The definitive Aurora Cockpit Thread...

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by braaap!, Jun 14, 2020.

1. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I bit the bullet and stumped for the Aurora Kit :)

As others have noted, the kit design, components, delivery & sales support are 110%. As is Aurora's communication in English!!! Thankyou Aurora.

Given the focus, thought a seperate specific thread would be worthwhile for others who take the plunge and this thread would provide a resource and single point of communication for both owners and Aurora rather than trawling through the generic threads that invariably go off topic...

X posted over in the Windscreen thread... And now added here.

What a joy to unpack and check off all the parts, beautifully wrapped, marked and protected.

I placed the main carton over a wheely bin and started to hive off the poly packing beads, removing each labelled, bagged & wrapped component... Cough, the bag with the lower shroud screws and rubber well nuts opened and some fell into the bin (doh)... Everything unpacked finally, so I up-ended the bin on the shop floor and set the magnet wand to work... Found 'em all :)

My install:
    Started Saturday morning but had interlopers in the workshop making all sorts noise, asking, 'ask-hole' questions'... taking tools out of my tool drawers and leaving em willy nilly scattered around... Not returning tools and shit, FFS!

My patience sorely tested!

Here, finally all assembled and still loose like a 4yo's front tooth...

[​IMG]

I'm getting there slowly. It's like assembling a big, tech infested 'meccano' set.

Anyway, have now worked my way through the whole cockpit wiring & re-route - re-wrap exercise (first time requires undivide attention - and no 'ask-holes' interjecting and saying 'yeah but what if you did X Y Z'... Pheh, Fook off!).

The Aurora youtube video is great, but a bit of a PITA pausing (sped up video), rewinding and replaying, to catch the subtleties of the involved process.
    Believe that Aurora will have a voiceover on the vid in a few days... Maybe some slow-mo would help at each critical point of the install.
    Photo orientation in the email instructions did my head in until I rotated images ;)

If I may suggest:
    That the main tower backbone fasteners are referred to as No1 - No6 for clarity... Working from the bottom (spider clamp) up to the top... Would clarify the weave of the loom from bottom to to top.
    How to dress (cleanly) the secondary harness with the TESA tape is made a bit more clear... Maybe a diagram with each connector clearly identified (marked) so that those connectors which are going up and those going down is clear.

Once started (without distractions) the install and assembly all becomes evident with some trial and error... The Aurora build quality is par excellence!

It pays to be 100% on routing all the cables wihin the tower and ensuring LH and RH control cables retain slack for steering lock to lock....

I just need to work out how to elimimate the clash I have on near full LH lock between the front brake MC and the TFT...
    Be keen to get some insight from others as to what they did as a work around...

But all in all, energised and all is good, no error codes on the dash and everything (obvious) works as it should.

Can't wait to get out on the road / trail!

Thanks Team Aurora!!!! @640 Armageddon
  2. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the good words and for the ideas which will be incorporated in the video! it's really nice to see people giving us ideas on things and we do our best to incorporate them.

Regarding the lights. The controller does the following. First time you turn the hey on, the position light is on. This is to preserve the battery. A lot of people have do work on their bike and turn the key on and off, and while also you are waiting for for the bike to warm up, there is no power draw. Once rolling, the controller is informed by the canbus that the bike is moving and turns on the lights until you turn off the bike.

For the speedo, this is Gen4 back plate which will be coming to all of you free of charge . it is in production as we speak, should have it ready in 10 days or so.

Looking for forward for the road tests!

Screenshot_20200614_135004.jpg
    leekdesign, braaap!, CaseyB and 2 others like this.
  3. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s cool.
    I haven’t been paying attention to most of the stuff that’s come out over the past winter, but this appears to be top of the 2 (that I know of) rally kits for this pig so far. Well done.
    braaap! likes this.
  4. leekdesign

leekdesign Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally bought a used Aurora Rallykit and cant wait to get my hands on that piece of art!
    CaseyB and braaap! like this.
  5. braaap!

Oddometer:
    I can only say, the Aurora kit is very 'factory' in the design, engineering and quality of the parts.
    A very clever component like this doesn't materialise out of thin air...
    Aurora Canbus harness.jpg

Sourcing the matching connnectors... Let alone what's inside that clever black box.
  6. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Thanks @640 Armageddon !

