The decline of stand alone sat nav

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by iggs, Mar 18, 2015.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not a matter of "excuse not to read" extensions. The Extensions are vendor specific. This enables a vendor to provide additional levels of detail within any GPX data type (Waypoint, Track, Route). Companies create their own GPX schema for defining Extensions; some of that code may be binary - as in the case shown in my "B" section above labeled <gpxx:Subclass>. Although it is required that vendors publish GPX Schema, they do not have to offer up their Nav Engine code to others.

I should also add, that since a vendor's GPX Schema is published online, other vendors can choose to read/write those extensions: minus the binaries of course. For example, FURKOT.com will Export Waypoint data like Address/Phone# in GPX Garmin Extensions.
  2. apleschu

apleschu Chief Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I understood you quite well. And still, if you read my post I said, some extensions will stay to be vendor specific, but the simple ones, as in this example the routing points ... I see no reason to.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    not!

windows 7 & mapsource for me...and i'm in mapping and IT.
    both are stable, mature and user friendly.

i create ALOT of paved road routes and save them as a .gpx for clients and others. mapsource and the latest city navigator make this incredibly easy and fast. less so with basecamp.

i then can quickly view that in google earth and verify things. i'm sure the open source maps and some of the pc programs to create routes work but imo no reason to change when mapsource works SOOO well.
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Back to the original topic though...... I don't think the dedicated Sat/Nav is going bye-bye, but the unit sales will decline to the point where mfgrs are going to be forced to drastically drop prices. Perhaps a new "player" will emerge (obviously from China) and shake things up. There is still value of a nav device that you can easily operate while moving down the road. You can't realistically do it with a smartphone (not counting those ginormous "phablets").
  5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Now you are back to the original issue. How to create a route so that ANY Nav software will calculate the same path: add more waypoints!
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

Something with unique hardware, like rugged and an eink display, might change some peoples thoughts, but even a cheap China unit still means carrying and extra device. Since I carry a smartphone anyway, I need something really good to convince me to carry more devices.

And what is wrong with a phablet phone? :D
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I agree, and have been converted to smartphone GPS. Just saying the large-screen, fisher-Price user interface still has it's place. Oh, nothing wrong with a phablet or ipad mini type of device - those are actually THE perfect GPS if you have room. Those just are not practical on a sportbike.
  8. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just throwing this out there (social hand grenade??)

A lot of the people on this thread just haven't worked out how to use google maps (insert other app of choice) to achieve their goals.

For on road navigation there are plenty of stunning apps that work far better than stand alone units. And they are in effect free

Which is why stand alone consumer gps's have moved from a technology must have for Everyman just 5 years ago to obsolete now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, I have no idea what Google maps are? I do know I don't need any maps to achieve my goals.

Many (most) users of handheld standalones never Navigate so stunning and free are of no value.

I would determine a product is "obsolete now" when sales plummet and manufacture quits production. Standalones are a long way from that status now but who knows.

It appears to me that many of the phone users on this forum have no idea what most standalones are used for.
  10. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great post Dan. I am saving that one to send to friends who don't get it.
  11. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    It is kind of funny reading the impassioned posts in this thread from people who will never use a ____________ again, or will only use a ___________ for the rest of their lives. Fill in the blank with your personal choice.

The answer for me is there is the right tool for a need, sometimes more than one. Personal preference always comes into play, as does a personal experience that may different than what is generally experienced by others.

What is frustrating is people who wander in thinking theirs is the only right answer. Also people who wander through expressing frustration at not being able achieve a result the first time with a tool that will fill their need - if they will only take the time to learn. It would be like me walking up to a lathe, and then complaining because the first time I used it I couldn't produce a perfect bushing.
  12. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true.
    For me, I used stand alones for a LONG time. In fact, at one point about 20 years ago I had a laptop in a side case, running a remote GPS antenna, with an audio feed to my helmet. That worked. Not to well. :huh
    For years I ran stand alones. Then for years I ran a stand alone alongside a phone. Now for years I have only use the phone.
    Occasionally, I have been on a group ride and the fearless leader pulls off the road and starts poking at their stand alone GPS. I pull up and ask what is wrong and they start hating on their device. I just say follow me, and the rest of the day I lead. The problem isn't his device. The problem is his inexperience with it.
  13. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you get off the route by missing a turn or something.
  14. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    True enough.
  15. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a long-time 'smartphone as GPS' evangelist who has *never* owned a dedicated GPS**, I would actually consider one. But only IF it met certain requirements, particularly an operating system I can access (preferably Android) where I could install applications of my choice, modern hardware components (such as gorilla glass & high-res touch screen), and at a price point that is competitive. Having a form-factor that is more bike-friendly would be nice though I've gotten by without it..

