The Day the Music Died

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by zookster, Feb 2, 2015.

1. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Last June/July I took an 11 day trip on my DR650. I posted a ride report of my trip on another forum at that time, but since today is the eve of "The Day the Music Died" I thought I'd share my report here with a few updates. Hope you enjoy the ride, I did!

For several years I had been wanting to visit the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA. The Surf Ballroom was the last venue Buddy Holly performed at before his untimely death in the early morning hours of February 3, 1959. Many people refer to that date as "The Day the Music Died". Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash shortly after takeoff from the Mason City, IA airport. Also killed in the same crash were Ritchie Valens, J. P. Richardson (AKA the Big Bopper) and the pilot, Roger Peterson.

The stars aligned and I left early in the morning of Jun 25, 2014. First stop was Lewisville, TX for a college graduation, then on to the ride.

That's my riding buddy Tim from Tennessee in the picture. He rode as far as Lewisville with me on the trip.

[​IMG]
  2. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 1 - Dixiana, AL to El Dorado, AR
    My buddy Tim rode down from Murfreesboro, TN on Tuesday, June 24 so we could make an early morning departure on the 25th, headed towards Lewisville, TX. We planned to leave at 7 am but didn't actually get away until after 730. Not too bad of a delay. I was on my 2007 DR650 and Tim was riding his 2003 Suzuki Intruder 800.

I have a lot more gear packed than Tim, he was terminating his ride in Lewisville while I would continue on to points west and north of there.

[​IMG]

We headed out, going through Jasper, AL then down Al Hwy 69 to Northport, picking up US 82 there. We would ride US 82 most of the way, until well into Texas.

O the way we passed through Oakman, AL.
    [​IMG]

Oakman Public Library
    [​IMG]

We soon crossed into Mississippi
    [​IMG]

and stopped for a luxurious gas station/Subway lunch in Mathiston, MS
    [​IMG]

The weather was perfect for riding
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The land flattened out in western Mississippi and agriculture took over.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must be getting close to the Mississippi River!
    [​IMG]

Yes, we were soon crossing it into Arkansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another gas stop, this time in Hamburg, AR. Tim despises Exxon so even though he was on fumes at this point he rode right by the Exxon station and stopped here. Interesting stop, and there must have been a paper mill close by 'cause it stank!
    [​IMG]

Since Tim did not have any camping gear with him, we stopped for the night at a Super 8 Motel in El Dorado, AR. The desk clerk was nice enough to let us park the bikes right out the front door. We walked over to a nearby Mexican restaurant, Antigua's Grill, for dinner. The food was great and the cerveza nice and cold, a perfect treat to end the day!

[​IMG]

430 Miles for the day.
    slime likes this.
  3. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - El Dorado, AR to Dallas, TX
    A little background. The silver Intruder in the pictures belongs to Tim. His daughter was graduating Summa Cum Laude from Devry University in Dallas, earning a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Thus the reason for the trip and one of the stars.

The original plan was for Tim and I to ride to Dallas then have a leisurely 3 day ride back to Birmingham. That plan went out the window when Tim decided to "donate" his Intruder to his son-in-law once we got to Dallas. I then started looking for another destination and settled on visiting the Surf Ballroom.

While scheming a route from Dallas to Clear Lake, IA I figured what the hey and added a few extra days off work so I could also visit Buddy Holly's birthplace in Lubbock, TX.

Welcome to Texas!

[​IMG]

Rolling through New Boston TX
    [​IMG]

A different kind of Family Dollar General - The Dollar Dog
    [​IMG]

Lots of wide open spaces in Texas
    [​IMG]

Detroit....Texas that is!
    [​IMG]

Neat old hardware store in Blossom, TX
    [​IMG]

We stopped for lunch at Rolando's Tex-Mex in Bonham, TX. A rather non-descript place but the food was good. After lunch Tim was feeling especially sociable and gave everyone back home a hello wave
    [​IMG]

No pictures of the ride into Lewisville once we go off US 82 onto TX 121, lets just say Texas drivers are just a wee bit FITH so I concentrated on staying out of the way!

