The decline of stand alone sat nav

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by iggs, Mar 18, 2015.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And it STILL can't turn round parts.....
  2. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    mmmmmm, Polygon Milling :tb
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :thumb

No, not a hijack, great analogy.

I've watched guys with a little belt driven 2 foot long turn out exactly what they need, while others will go for a hugely expensive CNC to do the same thing.

Two different tools, same outcome. :freaky
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    but .. . wait a sec... hold on... wtf ? wowzers.

that's some serious math happening. wow again. thanks for that link. :)

yeppers. that thing that chrisjk showed happening. ya, i could make it on manuals, but the 'do overs' pile would be visible from space, and i don't have enough years left to complete two of them !

lol
  6. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess you could be right there. Anytime someone gives me a route that I convert, it's usually one that a group of us is using. As far as I can tell we all seem to be following it the same regardless of the device we're using so far since I've been using an Android device as a GPS. The beauty of this set up is I've never had either Locus or Osmand complain about having too many points in the track. :lol3
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How could that BBC article fail to mention the rise in in-dash GPS?

I'm sure lots of people use their phones for GPS. The timing also coincides with GPS available in the dash of even the cheapest compacts with the lowest upgrade of trim-level.

I'm not sure that motorcycle accessories are a big enough sales figure to be included in cost-of-living calculations.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point, you are correct. It is much more economical to have a car OEM radio/GPS/information giant screen than purchase a stand alone GPS with the same size screen that is attached to a sand bag and a cell phone is way too small for driver use. Cell phone is great for passenger to help driver find one location but not friendly on vacation type long trip.

In the early days, I used a hand held in car which I had to hold in my hand to see now it is a Nuvi on dash. I just bought an older car with in dash and it is great but antique GPS system and very user unfriendly so I never use it. If the OEMs would install an in dash open system that was easy to update like the street standalones it could be the beginning of the 10 year end of street standalones.

As to second point, Trail Tech seems to be doing quite well in that nitch market.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Yup, the in-dash setups aren't anymore standalone then a cell phone is. They do multiple things besides GPS. As for the newer systems, hell cars are coming with built in wifi now. The in-dash system GPS data will update a heck of a lot more often then any stand alone GPS will and do it automatically in the background.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be accurate, it is just an in-dash display that could support many in car subsystems. I have no idea where he GPS system is located.

I loved the rear view camera until it quit coming on when in reverse.
  13. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The article that started this was about dropping standalone GPS from the cost of living calculations. The author attributed it to the rise of cell phone navigation.

In-dash GPS doesn't have to be standalone to help kill the standalone GPS.
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Love the rear view camera in my truck. Makes hooking up a trailer by myself a breeze!
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES loss of that is what really pisses me off. Especially for tandem axel which is impossible to move sideways.
  16. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    after using Osmand with offline maps around the greater Bangor area of Maine yesterday just to see how it would route me, I feel sorry for anyone who might use it not being familiar with the area.....my Nuvi 50 does so much better...
    I know this is not what some on this thread want to hear but the auto routing in this area sucks... and yes, Brouter is up to date....
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:

it could be that the number of cars new enough sold to have in dash is miniscule compared to the number of cellphones sold, and used as navigation every day.

I've watched in traffic, and there are quite a few of the newer Lexus and Ford vehicles that have the infotainment thing set to music controls, while the iPhone does the navigation. you know, in that sweet spot the Tomtom, garmin, and magellan, used to occupy.
  18. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is how I see it. had an 09 GSA with a trusty stand alone Garmin 665. Then I got my 15 GSA with the integrated Nav V. It is in my opinion a part of the bike and is much more than a stand alone GPS. In my car the I phone works great. On the bike I love that integrated Nav v
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    And you can expect to see more of that type of GPS "integration" and not just with BMW Motorcycles...if I'm reading the tealeaves correctly.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    brouter usually does a good job of sticking to the user's predetermined requests for travel types. i'm definitely NOT saying it's perfect, but those settings make a big difference on which roads will be used.

what i'm really curious about though, is why you used BRouter instead of Osmand's built in routing mechanisms ? They are even better than BRouter in most instances, and more options for roads traveled are right there in the application.