The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Well, speaking from experience........my experience. The Tail of the Dragon was a blast on a car tire. I didn't lose any grip nor did I go flying off into oblivion either. In fact I never bothered to think twice about carving the corners, or running down the highway at speeds that would have put me in jail. For those who like to cry about the "dangerous" killer tires, where is your experience? Not a single one of you has any experience and yet where is the data, the wrecks, the broken bodies? There is none. This is my 2 cents, now back to the regularly scheduled program.

:rilla
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

:freaky

It's stupid to put a car tire on a Goldwing when a motorcycle tire will go 50,000 miles and that's all I know about that. :deal
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All this concern over what tires others put on their motorcycles is heart warming. Really. :D
  4. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I want to know what kind of mc tire he got that will go 50,000 miles, I think he has been smoking the left handed cigarettes.

:norton

I'll call this guys bluff, give us the brand, size and what you put this super tire on.:deal
  5. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    I want to see which motorcycle tire will go 50,000 miles on ANY bike. Especially a heavy and reasonably powerful machine like a 'Wing. I get 3500 miles or so from the back tires on my DR650, no matter what brand of M/C tire I put on it. Car tires aren't an option for it.

My intruder, on the other hand... a ct works great on it. It will go around a corner fast enough to drag hard parts of the bike and not lose grip. I don't see what I've lost in traction by running a car tire, since it would corner the same with a m/c tire.

Only failure we can find is with a bent rim? Um, car tires will not work with a bent CAR rim, and motorcycle tires won't work with a bent motorcycle rim, so.... I'm thinking that hasn't got anything to do with it.
    Meriwether likes this.
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    " My intruder, on the other hand... a ct works great on it. It will go around a corner fast enough to drag hard parts of the bike and not lose grip. I don't see what I've lost in traction by running a car tire, since it would corner the same with a m/c tire "

it really doesn't take a lot of work, to drag parts on an Intruder. BTW, it's all relative, but they don't go very fast around corners, they're too long, too heavy for that, and as already mentioned, lack cornering clearance. Yeah i know they're not even meant to go fast.
  7. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    I know.

My point was, I haven't negatively impacted the handling of my bike. It corners as well (badly) as it did before with the lack of clearance, the front wheel way out there, etc etc. :rofl
  8. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Tinker, I don't know about you, but I can usher my big ole Intruder around a corner pretty decently. :evil
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I'm looking out for myself, ever follow a darksider wobbling down the road?

I don't bluff princess, Dunlop American Elite 180/65-16 on a 2012 'wing. Should have saved the last one for stupid threads like this, this one should be done around the first of March, but it might go 60,000 miles since it started with a continuous balancer and the last one was on its own.
  10. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I would like to see it.......I'll flat out tell you that I don't think it is possible that a mc tire will go 50,000 unless you have the bike on a trailer. No one is twisting your arm to go darkside, so why don't you just give it up dude. I like my darksiding, works for me, and I will continue to darkside on my next bike as soon at the mc tire wears out, and it will be a 1800 Wing. Better check your pants, I think they may be on fire.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Why don't you just call me a liar, you little twit. No one is twisting your arm to be smart, continue running car tires on a motorcycle like an idiot. :fyyff
  12. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Never say never and never flat out dispute something unless you know for sure. I'm willing to give LeisureSuiteLarry a pass on his 50K mile rear tire simply because "I don't know for sure" since I'm not there to witness it. Maybe LeisureSuiteLarry rides uber smoothly. Maybe he rides slow as hell? Maybe he rides on sand and the tire never gets hot nor is sujected to alot of rough pavement? Maybe that's a new tire that does return wonderful mileage {I have been hearing great things of the new Mich Commander},,,,, and maybe, juss maybe he is streatching the bubble gum a bit????:dunno

Point is, I don't know as I'm not there to witness and unlike LeisureSuiteLarry and the rest of the "Sky is Falling" Chicken Little Asshats,,,, I don't make shit up as I go, I don't talk ouutta my ass on shit I have zero first hand knowledge of and unless you have actually mounted up a CT on a bike and rode it, you ain't got first hand knowledge of it. I don't give two shits about your education or your postion of 25yrs in some "Tyre" industry either. :wink::1drink
  13. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

So why are asshats flaming people like him when he decides to run a CT on a bike that he admitedly, know has very low limits due to lean angle constraints? Why do you feel the need to tell him that,,, he knows it, we all know it???? He didn't say he was cornering with Gixxers or anything. He is in fact using a CT in an application that is damned near pefect for a CT yet people will chime in telling him the beads will fly off and it has less traction than any MT out there. :huh:confused

Again and for the umptenth time folks, no one is telling anyone that a CT is great in all applications. No one is telling others that they should be running a CT. Yet the asshat checken littles keep acting like were are saying a CT on the back of a 'Wing could run down Rossi on a MotoGP bike. :fpalm
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you don't like being called a liar by someone that's not there to witness said event but you have no issues calling anyone that has even tried a CT on a bike an idiot, stupid,,,, or that we are lying about our real world experiences. :asshat
  15. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    stupid + lying = stupid liar
  16. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:

On my 1995 Concours, I ran Avon Elan II front/rear. They were sized to fit the GL1500 but would just fit a Concours rim. They had over 25,000 miles on them when I sold that bike... Probably would have went 50k.

For comparison, on my C14, I have gotten over 20k out of fronts and 18k out of rears..And those were Michelin PRx.
  17. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bs.
    i run the same tire on my 08 wing and know many others that do the same.
    run over to the gl1800 forum and try posting your crap.
    highest mileage posted there on that tire would be around 18k.

you are talking out of your ass.
    sad part is we all know it and have told you but you can't man up.
  18. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Poor old Larryboy got butt hurt.......get over it dude, I have never seen a mc tire go 50,000 miles and nobody else has either, what magic are you useing?
    :lol3
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

This would be the fist I have heard of a motorcycle tire making it 50,000 miles. I've been riding since 1987. I'm happy to get 10,000 out of a rear tire, and that would be a perfect world scenario.
  20. outrunner

outrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As we would say in the UK, fucking bollocks! I have been riding bikes for 51 years and the best I have seen from a rear tyre is 8400 miles. :deal
    Some people may get a few more miles, but 50,0000..............?:nono

Andy.
    Runwithscissors likes this.