The Dorsoduro Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yooper-at-heart, Feb 4, 2010.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That will be a nicely set up machine. The only other thing I'd recommend is covering the oil filter to prevent damage from gravel/road debris. I gave away all of the rubber caps I had, but I saw something that might work in Orchard Supply Hardware the other day. They had clear tube containers with rubber caps over the ends, and called them "Viewtainer" or something. One of those caps might be the right diameter to fit over the filter. The top is split for access, but the bottom cap is solid.

[​IMG]
  2. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    My fan kicks on as soon as it hits 4 bars, and usually doesn't go any higher. It goes back to 3 bars, and the fan turns off. I did see 5 bars once when I was riding a high mountain pass very slowly on a hot day waiting on another rider.

I still have a FatDuc clone (Motocorsaro) sitting on the shelf that I need to install. After experimenting during my last track day with how the baffles effect power and engine smoothness, I would like to further experiment with the baffles and the FatDuc. I most prefer how the bike runs with uncorked exhaust, and I think I may be able to get the smoothness of the baffles using the FatDuc instead, or at least a happy medium. It would also be nice to be able to make a predictable change to the FatDuc to compensate for when I install my restrictive spark arrestors for forest riding.

[​IMG]
  3. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    Let there be light!

The stock headlight of the DD is ok but a bit yellow and dim for commuting at 06:00. My solution, a LED bulb from Amazon. A set of Dazzle of two Hi/Lo H4 LED bulbs for US $30 was a worthwhile investment that proved to work out perfectly.
    It was a simple matter of replacing the stock bulb and the reward was a wither light that might not be brighter but sure makes things more clearer and as a bonus I am more visible.
    I used the second bulb on my MG Griso with the same good result.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  4. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    My last PLANED farkle, the Oxford heated grips are installed. The DD is ready to join the heard rotation for commuting and fun.
    F0FC9E9E-EF78-4596-941F-586D82F1BE1A.jpeg
    :photog
  5. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Well, today was the „road worthy“ test of my 2014 Dorso. 250 miles, average speed 65–70mph and it got 49.5mpg. Not bad! I took my long sold XR1200 to Canada and it only got 120 miles from full to fuel light so the Dorso, whose fuel light never came on at the 100 mile mark, can do just as well.
    With the C–Bow bags and future Keiga dufflebag the Dorso will make a good road warrior.

8DF1BDA4-2388-4DD6-89EA-6C95CAD89B95.jpeg
    :clap
    bobw, YakSpout and RadicalTireSkid like this.
  6. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    That actually is bad, but better than average for a DD750. :lol3 Mine gets about 45 mpg.

I like those bags. If my Givi Easylocks break down, I will probably get some of those.
  7. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Seeing that my DD is coming up on the 12k mark, the time for a valve lash check, I started to look for the the locking pin/tool. The tool itself is a 4mm by 100mm stell pin; the stock tool runs $43 wich is way to much so a option needed to be sourced. After some Flea—Bay searching, I sourced a packet of 4 4mm x 100mm stainless steel rods for $9.95! That not only gives me the locking pin needed for the valve lash check, it also gives me some spares and the satisfaction of saving a lot of $$.
  8. RadicalTireSkid

RadicalTireSkid BURNOUT WHEELIE!!!!!

Oddometer:
    i just checked mine a couple months ago. Everything was in spec.
  9. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    As noted, I am coming up to 12k, besides the valve lash check I will change the coolant. The question is, how in the heck to drain the system?
    I know take off the lower radiator hose but that only drains the radiator and a bit of the waterpump contence; it is the rest I want to drain and start fresh. I did the search and most just regurgitate the same; any magical processes would be taken into Consideration :hmmmmm
  10. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    usually its the bottom bolt on the waterpump housing. Remove that bolt and the coolant will flow out. Don't forget to take off the rad cap.

I forget EXACTLY what I did to be honest when I drained mine...that was a couple years ago when I first got the bike.
  11. rule62

rule62 n00b

Oddometer:
  12. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas! I will try the bottom pump bolt and see if there is flow; then the lower radiator Methode with the fluid transfer pump. Between the two I should be able to get most old coolant out.
  13. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    And I thought that my Geese did not like cold! The DD argued with me this morning about starting. Normally a quick stab at the starter and it is running; took multiple stabs and a bit of throttle but it relented and off to work we went.
  14. rule62

rule62 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have experience with the Rapid Bike EVO tuning module on any of their bikes? I just installed one on my Dorsoduro and really like it so far. Just wondering if anyone else can share their insight.
  15. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    hey rule. your best chance is the apriliaforum (but i imagine you've already asked there haha). Not many DD riders use this thread.
  16. rule62

rule62 n00b

Oddometer:
    Got a whole thread about it there. Just figured I'd ask here too. So far, the RB EVO seems pretty cool.
  17. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    Yea I'll be reading through it when i get a chance. I've been putting it off until you posted results haha.
  18. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    You might try asking the question over in the "garage" section of the forum. You might get some feedback from people using it on other bikes, and possibly Italian v-twins.
  19. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    In my ongoing quest to find a easier and total way of draining the DD motor of coolant I made a interesting discovery. The waterpump cover is sealed via a “O” ring! That means no gasket and the o-ring can be reused. So, when the time comes for my 12k maintenance, all I have to do is drain the radiator and remove the waterpump to totally drain the motor; no siphoning no strange angles needed.
  20. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    I remember reading that they came both ways. Some had a gasket, and some were machined for an o-ring. Sounds like you got lucky.