The Death of My Strom and The End of My Season

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HMR71, Aug 4, 2005.

1. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    Some of you might remember my report from a few weeks ago: 14 Days, 4200 Miles and Some Clarity on the WeeStrom. I felt a little incomplete after that adventure because my buddy J and I never got to finish our trail ride. His brand-new 950 Adventure conked out right at the trailhead.:umph So, on Sat, July 23<SUP>rd</SUP> I get a call from J saying: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

-"Hey! My bike's fixed. We're riding Wednesday. Wanna come?"

-"Hmmm (2 millisecond pause) I'll be there." (Click)<o:p></o:p>

Now, remember, I live 1089 miles away from the trailhead. I check my work schedule and, sure enough, I have two weeks free starting Sunday afternoon. So, on Sunday morning I take a quick flight out to Colorado, pick up my boss and bring him back to SoCal.<o:p></o:p>

My Office:
    [​IMG]
    (Great for spotting DS trails at 39,000 feet)
    With the Boss' blessing:pope , I race home and start packing. My drybags were already half-packed as I was hoping to sneak up to the IDC Bash and catch the White Mountain Research ride on the way home.:ricky J's trail ride was a perfect excuse to head north. I got on the road sometime after noon and slogged it up I5. In the 100+ degree heat and smog, lane splitting at 20-30 mph in full-body armor is akin to doing the Bhutan Death March on a bike. I was stuck in traffic for hours. Just one of the prices I pay to live in paradise. Somewhere near Santa Clarita, the road opened up and I was able to blast off into the scorching wind towards Mojave.
    [​IMG]

I was in a race with the sun. I wanted to find a campsite in the Owens Valley before sundown.
    [​IMG]

I HATE RIDING AT NIGHT- too many animals to jump out and bite you. I saw a sign for Lake Diaz around 8pm. "A lake? Out here? It's gotta be good." <o:p></o:p>
    It turned out to be nice...

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Nice and HOT!<o:p></o:p>

It was about 140 degrees in my tent at midnight. The stars were so bright I could see shadows. Then the full moon came up and I had to put on sunscreen. So much for sleeping! I exited my REI sweatbox at sunrise and saddled-up.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I found this hanging in a tree at my campsite. The previous occupants must've spontaneously combusted in the heat:
    [​IMG]

The Sierras at sunrise are always amazing. I could just sit in one spot all day and watch the shadows change on the mountains.

[​IMG] <o:p></o:p>
    OK, enough of the Thoreau crap! I've got 780 miles to cover before sundown. Ansel Adams can eat my dust. GIDDYUP!

Monday:<o:p></o:p>

-105 degrees<o:p></o:p>

-Coffee in Bishop<o:p></o:p>

-Lunch in Fallon<o:p></o:p>

The Strom performed perfectly, as usual. Is there another bike that can ride all day through the desert heat at 85-90mph, get 45-55mpg and never even hiccup?<o:p></o:p>

I stopped somewhere along the way at Hawthorne Lake and tried to figure out why the Naval Undersea Warfare Station is based in the middle of Nevada?

I thought I took pictures of the Naval facility but can't find them on my digi-cam. Hmmm... Something's fishy. I better call Art Bell on the "West of the Rockies" line ASAP.

Fortunately, I still have my Bigfoot photo:

Is that crazy, or what? The big guy ran right through my camp at Bass Lake!:dunno

Anyway... There was a ton of construction on the 95 and I had to keep stopping so some guys could mumble into walkie-talkies and drive around in steamrollers. It's cool, though, everyone usually gets out of their cars and I end up meeting some really great folks.<o:p></o:p>

I kept looking at the position of the sun and checking the map for how far I had to go to J's house:

He lives up in the woods and once the sun goes down, I stop riding (J's orders). Idaho has a lot of cuddly varmints that like to run across the road unannounced.<o:p></o:p>

Between the construction and riding slower and slower in the fading light, I made it to the ranch over an hour later than planned. J's wife had dinner waiting and I sunk my butt into a chair on the porch and sunk my teeth into some BBQ'd Halibut.:tb <o:p></o:p>

Tuesday was spent doing this:
    [​IMG]

(To Be Continued...)
  2. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    :lurk
  3. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
  4. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Hey Ace, brilliant :lurk think alike :thumb
  5. TooTall

TooTall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report so far, but the title is a little disheartening. Hope all is well with you.
  6. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    cool map :thumb

7. Steve-O

Steve-O Jackass

Oddometer:
    The Owens Valley always makes me wax poetic whenever I ride through it.

Hope you're OK, and the ride can be saved (or replaced). :cry

Good luck,

Waiting patiently......

