The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are plenty of V-stroms running car tires is it don't slow them down in the twisties
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    as a motorcycle tire, we are not comparing tractor or wheel barrow tires
  3. yellow_wolf

yellow_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:

lets be clear I did say I would not run a car tire on anything more sporty than a wing,i never said it would not work as it depends on how you ride it,heck you could put one on a sport bike and as long as you don't lean it over it will work fine,lol
  4. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Newer Goldwings are pretty damn sporty, they aren't your grandpaws Goldwing, if you are dragging hard parts on a wing, it's laid way over.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  5. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is what I understand, once you take all that plastic away and measure the geometry, its closer to a full on sportbike than it is a sport tourer

on my v-strom, I feel more confident with a car tire when I'm leaned over enuf to scrape hard parts than I do with any of the bike tires I run, when I'm floggin it in the twisties, my limitation always has and always will be my front tire

I have gone thru the thought process of double darkside, putting a rear motorcycle tire in the front, but on my V-strom would require converting my 19" to a 17", now that involves brakes, too much effort, and I rather stick with 19" because of my off road riding and not loose ground clearance or get a longer fork
  6. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Roughly as well as what most folks would be running on a DL650, which for me are tires like TKCs, Bigb Blocks, Tourances, 705s and Trail Wings. I have run a MEE880 and absolutely hated it it and will say right now, the CT I ran was worlds better than the ME880.

The CT had more traction on tarmac than all the above. Handling? Well, I admit, at the very top of the handling envelope the CT did handle slightly worse due to it just being a bit dull/vague feeling which is understandable. Sorta like going up in aspect ratio or running too wide a tire for a given wheel width. Under normal and honesty,, most riding, even spirited riding it's not noticable. Only when you are really hauling does it become noticable. For me and my very modded DL650, it fast enough to leave the vast majority of rider on like bikes and fast enough to be dragging the pegs on a DL650 that has considerably more cornering clearance than a stock DL. That's with a 705 up front which was the limiting factor as it becomes very vague at that point. Pop a Trail Wing or a new Pilot Road up front and I would dragging them hard.
  7. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    imho, the CT on my v-strom does not handle different cause it's a car tire, it handles different cause its a 205 instead of a 150,

not much different than say putting a 180 on the SV650 that normally uses a 160
  8. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I will add that the added mass of the CT does effect handling at the very high end, especially on wash board. Smooth stuff, no biggie.

But for the chicken littles that like to pick apart anything you say, please understand these negative traits really only become noticeable when one is really hauling ass. Most folks that regularly run corners at this sorta pace wouldn't be running TKCs or 705s, they would be on Pilot Roads or the like.

As I said, my DL is lifted and I have better cornering clearance than most of the DL650s out there and it only becomes an issue when you are going fast enough to start dragging the pegs. A fairly fast rider on a stock DL may or may not ever get to this lean angle. The vast majority of DL650 riders I've met are running average to middling cornering speeds and the rider wouldn't notice a lot of negatives other than slightly reduced acceleration from the greater weight, some very low speed negatives {think parking lot speeds or less} and for the very small minority of DL650 that actually play a lot on rougher off tarmac. Most off tarmac stuff like gravel roads, the CT is better than 705s/Tourances, ect.}.
  9. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started using a Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire on my Victory Vision in 2012.

I was planning a ride and needed a tire that would last more than 11,000 miles and would work well on interstate, two-lane mountain roads, 100's of miles of gravel, rain and mud.

The Winter Sport worked so well it became my tire of choice.

Wisconsin to Key West, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK and back to Wisconsin. 11,197 miles, 16 days -

[​IMG]
    Hi-De-Ho and Jarlaxle like this.
  10. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the sky catch fire and fall?

Were kittens maimed??

Did nuns die???
  11. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I took the opportunity to ride a friend's dark-sided DL1000 yesterday; not far, but through as wide a variety of speed and turn situations as I could assemble on a short route. My impression was that the handling felt different than any other bike I've ridden (although I have not ridden a stock DL1000), but the handling was well within the boundaries of safety. To me, it felt like the bike had a wide, flattish, slightly heavy tire on the rear, better in some ways, worse in others. Doh.

Anti-Dark Siders should take a chill pill and step away from their computers. People have been running CTs on motorcycles for a long time-- more than twenty years. It's only that the practice has been aired on the Internet that has resulted in controversy.

Personally, I'm not planning to run a CT at present, but it's an option I'd absolutely consider if I decided to pull a camping trailer or if I left on a ride to Alaska or around the world.

A couple of questions/thoughts: Does the iron Butt allow CTs? has anyone ever organized a MT vs CT track day?
  12. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    " MT vs CT track day? "

youre killing me :rofl

hey the track could be an oval, 4000 miles per lap!
  14. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. I have competed 13 IBA rides on my Victory Vision, 11 were done with the Dunlop Winter Sport.
    I did this ride last year. A one week, 4321 mile trip with a stop at Mount Evans, Death Valley and Pikes Peak. The trip included 4 IBA rides.

:deal - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899747

Route -

[​IMG]
  15. i_isntreal

i_isntreal Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Your not the Fireblade rider who didn't learn his lesson getting pantsed off the line three times by that rat bike are you?

I'm not saying any CT shod bike would win, but I do think such a track day would stop all the doubting drivel.

I haven't tried a CT myself, but I will take a drive if I ever have the opportunity and then pass judgement.
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    A car tire is not practical for a sport bike even though its cornering traction is probably as good as a motorcycle sportbike tire and can maintain similar speeds thru corners

where the car tire becomes impractical is rotating mass, you cannot accelerate out of corners as fast with a heavier tire. The bike with the car tire will never keep up with the one with a bike tire
  17. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I would say that is true, I didn't put a CT on for accelerating out of corners even though it does corner reasonably well. I put it on for miles. On one bike of mine I put 38,000 miles on it just by itself in the last 2 years, then also have another bike with a CT on it that I have put about 8,000 on that bike in the last 2 years. CTs work for me since I am not out there riding on the ragged edge. In my riding group we have 3 Goldwings, 1 Meanstreak, 1 Venture, and 1 Sport touring bike that has run the IBR running CTs. No-one has had any misadventures related to the CTs. Works for us.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  18. yellow_wolf

yellow_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:

a run flat is about 5lbs heavier than a bike tire

a non run flat is almost a wash compaired to my bridgestone motorcycle tire

try again,lol
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  19. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    the General Altimax ARctic that I have run on my V-strom is more than double the weight if the stock motorcycle tire fr my V-strom

in 15 and 16" sizes, the weights will be similar, cause sizes are similar, once you step up to 17" you can't find car tires in narrow sizes
  20. yellow_wolf

yellow_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:

ok got ya different bikes!