As previously mentioned, Tim had decided to give his bike to his son-in-law upon our arrival in Lewisville. Here he is about to take his first ride on his new-to-him bike, all of 20 minutes after we got there. To say he was a bit excited about getting the bike is an understatement!

[​IMG]
  4. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 3-4, Dallas, TX
    Did the family and friends thing for a couple days.

Went to a college graduation
    [​IMG]

Very proud of this young lady!
    [​IMG]

Went to a alcohol influenced painting party as part of the graduation party/celebration
    [​IMG]

Ate too much of this kind of food at local eateries
    [​IMG]

And generally had a great time visiting with family, some that I hadn't seen in years.
    SwampyDeadHead and slime like this.
  5. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - Dallas, TX to Lubbock TXSetting out solo from this point forward on this trip. A first for me. I had done several local overnight/weekend/week trips in the southeast, but not this far from home base nor this many miles. Did I pack the tools I might need? Was my planning and preparation enough? Time to find out!

Tim snapped a few pictures as I was getting ready to leave. He would be returning to TN with his wife via car (what a weenie!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I headed west for Lubbock TX. Soon after leaving I came across this sign
    [​IMG]

Although the roads were relatively straight and flat, the scenery was always interesting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You don't know.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the really cool things about rural TX highways
    [​IMG]

More west Texas gorgeous landscapes. Having lived in El Paso for several years in the late 80's, I was really digging being back in the western part of Texas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day was turning out to be quite warm, finally topping out at 105F when I got to Lubbock.
    [​IMG]

Made it!
    [​IMG]

Now let's find the Buddy Holly Center and visit Buddy's gravesite in the Lubbock Cemetery.
    SwampyDeadHead, xcsks and slime like this.
  6. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine was at Buddy Holly's last concert. He is 75 now. Furthermore he happened to be working at the airport where they brought the plane wreck back to and he saw it being reconstructed on the hangar floor. He rode a 36 Harley at the time. Later he had an R75/5 but doesn't ride any more.
    slime likes this.
  7. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - Buddy Holly Center and Buddy Holly gravesite, Lubbock, TX

Visiting the Buddy Holly Center, 1801 Crickets Ave, Lubbock, TX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles Hardin Holley was born on Sept 7, 1936 in his parent's home on Sixth St in Lubbock, TX, the youngest of 4 children. His mother, Ella Holley, nicknamed him "Buddy" because "Charles Hardin was just too big of a name for a little boy". Buddy took to music around age 3 and went on to become one of the most influential musicians of all time.

Although his professional career only lasted 18 months, his music influenced many bands of the late 50's, 60's and 70's, such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and even Elton John. Paul McCartney has said that at least the first 40 songs he and John Lennon wrote were influenced by Buddy Holly. Elton John reportedly ruined his eyesight wearing Buddy Holly inspired glasses at an early age, when he didn't need glasses at all.

By the way, Holley is the correct spelling of his last name. A mistake on an early contract omitted the "e". In fear of losing the contract if he pointed it out, Buddy signed and decided to keep "Holly" as his stage name.

The Buddy Holly Center is a performing arts center and contains three galleries, the Foyer Gallery, the Fine Arts Gallery and the Buddy Holly Gallery which features artifact, mementos, photographs and historic documents from the life of Buddy Holly.

Unfortunately the Center does not allow photography in the Buddy Holly Gallery, but it was well worth the visit. Buddy's Fender Stratocaster guitar that he played at the Surf Ballroom is on display, along with his acoustic guitar, early childhood items, some of his suits, record contracts and personal items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A recent addition to the grounds of The Buddy Holly Center is the boyhood home of Jerry "J.I." Allison, drummer in The Crickets, Buddy Holly's band. The Crickets were Buddy (Lead Guitar, Vocals), Niki Sullivan (Guitar). Joe B Mauldin (Bass) and Jerry Allison (Drums). The band often rehearsed or held jam sessions in Jerry's bedroom. 2 of the best known Buddy Holly and the Crickets' songs were written in this house, "Peggy Sue" and "That'll Be The Day".