Steve-O
  8. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, I woke up in the treehouse:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Stuffed my tankbag full of snacks and headed into town to meet J and our buddy SW at the "Toy Barn":
    [​IMG]

On our last trip we tried to do this trail:
    [​IMG]

The dirt portion was only 10 miles. This time, J planned a different route: 220 miles total, 172 miles of dirt. Our path would take us through the towns of Yellow Pine, Big Creek and Warren. J had scouted the whole route and visited all three towns beforehand aboard the Ride Finder 3000:

The first 10 miles or so were really muddy and all three bikes were skating around like Scott Hamilton after a few drinks.:loaded I didn't take many pics as my hands were glued to the bars trying to stay in the same area code as J. If you buy National Geographic's "Most Amazing Places" book, there's probably a bunch of shots of this trail in there.:D <o:p></o:p>

Convenience stop #1: (note: after I did 1100 miles in a day on my last trip, J and SW both went and bought AirHawk seat cushions):tush
    [​IMG]

50 miles after we hit the dirt we came to Yellow Pine. Here's the general store:

Gas is across the street:

Insider tip: FILL UP HERE!!! No matter how much it costs!<o:p></o:p>

Yellow Pine is a neat town. It seems to have no more than 20 buildings yet 3 of them are saloons.:slurp We walked into one and it was a cross between a John Wayne flick and the cantina scene from the first Star Wars.:eek1 I think there were real-live gold prospectors in there! I left before anyone had a chance to say: "Ain't nothing but steers and queers come from San Dee-Eggo" Besides, I'm all about the love now. My days of throwing outlaws through windows and punching-out crooked Sheriffs have been over for several months.:smooch <o:p></o:p>

We contributed to the local economy then rode over to the airport to make sure all the new FAA/Homeland Security measures were in place:

Next stop Big Creek! It was 25 miles of easy hardpack:

Somewhere along the way, the KTM started acting up. I think it had 600 miles on the ODO when we started and was just given a clean bill of health by the dealer after its last "episode".:nah

Here's J showing which hand he'll use to punch the dealer:

He signaled me to lead the pack. I was finally able to get far enough ahead to snap some photos:<o:p></o:p>

SW on the best looking bike BMW has ever made:
    [​IMG]

J looking for a mineshaft to bury the KTM in:
    Here's the south end of Big Creek:

And the north end:

That's it. The town's population is made up of John:

And his wife. They're Mennonites from Michigan. John's wife was wearing the traditional bonnet, long-sleeved dress and apron that I've seen in Mennonite communities in the mid-west and back east. She didn't say much but she was very nice and makes the second best apple pie on earth. John cooks the burgers on the grill and then they serve it like this:
    (Dig the slice of cheese and the pitcher of OJ). <o:p></o:p>

John told some really corny jokes that weren't very funny but the fact that some Mennonite was trying to tell us jokes had us rolling!:rofl :poser

We scoped out the airport for the afformentioned security checks:

And then bid farewell to our new friends.
    The road out of Big Creek:

After Big Creek the road gets steeper and rougher as you climb toward Elk Summit:

Even the KTM was a handful on the steep switchbacks. The BMW was downright unwieldy. The little Strom was somewhere in between. We still had a LONG way to go and mechanical problems were starting to creep up. The KTM was surging so bad J might as well have been on a mechanical bull. :topes The GS lost its back brake just in time for the start of the downhill half of our ride.:umph The Strom just purred along like a happy kitty.:getiton J and SW showed their skills by guiding their broken bikes over the most technical terrain on the route. BTW-These boys can ride!:super We all agreed we'd like to come back on some XR's.

Token bridge shot:
    [​IMG]

We pulled into Warren late in the afternoon. Up the street:
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

Down the street:

This is a cool place to refresh:
    [​IMG]

The Dance Hall. I bet they play both kinds of music here: Country and Western :zilla
    [​IMG]

(To Be Continued...)
  9. tel

tel Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Love the map :D

Rock on! :freaky
  10. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor

Oddometer:
    keep it up :thumb
  11. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    Shortly after Warren, we made it back to the pavement:
    [​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

This was the stretch where J left me in the dust on the last trip. I was doing 110mph on this road and J walked away from me.:wave I'm used to getting spanked by C2W and Speedstar on their Stroms, but the 950 in the twisties?:nono J proved the KTM, with a good rider aboard, is an excellent canyon carver. Unfortunately, this time he had to limp back at 40mph with the backfiring of the KTM echoing through the canyons. 220 miles and 10hrs after we started, we pulled back into the Toy Barn tired, dirty and happy.<o:p></o:p>

I'm continually amazed with the WeeStrom. By the time we finished our ride I had around 8600 miles on the ODO. I still hadn't found a single loose bolt. I change the oil & filter every 3K, gas, lube the chain and go. That's it!:strum

On Thursday, I pulled out of town and rode to Spokane to visit an old buddy. Friday morning I was itching to ride and had gobs of time before I needed to be anywhere. I decided to head south towards the Columbia River Gorge.

