The decline of stand alone sat nav

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by iggs, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I imagine most on this thread are like me and don't use auto-routing for anything more then getting to a gas station or restaurant. For me the whole reason for routing is to pre-plan my route then navigate it. Probably why its not mentioned very often in these threads.
  2. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    And that is why I'm still using my Zumo 550 and Basecamp. I can punch up a route before I ever leave and let the little lady in the magic box let me know when to turn. I get so caught up in looking around and enjoying the ride that I'll ride right past the designated turn everytime.

And I've learned to use the system to the point now that mid trip route changes aren't a huge deal.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there were two threads on this subject but this is the only one I could find.

I ask the guys running the GPS table at this year's November LA B-V what people were using.

Of the 500 riders, most had GPS and this is what they had: I would say 50% old Garmin (76 and 60), 42% new Garmin (Montana, 78, Oregon, 62, 64, etrex 20) 5% Trailtech voyager, and 3% smart phones.

Several inmates predicted that phones would eliminate stand alone GPS but that is not happening at Dual Sport events yet.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you can have multiple versions of Mapsource on your PC. Click on the Mapsource exe file version that you want to us and it will start up with that version. I made shortcuts to 3 different versions of mapsource depending on which GPS I was using.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jerry,

Keep in mind that it is irrelevant that there is a feature in an old MapSource version that would set a "Show on Map" bit in the GDB exported file. Why, you might ask, is it irrelevant? Because, ALL of Garmin's GPS devices since 2004 are using a Garmin GPX 'format' that does not support 'Show on Map'. So, even if you have the old MapSource and set all of your Tracks to 'Show on Map', when that file is read by your GPS, it will ignore that coding since it has to translate the GDB to GPX and there is no GPX equivalent for 'Show on Map'.

Garmin could easily create the GPX Track Extension code for 'Show on Map' but that would mean updating every current Garmin GPS that supports Tracks with that new code. I suppose if you could get a petition signed by 10K-20K Garmin registered device owners you might get Garmin's attention.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt even that would work. Really, all Garmin is interested in right now is getting into the personal fitness tracker "game". There's a LOT more money to be made on these masturbation trackers (that's really all these wrist-based devices are good at - currently the best wrist type units are approximately 20% off as far as accuracy compared to the older, proven chest strap units like the traditional Polar monitors). The fitness industry is a multi-billion dollar cash cow, the motorcycle GPS side of it is miniscule comparatively.
  7. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    I wonder if my Garmin still works...I haven't used it in over two years. The iPhone has become my go to device.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    NOT true at all. Did you see the numbers above. 50%-60% of customers at events still have last generation units. I give them Tracks with on/off set and ready to ride. The new generation guys get gpx file then have to screw around with Tracks for 15 minutes before they can ride. Probably one of many reasons why none of them switch to new generation until their old one fails.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i'm pretty surprised by the number of trailtechs at that event. the faq section on the main site suggested garmins were the only way to go

This part is foreign to me- you can't just access the gps' database and turn on tracks / waypionts / overlays / whatever as you want to ?
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected re: irrelevant. For half of your users (with discontinued software/hardware) receiving a GDB file is apparently of some value. Especially given your suggestion that the users who don't get the Tracks already set to show on the map will spend 15 minutes doing what should only take one or two. Familiarity comes with use so this would indicate to me that a significant percentage of your Dual Sport riders don't use their GPS much and therefore have minimal knowledge of the devices features.

I suppose that's why my GPS classes are full - and here I thought it was my dynamic personality.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many bikes do not come with resettable odos so many owners opt for Trailtech with built in GPS but 5% of 500 was only 25.

On all Garmins with Track features, you can go to the Track Manager page and you are able to set on/off and color of each Track.

On 2-day loop Dual Sport rides, riders usually need all Day 1 Tracks On and all Day 2 Tracks off to avoid confusion. On 1-Day loop ride they need before Lunch On and After Lunch off. With old generation Garmins (50-60% of riders), I have the correct ON/Off already set and can download them with that status. On mew generation Garmin & any micro SD card (& phones), I only copy a gpx file which does not have the On/Off bit for each Track. I must than also give them a piece of paper (very high tech) telling them which Tracks to turn for the start.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK that was "The Donald" talk! In that language 15 minutes is really 15 seconds so I should have said 1-2 hours! Yes many customers only GPS for Events or perhaps just with map and No Tracks for every day riding.

Actually what takes so long is the new "Garmin has a better idea of what you need" feature of listing Tracks by proximity not Alpha-Num! All my Tracks have Alpha-Num names. Actually 2 digit num, 1st digit is day, 2nd digit is order for that day followed by EW (easy way), HW (hard way), etc. So I tell them "Turn on all Day 1 Tracks" and then they go on Easter egg hunt to try to find them. At the end of 1st day everyone must turn Off Day 1 and Turn on Day 2. Again old unit users just start at top setting Off until they come to the ones that need On. while the new unit users look at each one and change it.
  13. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    The 'problem' has always been there and will continue to be since most hikers/hunters want to know what's close to them. By the way, the newer Garmin On The Road (Motorcycle) devices do sort Tracks alphabetically.

[​IMG]
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

lol at that last bit! sounds like the problem exists between the seat and the bars, not the hardware or software at all. thanks for the explanation
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always ? ? ? I think ALL the last generation (from e-map to 60/76 etc) units were all alpha, and it switched with the 62/78/Montana. Good point about hikers/hunters. Also good for motorcycles on the trail, just not good at the motel looking at all Tracks. As said before choice would be great.

I don't ride On The Road so have never seen a Garmin one. What models?

Will they all change ABC Inn to ABV Inn?
  16. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Always, meaning the late model Garmin's - sorry.

The zumo 390/590 and BMW Navigator 5. Correct your spelling? No, that's my job - fail.
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way too (or to or two ?) late for me. Got glasses in the 3rd grade and have no idea what the hell they were talking about in the 1st % 2nd.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I wish we had better sample sizes to work with, 500 just isn't reflective of the number of devices in use in a daily basis:

http://qz.com/390119/at-least-10-of-los-angeles-uses-waze-to-beat-traffic-jams/

I wonder how many of those people own motorcycles, or ride them off road occasionally.

either way, is fairly apparent that getting in a car and going somewhere new means putting their iPhone/Android up on the dash and googling their way.
  19. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I do enjoy using Waze. (Especially the notifications it gives you....)
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thais was not a sample, it was everyone that entered the largest Dual Sport ride in SoCal, LA Barstow to Vegas. Best I remember it is about the same result I get at most of my smaller rides. Back to the subject for events, cell phones have not even started to be used. More TraiTech units show up than cell phones.

True the number of people in the general population who ride Dual Sport events is very small.