[​IMG]

The house has several original pieces and is decorated with period correct furnishings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After concluding my visit to the Buddy Holly Center, I headed for the City of Lubbock Cemetery, where Buddy's grave is located.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a tradition to leave guitar picks on Buddy's headstone. I left two of my favorite picks.
    [​IMG]

Buddy's parents are buried next to him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visits finished, time to head north and find a place to camp for the night.
    young1, Watercat and slime like this.
  8. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:

I would be interested in hearing his story about those experiences if he would be willing to share. I visited the Mason City Airport later on in this trip,and of course the Surf Ballroom. To hear the recollections of someone who was there that fateful night would be fascinating.
  9. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - Lubbock, TX to Palo Duro State Park, Canyon, TX

All across west Texas from Lewisville to Lubbock I battled a constant, sometimes fierce cross wind from the south. Strong cross winds suck! When I headed North from Lubbock I now had a wonderful tailwind.

Several large food processing plants were along the highway on the way North
    [​IMG]

This one in particular was absolutely huge. That is a full size diesel-electric locomotive in the foreground to the left.
    [​IMG]

I soon arrived at my destination for the night, Palo Duro State Park. When I checked in at the park office the attendant asked if I was prepared for the heat. As I had just ridden through a 105F day and had an ample supply of water on the bike and in my camelback, I replied "yes". She said no, I mean it's 20 degrees hotter down in the canyon where the campground is and there is no wind! I said sure (adding "I think so", to myself!). Turned out since I wanted a site with electric service I wasn't quite so far down in the canyon and had a decent wind. It was still hot, but not +20.

[​IMG]

After I had set up my tent a lady and her son walked by. The lady remarked to her son"Hey buddy, remember that tree? That is the one that got hit by lightning last year. Guess they had to cut it down". Great. Camped next to a lightning rod!

The park itself was very nice, clean and tidy with stunning views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

424 Miles for the day.
    xcsks and slime like this.
  10. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Palo Duro State Park to Salina, KS

I got a late start, didn't leave the campground til around 930am.

Stopped in Amarillo for a quick "healthy" breakfast.
    [​IMG]

Then some more of the north Texas terrain.
    [​IMG]

Saw quite a few of these on this leg of the trip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one
    [​IMG]

Had a pusher engine on the end.
    [​IMG]

This part of Texas is definitely flat for miles and miles and miles. Some folks don't like straight flat roads, but I find them oddly peaceful as long as there isn't much traffic (or dratted evil cross winds lol). I do like riding the curvy roads quite a bit too, of course, but straight roads can be fun too.
    [​IMG]

An enormous stockyard. The black line is all cattle pens.
    [​IMG]

I crossed into Oklahoma, but was only in that state very briefly through the panhandle.
    [​IMG]

I was soon in Kansas but the terrain did not change much initially.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was shaping up to be another hot day in the saddle.
    [​IMG]

The Lone Tree Incident
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think every town I passed through had at least one of these.
    [​IMG]

Interesting blade pattern on this windmill.
    [​IMG]

Plenty of these behemoths running around too. Mostly in the fields but occasionally on the road too!
    [​IMG]

Ellsworth, KS, last town on the US Highways/State Routes I was riding before a quick hop on I-70 to Salina and camp.
    [​IMG]

Stopped for the night at the KOA of Salina KS. Dinner time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset at the KOA of Salina, KS.
    [​IMG]

432 Miles for the day.
  11. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 7
    Salina, KS to Clear Lake, IA

I was up, packed and on the road by 8am. Headed north on US 81 towards Nebraska.

Yeah, Kansas is pretty flat too!
    [​IMG]

Case combine roaming the streets in downtown Concordia, KS by the old Fire Dept
    [​IMG]

A few more pictures from Concordia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossed into Nebraska
    [​IMG]

About the only thing that changed was the number of corn fields. It is the "Cornhusker" state after all!
    [​IMG]

Haven't seen a functional Sinclair station since I was a kid growing up in Georgia in the 60's
    [​IMG]

Saw this painted shed in Fairmount, NE.
    [​IMG]

Another big cattle feedlot/stockyard outside of Omaha, NE
    [​IMG]

Crossed over into Iowa after taking the interstate around Omaha, NE.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course Iowa is known for it's corn too!
    [​IMG]

Not too many pictures on the last section up to Clear Lake, went through a rain storm and had been battling high cross winds all day, around 25-30 mph. Got blown off onto the shoulder more than once. I was going to camp at the Clear Lake State Park but after battling the cross winds and with another large rain storm bearing down I didn't feel much like setting up my tent in the rain. Decided to see if I could find a cheap hotel since I was going to be in town for a couple of days. Settled on a slightly worn place on the edge of town, the Lake Country Inn. It had definitely seen better days, but was reasonably clean and certainly cheap enough.

