The Death of the Trans-LABRADOR Highway

Discussion in 'Canada' started by nick949eldo, Sep 3, 2018.

1. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes.

In fact it's paved from Blanc-Sablon up to the Cartwright junction. It remains about 210 km of gravel between the Cartwright junction and Goose Bay.
  2. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Looks like by the time I finally get aroudn to doing this trip, the road will be entirely paved. I'm also interested in the extension of hwy 138 from kegaska to old fort so that I can do a big loop. Anyone know how that's progressing? Last I heard, work was supposed to start in 2019.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I have yet to go and it's on my bucket list. Having it paved will be awesome. Lots of folks with rv's motorhomes will be loving this, who wouldn't otherwise make the trek.

If they make a big loop of it, that would be great as well.

4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My heart is broken. Hopefully the power line route from Blanc Sablon to Crooks Lake will remain passable (barely passable, preferably).
  5. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's an interactive map of the powerline route from Muskrat Falls to L'Anse Amour, overlaying the route on Google Maps.

http://weather.amec.com/nalcor-LCPTR

No sign of the powerline in the satellite images (yet). However, numerous water crossings are quite evident, some rather large. Have these been crossed with causeways & culverts? Hand ferries? Catapults?

[edit] I see that one of the image segments immediately east of the Muskrat Falls station shows the powerline route. Hopefully additional updates will follow soon.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not sure how one can be upset about this.

This is huge for the folks in Labrador. Bringing goods across the area, tourism, etc. Wife got family up there that would visit us in Halifax yearly for a number of year. He destroyed a windshield on nearly every trip and a ton of body damage on a few new trucks. And that's just the 1 family that I know.

I would have liked to do it on the bike. But like others, it's just turns into a trek to get through.

Pavement will allow for RV travel and really take in "The Big Land".

Not sure what they got for provincial parks, but I'd like to take in a few and do some trout fishing.

7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Pinware river at the start is the PP.
  8. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    I keep hoping for a highway 138 connection between the western and eastern sections to be made. It would be nice to travel to Blanc Sablon along the coast and jump the ferry to Newfoundland.

I took a popup trailer across the TLH a number of years back. That was a true adventure! I went through six tires on the camper and ripped out a section of the floor, and bent an axle. Regardless, it is still one of the family's most memorable trips. I would like to do it again once it is all paved (so I don't go through as many tires!)
    MikefromNL likes this.
  9. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I worked surveying the dikes and dams around the Smallwood reservoir for Churchill Falls, I used to have three full size spares in my truck. I averaged 1-2 flats a day. I had to get picked up by helicopter one time after going through all of them in one day. CF(L)Co at the time had a full time tire shop for company vehicles.
  10. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    Yep, a real tire killer! I blew a tire on my van right at Churchill falls on the Friday of a long weekend. The guys at the Churchill Falls power generation maintenance shop fixed our tire for us and got us on our way. I didn't get the helicopter ride, unfortunately!
    MikefromNL likes this.