I pulled off the highway to snap this pick (I love watching these tugboats):

As I'm sitting there, I see an 18-wheeler pulling over right behind me. I'm thinking the driver is having some sort of mechanical problem when he jumps out with a big smile and says, "looking for a fun route?" His name's Serge and he rides a GoldWing. He points out a few things on the map then jumps back in his truck and takes off. The guy pulled his big rig over just to give me directions! :thumbup I followed his advice and crossed over the bridge and rode along the north side of the river. It was pretty, but everything's pretty along the Gorge:

I wanted to make some progress southbound so I hopped on 197 and gunned it towards Bend, OR. My goal was a little spot on the map called La Pine State Park. Again, I was racing with the sun.

I pulled off the road somewhere near the park and tried to set up camp along this river (Deschutes):

I was reminded by the big, "NO CAMPING ALONG RIVER" signs that I was no longer in Idaho. I rode up to the guard station and was greeted with the dreaded: "We're all full tonight!" The ranger was about as nice as they come. He grabbed my map (why does everyone grab my map?):cromag and pointed to a nearby campground called East Lake. <o:p></o:p>

I tooled along up this road:
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

Came to this lake:

And pitched camp near the shore:

Sometime after dark, a little kid in Pajamas wandered into my camp and introduced himself:
    -"Hi, I'm Emmett with two T's"

-"Uh, Hi... Where are your parents?"

-"Over there" (pointing through the woods)

I yelled through the trees to his dad (AKA: :asshat) : "Hey, your son's over here"

-"Yeah, I know, he wants to see your bike."

Emmett says: "Is this one of those Dual Purpose bikes?" (He's 4 years old!!!):norton <o:p></o:p>

He checks out the Strom for a while and then asks: "What kind of bike does your husband ride?" (That's an exact quote!):clap :poser If I were drinking something it would've shot out of my nose.<o:p></o:p>

I gave Emmett the old: "Hear that?:ear I think there's a S'more calling your name" and he ran off to his RV.

(To Be Continued...)
  12. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    The little kid story made me grin...as I hear my two year old laughing instead of going to sleep.
  13. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome plan...sorry it backfired, I think. Sorry the KTM backfired, anyway.

P.S. Here's how to keep the 2 and 3 year olds out of trouble:
    [​IMG]
  14. HMR71

HMR71 Significant Pickle

Oddometer:
    The next morning I packed up and stopped by the lake one more time:
    [​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I turned south along HWY97 at appprox. 8:20am. 35 miles later I was cruising along at 70mph singing songs to myself and taking in the scenery. I caught a glimpse of something to my side and then everything went into slow motion. There was an animal on my left. It was moving toward me. It had just landed from a leap and was coiling up to leap again. It was like I was watching a movie and not in my body. I saw antlers, I looked straight into its right eye and then I started yelling a word I would keep repeating several hundred more times: "NO, NO, NOOOOOO!!!" Not with a horror-movie-style scream but more of a "No Way! This CANNOT be happening!" tone. I shut my eyes at impact, felt myself go weightless and then got rocked by the impact with the ground. I opened my eyes and the pavement was rushing by the right side of my head, 2 inches from my right eye. I was sliding head first on my right shoulder and right temple. I could see behind me. My hips were slightly elevated and my left boot and knee were dragging on the ground. I could see my bike traveling at the same speed about 5-10' behind me. I've slid before in numerous dirtbike (and 1 streetbike) dismounts but never anywhere near this speed. I slid for so long I tried to change my body position and get my feet out in front. Whatever I did, I started to tumble and tumble until I eventually came to rest on my back with my feet out in front.

There's not much traffic on that stretch at 9am. I just sat there sprawled out, hyperventilating saying "Oh, GOD!" Wiggling my fingers: "THANK YOU GOD!", my toes: "THANK YOU GOD!" and then just repeating NO, NO, NO..." <o:p></o:p>

I was in the middle of the road. I wanted to get up and look around. I almost stood all the way up but caught a glimpse of my bloody leg and collapsed. Instead, I did this weird fish-out-of-water backstroke move and pulled myself off to the shoulder next to my bike. By that time, people started to show up. First was a big-rig driver. He could barely speak into his cellphone. He was saying, "Help! Help!" to the 911 operator. Next came Colleen, a real-live angel and pediatric nurse on the way to her daughter's softball game. She was holding my hand when I started flopping around on the pavement from shock. My teeth were chattering and my whole body was bouncing completely off the ground like I was having a seizure. Someone on a Harley with chaps showed up and pinned me to the ground. Another guy on a big Beemer in a blue AeroStitch stopped and tried to help. Whoever you guys are: THANK YOU!!! Another couple on 2 Wide Glides rode up next to me, shook their heads and rode off. WTF? <o:p></o:p>

I started to pass out from the pain and don't remember much until Fire Chief Barry Petznick showed up in the ambulance.