The clerk did tell me though that she was putting me in the room next to the office so she could keep an eye on me?!?!? I'm such a dirtbag I guess. But then she offers that I can move the park bench in front of my room and park my bike on the sidewalk directly under my window.

Straight out of the 40's-50's!
    [​IMG]

Yes, it has an old window unit AC stuck in the wall.
    [​IMG]

And one of these. Glad it wasn't cold, this thing would have probably burned the place down if I turned it on.
    [​IMG]

Old School keys in use here! Cool room number to have if you're a Schwantz fan.
    [​IMG]

510 Miles for the day.
    xcsks and slime like this.
  12. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 8 - Clear Lake, IA

Surf Ballroom
    460 N. Shore Dr, Clear Lake, IA

Although he died before I was born, I've been a Buddy Holly fan nearly all my life, becoming familiar with his music when I was a teenager.

I had been wanting to visit the Surf Ballroom for many years, never quite putting my desires into action. To be able to finally set foot in this venue was a dream come true. Hallowed ground to a Buddy Holly fan.

In 1958 Buddy moved to New York to be more involved in the music/publishing/recording scene. The Crickets elected not to move and returned to Lubbock. Buddy married Maria Elena Santiago in Aug 1958, after proposing to her on their first date. Buddy was having trouble getting royalty payments from his manager, Norman Petty and in fact retained a noted lawyer to assist. With the money still being withheld by Petty, newly married and the rent due, Buddy had to go back out on the road.

He was offered a spot on the Winter Dance Party, which was to be a 3 week tour hitting 24 cities across the Midwest beginning Jan 23, 1959. Also performing on the tour were Dion and The Belmonts, Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper and Frankie Sardo. Since the Crickets and Buddy had split up in November 1958, Buddy assembled a new band consisting of Waylon Jennings (Bass), Tommy Allsup (Guitar) and Carl Bunch (Drums).

On Feb 2, 1959 the tour arrived in Clear Lake IA for a show at the Surf Ballroom. The venue had not been a scheduled stop, but the tour promoters, hoping to fill an open date, called Surf Ballroom manager Carroll Anderson and offered him the show. He accepted and they set the show for that night. It was to be the last performance for Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RJ44, bomose, xcsks and 2 others like this.
  13. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 8 (Continued)
    Surf Ballroom

The original Surf Ballroom opened on 17 April 1933. It burned down on 20 April 1947 at an estimated loss of $250,000. On 1 July 1948 it reopened, having been rebuilt across the street from its original location. It still hosts numerous events and has a seating capacity of 2,100 and a 6,300-square-foot dance floor.

From a pictureboard in the administrative hallway entitled "Renovation"
    Aside from a brief closing in late 1967 between owners, the Surf Ballroom operated continuously from its opening until 1994. The doors were closed through the summer of 1994 until the Snyder family of Clear Lake purchased the Ballroom in September. The Snyders undertook a massive rehabilitation of the property, which stood in a state of disrepair with significant damage to the dance floor due to roof leaks. They referred to floorplans and historic photos to return the Surf to its 1948 appearance.

In the lobby area, wallpaper was removed to uncover the historic pineapple stenciling, which was then restored. A close replica of the original carpet was installed. In the ballroom the maple dance floor was sanded, sealed and waxed with a few badly deteriorated boards being replaced. To prevent further damage the roof was replaced. Missing palm trees that historically flanked the stage were replicated and returned to their original locations and a stone water fountain along the promenade was uncovered and repaired, still remaining operational today.

Decidedly less glamorous tasks were handled by a wealth of volunteers, who cleaned restrooms, booths and the building as a whole, removing tons of debris and garbage that had been thrown into the trench that runs the perimeter of the building.