Now that you mention the Gen4 bkt, it jogged my memory having seen that it was mentioned in another thread somewhere... Hopefully this thread will assist in keeping such details in one place and be of benefit for other kit owners during their own installs and tests :thumb

The feature of the lights not turning on until engine start and rolling is brilliant! I'm paranoid of battery drain when working on the bike / electrics, so much so that I disconnected the battery before disassembly and only reconnected once everything was loosely arranged and ready to test fire... It's a relief when everything works as it should :)
    I'm going to order the neat USB outlet from you too :)

Cheers!
    640 Armageddon and leekdesign like this.
  7. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Aurora for listening to your customers. I noticed that you are now at Gen4 for the mounting plate, and that the bottom flange on the Gen 3 is gone. I believe that will allow me to keep the accessories dash that I designed without any further modifications. Of course only actual fitting will tell.

Yet another shining example of what a great company they are to work with. Thanks again @640 Armageddon .
    braaap! and 640 Armageddon like this.
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I originally posted these in the general windscreen thread, but as they are specific to the Aurora screen, I am posting them here and deleting the previous posts...

At nearly full lock, the base of the MC res where the banjo bolt attaches does hit the TFT. It is only 1-2mm away from full lock, so even if pushed, it only deflects the TFT less than the rubber grommets are made to absorb. Of course on a high energy/high speed impact, it may have enough energy to damage the TFT electronics. I doubt it would damage the screen.
    20200614_230419[1].jpg

My handlebars are in the middle bolt hole offset to the rear. Just like @SoilSampleDave and you @braaap! I have the TCM mount for the Scotts damper blocking the first hole. The rotation of the handlebars, as well as the rotation of the brake lever will affect where the MC contacts the TFT. You can see my handlebar markings to compare with your rotation unless you are using an AM bar.
    20200615_103926[1].jpg

As requested, here is side view of the mounting position of the TCM damper mount.
    20200615_104027[1].jpg
    braaap! and 640 Armageddon like this.
  9. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Especially for you the Aurora text has gone off the bottom to allow you to further customise your bracket :)
    Gen4 also allows for more room as it moves both units further away from the bars.
    braaap! and kubcat like this.
  10. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Thank you for making that modification. Hopefully the good words that I and others speak about you and your company will make up for the eliminated logo.
    braaap! likes this.
  11. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Don't sweat about it. Usually we are discrete and this can be seen throughout the kit. It was the only time we laser cut the Aurora text, we usually put the emblem around. These small design changes cost nothing to us and if it makes a better layout for the customer, then 100% with that. :beer
    perlx, braaap!, CaseyB and 2 others like this.
  12. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Great idea on the dedicated thread! My bike is sitting at the dealer getting some warranty work, but when I get it back, I'll do some posting.
    braaap! likes this.
  13. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did someone say Aurora?
    [​IMG]

Does this mean I get to cross post all my shit? :lol3

I'll save the loading time and space -> Gallery

I look forward to seeing how people approach the build. I know I have room for improvement on my end.

Just recently got out for the first time, first time being a real riding trip for me. No highway but a lot of 2 track and scenic roads. Will add some vid when I get some free time. Overall my happiness with the sex tower has not diminished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sheath, WB11, zzzak and 6 others like this.
  14. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Just looking over the tower setup makes the bike feel 20lbs lighter - seriously! You will now get my standard question to all Aurora tower people. Have you actually had your bike out at night and adjusted your headlight? Yours looks like it is still in as-shipped position. I had to angel mine up quite a bit to get the low beam where I wanted it.
    braaap! likes this.
  15. leekdesign

leekdesign Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice Gallery!
    braaap! likes this.
  16. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    Good eye Dave. I messed with it before my trip but ran out of time fiddling and just buttoned the bike back up because I had to leave. Prior all my moto time was spent hunting down my electrical gremlins.

I rode a trail at night but kept my high beam on. That was fun. My low beam needs work.

Thank you.
  17. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:

Very nice looking set up.
    How well does the Aurora screen work?
    How do you rate the SC pipe please? Removable insert, noise, any difference in performance (no loss of performance), quality?

Also have you removed the passenger grab rails to mount the Mosko bags?
  18. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    BDG likes this.
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    It’s all personal, and also height-sensitive, talking about the screen. I was second-guessing myself on the Aurora screen until some small tweaks, like moving the handlebars and trying a different helmet, made it OK. But adding the spoiler on top really moved the needle. I would have no problem eating up some highway now. The low fender also removes a LOT of wind noise. In fact, I didn’t realize how ridiculously loud the RallZ front tire was until I did that.
    BDG and 1coolbanana like this.
  20. leekdesign

leekdesign Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally I have got the kit. But I have one question. How long you needed to install the kit?
    CaseyB likes this.