**Well, not quite true. I actually bought a Garmin Nuvi (can't remember which version) a few years ago thinking that there must be something worthwhile since they are sooo popular! I was somewhere between my Windows Mobile devices and committing to Android. Tried it for a week before sending it back. I just could not stand what I considered to be pathetic navigation software, particularly the user interface, and 'cheap' dated hardware. Trying to plan a trip on the device was an exercise in futility. And I refused to be tied to having a laptop computer with me all the time! And the constant 'RECALCULATING, RECALCULATING'. Was there no way to turn that bit*h off..? That's when I bought my Samsung Android music player. Twice the functionality at almost half the cost..
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Of course it won't disappear. Aircraft and boats will still use dedicated Sat/nav systems. But in the regular consumer market where GPS is used for mostly finding a point and routing a person too it, why would anyone buy a standalone device anymore when their cellphone is gonna do the same thing just as well? The Garmin Nuvi I have in my truck hasn't even been turned on in the last 2 years.

As for operating a nav device while riding down the road, I've seen 2 people crash doing this. It's probably more stupid then texting while driving.
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    As an interested observer of the GPS market and general techno-geek, I would agree that the standalone GPS market is decreasing but not in the way some may think. The Automotive device market is shrinking very fast - the Garmin [and other Nav Co's] 10K Annual Report tells the story well. Although not showing actual model sales numbers, it is obvious that when Garmin's On The Road sales fall by double digits year to year, there is a shift in consumer interest. I think it is obvious that more people are using their smartphone in their cars. I don't think it is so obvious that there are a significant number of people using there smartphones on Motorcycles. If fact, I think the motorcycle GPS market has room to grow and the following is my logic. Garmin has not scaled back their model line in the past 2-3yrs and continues to enhance the product offerings. Why would a company do this if they perceived a significant market retreat. In addition, why would the second largest GPS producer, TomTom, introduce a new Motorcycle product after several years of neglect. This following the Managing Director of Consumer Products (and TomTom co-Founder) saying in a public interview that she uses her smartphone in her car to navigate (using TomTom software/maps of course).

Another hit to the smartphones-will-take-over-the-Moto-market theory. The cell phone market in the US is just now starting to move closer to the way the rest of the worlds sales model works. That being, no subsidized phones by service providers. Why is that of importance? Because when you pay in the range of $600-$900 for a smartphone (that's what they cost new when not subsidized) one may not want to experiment with using it in such a harsh environment given that the vast majority of smartphones are not rugged nor warranted against dust/water ingress.

Personally, I'm still in the standalone device camp as I have yet to find a better overall solution but that is not to say I wouldn't like to see several "smartphone features" added to my next standalone GPS.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Honestly I haven't had any real issues with this. I convert whatever route someone gives my into a track, load it up in the phone and then navigate it.
  19. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    And I always do the same. But, how do we know that the route used to create the Track, was calculated the same as the original path/route? I don't think we do unless we can confirm the path with the originator.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

mmmm, lathe. makes my mouth water.

but, THAT lathe doesn't have a taper attachement, or the ability to chase theards, and the babbit bearings are shot, and the drip oilers are full of sawdust (trying to conserve resources on the antique), and the headstock only has two speeds

and it's got an overhead belt fed
    so somebody has to stoke the fire at 530 each morning if we're going to get steam
    and the cat walk is full of spiders up there to change sheaves

and... lookyhere... we gots a new latherthingerbobber.

brand new ways
    self oiling
    10" through headstock
    three steadys
    tailstock with brand new live centers
    rapid traverse (woohoo!!!)
    metric and 'merican threads
    synchros on the change gear
    even a... omgosh... pattern attachement ?
    cnc abillities with a bar feeder ?
    digital readou.... HOLD ON THATS FOR SISSYS !

ok i'll stop now. that was just too far.

thread highjack over. :)