

My particular CT mounted on my particular motorcycle rim popped up on the beads fairly easily. I've had MTs that were easier to pop up on the beads and some that were harder. Nothing special to note here ehh?

I purposely tested my particular CT mounted on my particular motorcycle rim at extremely low inflation levels and even completely deflated to test the ability of the this combination's ability to keep the beads seated. Result of my testing? Unbelievably,,, much to the chagrin of "know it all" asshats the world over,,,, the damned beads didn't come off. Imagine that.

If a person did have a hard time getting the CT to pop up over the motorcycle rim's bead,,,, I'm betting that tire's beads wouldn't be too likely to have it's tire bead pop off catastrophically resulting in an instant and dangerous deflation. What do you think? Never mind.:nah

But wait, there's more-:D

There are MTs that have maximum pressures exceeding 40psi.

So,,, I can't go over 40psi to "seat the bead" on my Shinko 705 that have a max. rating of 41-42psi because "Any instruction manual, or bulletin, will advise one to employ no more than 40psi during tyre mounting." ??????

There are CTs that have maximum pressures well exceeding 40psi.

So,,, I can't go over 40psi to "seat the bead" on my Goodyear Eagles that have a max. rating of 52psi because of the "Any instruction manual, or bulletin, will advise one to employ no more than 40psi during tyre mounting." BS??????

So that statement of your's- "Any instruction manual, or bulletin, will advise one to employ no more than 40psi during tyre mounting." really doesn't amount to a hill of beans right???? It's just generalized BS spouted out on the fly in an effort to make the "other side" look bad.

Suffice to say, your "Any instruction manual, or bulletin, will advise one to employ no more than 40psi during tyre mounting." statement isn't worth two shits, least IMO. You have yours, I have mine. My opinion is based on experience with the actual topic at hand. Have you actually had any real world experience with mounting a CT of a bike and testing it? I'll go out on a limb here and hazard a big guess,, that would be a no?

According to you and people like you, we should all be bursting our beads and crashing willy nilly all over the damned place. Holy shit on a stick dude, give the made up and theoretical pontification BS a rest. It works, it has been proven to work time and time again. It might not be for everyone and every bike but again, in the vast majority of cases, it works acceptably if not great for it's intended use.:fpalm

So, you were employed in the "Motor Vehicle Tyre Industry" for 25yrs ehh? What ever..........:csm

So much for bringing common sense, facts, experience into this thread. Foot Dragger really 'preciates it a lot.:lol3:1drink
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

That you are fricking stupid and you proved it? I thought he made it completely clear??:dunno:lol3
  15. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    so...... did we find out yet, who's stupid or not??

(No hurry, its great entertainment!)

:lol3
  16. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    Well I was thinking about people who have bikes with spoked wheels, who are running CT's, and are using an innertube. The "TISB Vol 28" that I screwed up when trying to quote said specifically that there "may" be problems with bead separation and losing inflation pressure. This seems like it would be a non-issue with an innertube.

And just to pick more holes in this, If you're having to use higher pressures to seat the bead compared to that of a m/c tire, it's because the circumference of the bead is slightly smaller - which would make it less likely to separate (Why does that word never look like it's spelled right?) from the rim compared to the M/C tire.

Still waiting to hear from someone who has actually run a ct on their bike, who has had a failure. :deal
    round_i likes this.
  17. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some posted up earlier in the thread that they had an issue but quantified it by saying the rim was bent in the bead area.

As I said, people keep bringing that up but as you say,,,,, I haven't seen it to be an issue and I have experience with it {testing it down to 0psi}. I know several other people pretty well that have tried a CT and had no issues with it and every time I see someone running a CT I make it a point to ask if they had any issues,,,,,,, never once this issue. They might have had issues, but it didn't have a thing to do with the "improper fit between the car tire's bead and the motorcycle rim".

Again, not once have I heard anyone that has run a CT have bead issues on a rim that wasn't damaged. The guy that chimed in here earlier was the first one I've heard of and again, he stated the rim's bead area had been bent.

When I hit a large branch on my DL and bent my front rim, the bead separated at the bent area and instantly deflated,,, and it was a motorcycle tire. Does that mean that running a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle rim is dangerous????:eek1:lol3
  18. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was fun. 47 mile ATV trail on the Vision last Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey man, did the beads on your CT fly off your completely incompatible motorcycle rim? Did it instantly deflate and cause you to crash into a bus filled with nuns and kittens???:cry

If not, be careful,,,,, it's only a matter of time!!! :eek1:lol3
    round_i likes this.
  20. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Well, speaking from experience........my experience. The Tail of the Dragon was a blast on a car tire. I didn't lose any grip nor did I go flying off into oblivion either. In fact I never bothered to think twice about carving the corners, or running down the highway at speeds that would have put me in jail. For those who like to cry about the "dangerous" killer tires, where is your experience? Not a single one of you has any experience and yet where is the data, the wrecks, the broken bodies? There is none. This is my 2 cents, now back to the regularly scheduled program.

:rilla