Let's go inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have seen the movie "The Buddy Holly Story" you will recognize this pay phone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Green Room (room used by performers just off the stage, while waiting for their cue to go onstage). The walls are covered with signatures of performers, a tradition that started in the 1980's. Reportedly Buddy Holly washed his clothes in these sinks due to the Laundromat in town being closed.
    [​IMG]

Numerous posters, photos and mementos adorn the walls of the administrative hallway and the Surfside 6 Cafe, an on-site lounge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bomose, Comrade Arturo and slime like this.
  14. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 8

The Crash Site

"The Day The Music Died"

By the time the tour stopped in Clear Lake, bandmate Carl Bunch had already been hospitalized with frostbitten feet due to the malfunctioning heater on the tour bus. Fed up with the abysmal conditions on the tour bus, Buddy arranged for the charter of a small plane to take him, Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup to the next stop on the tour, Moorhead, MN, in an attempt to get ahead of the tour and have a good rest in a hotel before the next show.

The Big Bopper (JP Richardson) had contracted the flu and got Waylon Jennings to give up his seat on the plane. Tommy Allsup lost his seat in a coin toss with Ritchie Valens.

When Holly learned that Jennings was not going to fly, he said in jest, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes," a humorous but ill-fated response that haunted Jennings for the rest of his life.

The three, along with 21 year-old local pilot Roger Peterson boarded the 4-seat 1947 Beechcraft Bonanza 35 (N3794N) at the Mason City Municipal Airport, 3 miles away from the Surf Ballroom. The plane took off at 12:55 a.m. on February 3, 1959 in light snow with 29-34 mph winds. It was 18F.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Within minutes of takeoff the plane crashed into a stubble corn field some 6 miles northwest of the airport. Later in the morning, after the destination airport (Hector Airport in Fargo, ND) had failed to hear from the flight, Hubert Dwyer, owner of the airplane and charter flying service, took off in his own Cessna 180 and discovered the wreckage while flying the intended route.

The crash site is on private property but the landowner has graciously allowed the public to access the site. The site is approximately 4.5 miles north of Clear Lake near the intersection of 315th St and Gull Ave.

Lets take a ride there.

Head north on 8th Ave/Grouse Ave.
    [​IMG]

Take a right on 310th St just past this curve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take an immediate left onto Gull Ave. Just past the grain bins the path to the crash site is on the left at the intersection of Gull Ave and 315th St
    [​IMG]

The path is marked by a large replica of a pair of Buddy's trademark glasses.
    [​IMG]

The crash site is approx 1/2 mile down the path. A solemn walk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plane's right wing tip hit the ground first, then the plane tumbled across the stubble corn field, crumpling and skidding across the frozen landscape another 570 feet before the wreckage came to a rest against this wire fence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles Hardin Holley (Buddy Holly), age 22;
    [​IMG]

Jiles Perry "JP" Richardson (The Big Bopper), age 28;
    [​IMG]

Richard Steven Valenzuela (Ritchie Valens), age 17;
    [​IMG]

and pilot Roger Arthur Peterson, age 21 all died in the crash.
    [​IMG]

February 3, 1959. The Day the Music Died.

Don Mclean - American Pie
  15. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 8

Iowa Trolley Park
    3249 Main Ave, Clear Lake, IA

This is sort of a sad story but with a cool twist.

With my visits to the Surf Ballroom and Crash Site completed, I went to my next destination which I had found while perusing a Visitor's Guide from my motel.

This park was originally intended as a educational exhibit founded by the Mason City & Clear Lake Electric Railroad Historical Society. At its peak the Park had 2 restored trolley cars and the group was working on restoring a 1913 Depot that had served the Clear Lake area from 1913 to 1984.

Sad Part
    Unfortunately hard times befell the group, and with donations thin the money ran out to keep up with payments, insurance etc. The trolley cars went away and all that is left is a few rusting cars outside the building. I was unaware of the Depot project when I visited, it wasn't on the grounds so I'm not sure what became of it.

The Cool Twist
    The person who had been letting the group use the building and land, Stan Gentry, was trying to decide what to do with the Park. It was suggested that since he was retired he should take over running the Park.

