The darkside, car tire on motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by elkgrichard, Sep 19, 2014.

1. yellow_wolf

yellow_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:

ok got ya different bikes!
  2. yellow_wolf

yellow_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and while I cant speak for track time on the ct I can say at deals gap,hundreds of runs timed im 15-40 seconds a run faster on a car tire
  3. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Do you guys running CTs mount them yourself? Are they harder to mount than a MT? I mount my own tires, but I have been known to take a PITA tire in to a shop from time to time. I imagine there probably aren't too many shops that are willing to mount a CT on a motorcycle rim, though.
  4. yellow_wolf

yellow_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a non run flat mounts easy,a run flat,not so much,lol
  5. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    the conversation was about why ya don't see em on sportbikes much, 17" is pretty standard

the heavier tire is an immense advantage fro snow I ice riding, easier to keep steady pace and harder to spin up
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tire/wheel assembly getting considerably heavier than OEM, can't really be helping your suspension to cope, when riding over bumps or washboards, can it?

I do believe though, that a CT on the back, with its larger contact patch, while going straight, could help in acceleration/braking in wintry conditions.
  7. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had stock suspension on my V-Strom when I first installed a CT, it certainly did not help the already shitty stock suspension, after I upgraded to a WP with much heavier spring, it handles better than stock suspension with a stock tire

straight or leaned, the CT has a larger contact patch
  8. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Who wants a Miata ride?!

Oddometer:
    I mounted mine myself. Went on pretty easily. Just make sure you clean up the transition area to the bead and lube it up.

Wasn't any harder to mount than a mc tire.
  9. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Good to know about the tire mounting. I think I mentioned earlier that I have a GL1500 project (that I've finally started to work on again, slowly) with a spare rear wheel. I believe I'll mount a CT on one of the wheels to try it out if I ever get the thing on the road.
  10. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    Mounting a car tire on my intruder was every bit as difficult as mounting the shinko 244 on my DR650 - that is to say, difficult only because I didn't have proper tools.

I put a bead-breaker apparatus on one leg of my shop table, and life got much easier. To break the bead on the DR650 tire, I set it on 2x4's, and my wife and I stood on the opposite sides of the tire, bounced several times, and it came loose. Mrs. Tinker isn't nearly as big as I am, but she gave me something to hold on to so I didn't fall on my ass bouncing on a tire like an idiot. All the while our 8 month old daughter watched us from her playpen. The playpen I keep in the shop.

Not sure what's better there... a wife who will help me change a tire, or a baby who sill sit quietly and watch her parents change a tire.
  11. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Just as with MTs, CTs vary on ease of mounting. The CT I mounted up on my DL650 was a PITA. I have put a lot of tires on many different vehicles, I have done it as a job on bikes and cars and that Falken I mounted up was the hardest I've ever had. It was because the tire had very pronounced rim protectors molded into the bead and those prevented the beads from being pushed into the valley of the rim well. I did discover a cheat using a ratchet strap and that made it so easy one could easily mount it with small dirt bike levers!

In my experience, tire shops won't touch a CT on a motorcycle rim. You might find one that does, can't hurt to ask unless you have thin skin because some people {like a lot on this forum} will flame the hell outta you for even thinking about doing it.
  12. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

I will say that the CT I ran was much heavier than even the Kenda Big Block it replaced and that Big Block is a pretty heavy tire for a MT.

And yes, handling does suffer in the rough stuff. Most tarmac, not too bad. Does get irritating n wash board though. No getting around that. There is a reason that manufacturers and racers bust their butts in an effort to reduce unsprung and reciprocating mass.

Would it matter to the vast majority of people who mount a CT on a bike? Prolly not.

Would it "really" matter to most of the people that ride anything that CTs are usually mounted up on,,,, V-Stroms, Wings, cruisers and what-not??? Prolly not even if many of those folks "think" they ride fast.

If you run Pilot Powers on your DL650 and play Rossi in the mountains, a CT will not be for you.

If you run 705s, Tourances or even Pilot Roads, a CT will probably work well in your application. Going on a long ass trip loaded down with gear, I can't think of a better option,,,, at least on a DL650 or the like.
  13. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    4000 mile oval track? Yeah! let's make it a multi-phase event! LOL

I'm just thinking that if the tires were track compared the CTs might embarrass MT manufacturers into giving us a truly long-lasting class of ST tires.

I also think there is a sort of motorcycle riders who would gladly pony up extra money for what is essentially a car tire if only the words molded into the side said "for motorcycle use." These people don't like coloring outside the lines. Anti-dark-siding is also an easy argument for them to make since, "..it says so right here."
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer to my question. I always wondered how IB riders did all those miles without hassling over tires. I'd suppose that most actually do run CTs?
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough your result actually makes sense to me on a GW. Running up onto the edge of CT likely raises the rear of the bike allowing for slightly more lean angle before parts hit the ground and at the same time sharpens steering when at lean. In your case those are advantages that get realized based on the pics you've posted at times. In essence = Variable chassis geometry. :)

I also think some folks tend to over estimate the grip requirements needed to run deep lean angles. If you stay Smoooooth you can get some ridiculous lean angles on almost any tire.

Me? I'm a MC tire guy. But I'm not taking sides in this debate mind you. I don't care what others run on their bikes. :)
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    You make a good point there.

I'd love to see yellow wolf try running the Gap on a KTM supermoto with a sport tire versus the same KTM supermoto with a car tire. See if the times are near the same after some serious learning time. Part will be learning to trust the sport tire to stick when leaned way over. I'm thinking I know where I'd lay my bets.

I can understand them being close with the advantage to the CT on the Wing. My limit on my Wing wasn't the tires, it was the grounding out of the chassis.

I can see each has its own place, just like street treads versus knobbies. As I've said before, I'd take a serious look at a car tire for the street if I ran enough stuff that warranted doing so.
  17. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    " KTM supermoto with a sport tire versus the same KTM supermoto with a car tire "

that's too lame. I say Panigale Superleggera on its OEM rear tyre & CT. I expect the latter to kick ass, because contact patch is larger, right?
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Absolutely, you know,,,,,, cause every darksider repeatedly states that a CT is what you need on a Gixxer if you want to be King of the Mountain. You know, cause it's heavier and it handles better.:1drink
  19. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure to catch on in MotoGP as soon as they find out a bike with a CT handles as good as one with a MT.
  20. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    But will these bikes be pulling small trailers?