It was an hour-LONG ride back to St Charles Medical Center in Bend:

I'll spare you the hospital stuff.

All things considered, my injuries are minor: Stitches in my knee, battered and bruised (with only an itty-bitty fracture) right hand, roadrash on my butt and left elbow. The doctor told me he was a little blown away by my good condition. I started extolling the virtues of ATGATT and he shook his head in agreement. He said my gear and "excellent physical condition" saved me.:lift Personally, I think it was just a big dose of God's grace.
    The Doctor found out I was a pilot and I spent the next half-hour answering airplane questions.:bueller <o:p></o:p>

I was released later the same day.

I took a cab from the hospital to Redmond airport. My only wardrobe choices were my hospital gown or my ripped-up riding gear. I put my riding gear on and tried to stand on one leg while I waited at the Avis counter. I stunk like gasoline and was still covered in dirt from the crash. I got some strange looks. Once in the car I drove to the salvage yard to see my baby.

This is Gary (blue shirt) and family:
    [​IMG]

They took care of my bike (i.e. held it for ransom) and camping gear (most of it survived). Here's the damage:

Notice the deer hair:

[​IMG]
    Yes, that's another Strom in the background.:cry

My gear:

[​IMG]

Left Knee (the grey material shredded in an area that isn't visible):
    [​IMG]

Left Boot:
    [​IMG]

Right Shoulder and Elbow:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Left Arm:
    [​IMG]

Mystery... Back of pants are undamaged but my underwear was ripped up on the pavement? This turned out to be just as painful as my knee:
    [​IMG]

I drove out to the accident scene:
    The buck was gone. I was told that some locals came while I was being loaded in the ambulence and took the buck home to eat it. I at least wanted the antlers! <o:p></o:p>

There were no skidmarks; I didn't even hit the brakes. I wanted to walk the length of the scrape marks but I could barely get out of the car. They looked to be the length of two 18-wheelers (including the cab), That's about 130'? I left the scene at 5:30pm and started driving south. I was really depressed. The thing J was always warning me about had happened. What are the odds?

Somewhere outside of Klamath Falls I turned on the radio. The very first thing I hear is Carefree Highway by Gordon Lightfoot.
    Lyrics:
    Picking up the pieces of my broken dreams...
    Carefree Highway...Let me slip away on you...:doh
    I had to pull over so I didn't end up in Klamath Lake I was laughing so hard!

I drove through the night replaying the day's events in my head and arrived in Santa Barbara the next day.

There were two little guys who kept flashing through my mind while I was sprawled out on the road. It was important I see them:
    [​IMG]
    (Little HMR on top).<o:p></o:p>

I'm back in San Diego now. My mom:icydropped by yesterday to give me this:
    [​IMG]Awww, Shucks, Mom...

For the record: I bought the bike exactly 10 weeks before the crash and put 9500+ miles on it. Nearly all the miles were over the course of two, multi-week camping trips. Overall, it's the best bike I've owned.

I had some junk in my head I needed to clear out and the Strom was the perfect medicine. <o:p></o:p>

RIDE SAFE! <o:p></o:p>

ATGATT!<o:p></o:p>

See you next season.
    [​IMG]

HMR<o:p></o:p>
  15. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Great report HMR! Too bad about the ending, but at least you weren't badly hurt and will ride another day!

I don't know what's going on with the deer population over the last couple of years, it just gotten crazy. It wasn't that long ago I never thought much about animal strikes, now it's a constant fear. Too bad, I used to love rding at night,
    but now I just don't...
  16. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Great story, thanks for sharing. Glad you didnt get too banged up.
    Too bad you didnt get the antlers, hopefuly no more deer try and attack you.
  17. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    ATGATT is right.
    Live well brother. Best wishes to you and your fam.
  18. winterhk

winterhk *Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer:
    :eek1 WOW! :eek1

Excellent write-up, I must say, despite the challenges! I am really glad you're ok. Nothing puts priorities in perspective like an experience of that intensity! I think some of my own priorities just became clearer as well...thanks for sharing. Don't forget to allow yourself some time to rest and grieve and process - if you want/need. An experience like that can teach people many things and can continue to for some time.
    Again - I am very glad to know you drove home from that...
  19. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    I'm very happy to hear you're mostly all right. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  20. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Damn... Thank God you are relatively OK. ATGATT all the time, everytime. There is nothing quite like that feeling when you look that animal in the eye and you know there is nothing you can do. It happens so fast. I had a similar experience with a moose, but I was in a cage. Everything goes in slow motion, just as you described. I hope you heal quick! Bikes and gear can be replaced, you can't...

On a side note, as I was reading about your return to the scene and how Gordon Lightfoot/Carefree Highway came on the radio... I kid you not, that was the song that came up as I was listening to iTunes... Too weird. :huh