1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The definitive Aurora Cockpit Thread...

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by braaap!, Jun 14, 2020.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write a comprehensive answer. I might just grab a cheap android tablet and start playing with it. I did try one a couple years ago and returned it to the store. With iOS, all you have to do is Google anything you can’t figure out and there are tons of answers. With the Android questions I had at the time, answers were few and far between. I honestly think my questions were so basic that no one needed them answered before !
  2. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    What if you put the TFT up top as Aurora originally though most people would do? Is there room for the Carpe Iter mount below? Even if the top stood a little proud and obscured a little of the TFT it would be fine as long as it could physically be mounted
  3. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since the first mount would only allow that configuration, that is what I started with using a Lenovo 7" tablet. WHen I am riding offroad, I need to keep an eye on the maps to make sure I don't miss trail intersections. I found it was too much time with my eyes off the trail to look so far down while standing. I require (want/prefer/ride more safely) the map to be up top when in challenging terrain. I only glance at the TFT once in a while in that scenario to make sure I'm not in the wrong gear for a hill coming up. Also, if you look at any rally setup, the roadbooks are quite high up. I presume for much the same reason.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  4. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Roger that. I agree I thought it was odd that it was assumed we’d want the TFT on top. Although, I guess for pure street use it might make sense.
    kubcat likes this.
  5. Jan_Blade

Jan_Blade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use the bike a lot in offroad and the windshield extension is not ideal for this. I will consider this for road use if the airflow is unpleasant
  6. Jan_Blade

Jan_Blade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your willingness! It can be seen from the photos that gen2 has more space at the top. I can try to move the whole gen3 board lower, but I'm afraid I'll run into a handlebar problem. My current setup shows that the tablet will be well above the windshield. So I'll try to make a model for sure, but it's not very promising.
  7. Jan_Blade

Jan_Blade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you ... GPS must be up for offroad. For this purpose, the board at the top is correctly inclined so that it can be clearly seen on the GPS. Another installation does not make sense.
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Even with another 3/4 inch exposed on the Carpe Iter pad, I would still run it without worry. The case seems well enough designed to withstand an occasional rock hit. But think about it - I have NEVER been hit with a rock over the top of the screen, so that's probably as often as the CI Pad will get hit - Never. Of course, if your friends roost you regularly, it will be different. In that case, get better and faster so you are roosting them!:katDirt, mud, water are a different story, but that's why I upgraded to the waterproof/shockproof tablet anyway.
  9. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave,

As always the team is trying to get something new into the table, otherwise it's a moot point for me to design something just to have the Aurora logo on it. The design which allows you to remove the cover only is something that we wanted to do for a long time and when there was some free time we went for it. It has been received very well, and the idea I think will be used by others too in the future. The problem with the black stuff you are suggesting, is the geometry of the bike itself. In some areas, even the aluminum part is so thin to fit in the cases, that it would split the plastic open as it hits it with immense force (more like a huge 'slap' as the chain goes round). To snap the bolts. Let me think... There are three M6 bolts there, have you seen that in an aluminum case cover? It can happen for sure in the plastic, (chain shears the plastic, then gets into the bolts, then banG). But thinking that it would go through the solid CNC aluminum (note: not cast, like the engine cases), it would be weird.
    What it would be good, would be to have a layer of a slider in there, teflon should work, but would need to be tight in design. Doable though in some areas of the chain protector.
    The US dealer should have in stock, if not we are constantly shipping parts to them so it's be good to send then an e-mail, Tony is very responsive and will get back asap.

D.
  10. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dimitri-
    I have seen the chain hit an aftermarket aluminum sprocket guard hard enough to snap the bolts attaching it to the case in the smaller single cylinder bikes. I haven't seen it yet in one of the big bikes, but I have seen it on big bikes like a 1090 with just the oem sprocket cover. Who is the US dealer? You keep mentioning them, but please tell me who they are and how to reach them :hmmmmm:lol3
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  11. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Easy busy!
    You should be getting this image when you go onto our website:
    upload_2021-4-23_17-31-28.png

Or you can type: https://aurora-rallyusa.com/ And you will be redirected to their website. This is the official page for US and Canada.
    In the 'About' page there is a contact form. Their info at aurora-rallyusa.com is available for a quick chat.

I don't know if the pop up is coming every time when somebody comes into our page, but there is also a 'Dealer' tab on the top of our official page that will get you a map of all the official dealers that we have across the globe. So if you travel across, then you can reach one of them for spares etc. ( direct link: https://aurora-rally.com/dealers/ )

Hope that makes sense!
    D.

Attached Files:

12. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Sure does! I think my ad-blocker software and other things kept the website from responding like it should. No worries; I have it now!
  13. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Hey wait a minute; there is only a sprocket guard for the 690; where is the guard for the 790?
  14. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    790/890 (and T700) are in the oven!
    braaap! and SoilSampleDave like this.
  15. Jan_Blade

Jan_Blade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    182590436_10159609923257682_3521032840850269299_n.jpg 182433602_10159609923242682_363648133993827689_n.jpg 182484211_10159609923247682_646130794122171868_n.jpg 182362576_10159609923137682_1130885526359354369_n.jpg [ATTACH = plný] 2958238 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = plný] 2958235 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = plný] 2958235 [/ ATTACH]
    kzeb, DirtBrain, kubcat and 3 others like this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    kubcat likes this.
  17. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Looks like mine, too.
  18. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Well hell then; it must be the right spot!
    kubcat likes this.
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    You know you are a badass hop up company when you can have your name roll marked on to a U-Bolt! Yes, I finally installed it this weekend.
    BA864B19-4328-4634-A0FB-B219999081F3.jpeg
    braaap! likes this.
  20. slider162

slider162 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to find some products that will cut through the water proof barrier of sunscreen without harming the clear plastics of the windscreen and headlight. Long story short, my daughter and her friends thought it would be fun to take a can of OFF bug repellant and a can of 50 SPF sunscreen and go around spraying everything including my windscreen and headlight. Looks like ammonia and rubbing alcohol are recommended to cut through the water proof barrier of the sunscreen. Dish soap and water wasn't touching it.