The Death of the Trans-LABRADOR Highway

Discussion in 'Canada' started by nick949eldo, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    Jerry and his GF are both nurses?

2. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah thats them! I dont know his girlfriend though.
  3. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. Lots of old ride reports and old government and community maps and information. The update is appreciated. I'll be out there in summer 2019 looping through Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and back home to Alberta. Really looking forward to it.
    MikefromNL and Millwright98 like this.
  4. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the rest of the story. A little more detail and a few pics: https://advrider.com/f/threads/taking-the-long-way-home-a-scooter-across-labrador.1344637/

Nick
    superfunkomatic and Eastbayview like this.
  5. LittleMac

LittleMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone hear or know if 138 is going to be connected between Kegashka and Vieux-Fort ? There had been talk of it but all’s quiet now. I would really be interested in doing a loop trip next time.
  6. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but they're doing it section by section. In 2019 they're planning to do the section between Kegaska and La Romaine.
    sleepyhead65 and LittleMac like this.
  7. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did that road back i 2013. From Red Bay on all the way to shortly before Happy Valley Goose Bay it was all gravel. The only part that was really hard to ride was just after Red Bay, where the roadworks guys had used some kind of round marbles on the road surface. Otherwise my KLR 650 had no problems with that highway. Much worse were some parts into Quebec with deep holes and sand.

On the ferry to Labrador I talked to an older gentleman from the US who came on a Harley. He did not know what was ahead of him and expected pavement all the way to HVGB. When I met him there again two days after my arrival he was totally exhausted and done with that kind of riding, obvioulsy the Harely was not the best choice for that kind of road service. I later thought about him when I had to get through those really bad sections in Quebec. Poor guy, hope he made it without crashing! At the other hand it makes me a bit sad that the road will now be soon all pavement. Normally in THAT climate unpaved roads are easier to maintane.
  8. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if there are plans for any of the other great northern roads of Canada to be paved? I am especially thinking about the Dempster. That one was REALLY bad when it had rained for a few days!
  9. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what are the fuel intervals?
  10. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuel available at various spots between the Ferry at Blanc Sablon and Port Hope-Simpson.
    From Port Hope-Simpson heading inland it's 410 kilometres to the next fuel at Happy Valley / Goose Bay
    Next fuel heading west is at Churchill Falls - 288 kms
    Next gas at Labrador City - 243km
    South of Labrador City - next gas at Relais Gabriel - 270kms
    Relais Gabriel to gas at Manic 5 - 101kms
    Manic 5 to gas at Baie Comeau - 216kms
    Maggot12 likes this.
  11. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    There isn't any permafrost along the TLH. It's not an ideal place for pavement, but it's much better than the dirt. Most of Labrador will be frozen from November to May, so it doesn't go through as much freeze-thaw cycles as a lot of Canada. The big problems with the road are in the spring time during the melt when things wash out, and the mud that happens with all the wetness. I'm originally from Labrador City (left in 1990 but spent a couple summers in the 2000s driving back and forth down the TLH while working for the power plant in Churchill Falls), and it wasn't uncommon back in the day for the grocery store shelves to be bare in the spring because the trucks couldn't get through the mud for a week at a time. Even in May 2008 we had 4 or 5 days where Churchill Falls ran out of most food at the grocery store because of the road conditions.

I don't believe there are any plans for getting the Dempster paved. There isn't the same sort of political pressure there as in Labrador where the region contributes to the province in an economically huge way (mining and power generation) but gets shafted when it comes to services and infrastructure.
    'Bob' and Maggot12 like this.
  12. sleepyhead65

sleepyhead65 Honda Varadero XL1000, Suzuki DR650

Oddometer:
    That will be a lot of years before a loop.
  13. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to hear about road conditions and road work for Spring 2019. I've got a trip planned for Newfoundland and the Trans-Lab for early June.

Yeah, I know it'll be cold and rainy then. It's the only window I can take leave and I'd really like to see some icebergs...
  14. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heated gear and a rain jacket and you'll be alright! You will certainly be able to see some icebergs! Check out https://icebergfinder.com/ for finding the icebergs. I spent some years working in ice research engineering with the company that runs the site.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  15. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. That iceberg finder is pretty cool!

We'll be spending a day or two around L'Anse aux Meadows, which seems to be a good 'berg spot according to your link.

I've got a heated jacket and grips and full Gore-Tex, so I think I'm prepared enough. I'm just hoping we don't run into a freak big snow storm. I'll be there the first week in June.

Does anyone know what road construction is planned for early June on the Trans Lab (510, 500, or 389)?
    MikefromNL likes this.
  16. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    That whole area is great for it. It's not a long ride to skip from the Straits side of the peninsula to the Atlantic side. Between there and St. Anthony, you would have to have some pretty bad luck to not see a berg or 50.

If you are looking for accommodation or a REALLY good, authentic Newfoundland outport experience in the Lanse Aux Meadows area, consider Skipper Hots Lounge and Snorri cabins in Straitsview just a few km from the VIking settlement. They're run by a great family that I can't recommend enough. The best kind of people.
    You can probably expect an evening of traditional Newfoundland music played live by the crowd who happen to be in the bar that night.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  17. Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paving the road will certainly make it less of a challenge, and no longer an adv only kind of trip. But as someone who lives in central Labrador, and who does the road in one direction or the other every year with a camper in tow, I can tell you I'll be happy to have it all paved.
    Maggot12 and MikefromNL like this.
  18. ravinerat

ravinerat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I did it in 2016. In the rain of course.
    Hogges likes this.
  19. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's now paved up to the Cartwright junction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    @LosTabarnacos ..... paved from Port Hope north to the Cartwright junction?