So what's a man to do running a Trolley Park with no trolleys? Why, build a replica of an early wood fired steam locomotive, that's what! Of course due funding issues the project is slowly coming to completion but it is rather impressive what has been completed/accomplished so far. Mr. Gentry is attempting to replicate the 22 ton Virginia & Truckee 2-6-0 No. 1 Lyon, originally built at the Union Iron Works in San Francisco in 1869. The locomotive saw service in the Carson City and Virginia City, NV area. The Lyon was the V&T's first steam locomotive.

Since returning from my trip a lot of progress has been made on the Lyon replica. The boiler was recently picked up in Illinois and brought back to Clear Lake. The team is in the process of procuring/manufacturing the ancillary parts to mount the boiler on the chassis.

A few photos from the Park. The day I visited they had just cut the grass but it was still rather high around the outside items.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A photo of the original No. 1 Lyon.
    [​IMG]

The replica.

Tender chassis
    [​IMG]

Locomotive chassis with wooden mockup of boiler. The actual boiler for the project has been completed but requires assembly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Display/activity area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remains of an 1860's passenger car. Yes, the place was a bit cluttered! But cool at the same time. I pretty much had free reign to wander where I wanted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An old trolley car from San Francisco. Mr. Gentry estimated it would take approx. $500k to restore it. Damage to the front occurred while moving it from a storage location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This message was just above the operator's seat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info about the Lyon and the Park:

VT Lyon

Iowa Trolley Park
    Watercat and slime like this.
  16. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 8

Clear Lake, IA.

I really enjoyed my visit to Clear Lake, it is a really nice small town. I'm sure they get far too much snow in the wintertime for me though. I did see quite a few snowmobile crossing signs while riding around town. Something we don't see down in Alabamy!

While there I went to a Bike Night at The Other Place and caught a show from Iowa based singer-songwriter Larry Myer, he was really good and worth checking out:
    http://www.larrymyer.net/

If I'm ever back in that area I will definitely be looking up his tour schedule!

Just a few photos from the area, then it will be time to point that front wheel southward and head for home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Excellent stuff. More please.
  18. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 9 - Clear Lake, IA to Anamosa, IA

Up and packed, ready to go at 8am. Another long day in the saddle ahead with a stop at a museum in Anamosa, IA then onto Wakonda State Park in La Grange, MO for the night.

Getting ready the night before. This was my navigation "system" for the trip. Route sheets I made up for a map case that clips to my crossbar and paper maps from AAA. I did have a Garmin Nuvi for emergency use, but never took it out of my saddlebags.
    [​IMG]

On the road again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A short 170 miles later I arrive at my mid-day destination. The National Motorcycle Museum, 102 Chambers Dr., Anamosa, IA.
    [​IMG]
    xcsks, Mark Thom and slime like this.
  19. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Day 9

National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, IA.

The National Motorcycle Museum was founded in 1989, the brainchild John Parham of J & P Cycles, a well known supplier of aftermarket motorcycle parts and accessories.

I have been to the Hall of Fame Motorcycle Museum in Pickerington, OH, visited Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, NC a few years ago, and live about 20 minutes from the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham. This museum ranks right up there with all the above, with over 400 bikes on display and a ton of memorabilia. Well worth the $10 admission.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice boardtrack racer display
    [​IMG]

Hillclimbers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flattrackers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the "Roadog"!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all a nice museum, only detraction is that so many of the bikes are just crammed together making viewing and photos difficult. Like this one:
    [​IMG]

One last "interesting" bike that was out in the Foyer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo Gallery from the Museum:
    National Motorcycle Museum
    Comrade Arturo, mrsdnf and slime like this.
  20. ross

ross Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing this thread. I grew up near Clear Lake and knew the history of Buddy Holly pretty well. Cool to hear it from a real fan. My wife's parents were at the show, but not a wealth of information talking to them about it. I misspent part of my youth drinking and going to the Surf in the early 80's. I spent more time just down the block at Lou's Lounge, though. I go to the Other Place to eat if passing through Clear Lake at meal time, I will try to check out Larry Myer. A year and a half ago I went to see Cheap Trick play at the Surf. It was neat to see it restored- it had been a real dump the last time I was there before that. The booths are not very comfy. Thanks again for doing this thread, glad to hear your perspective.